34 replies to this topic

#1 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:06 AM

Here's a little food for thought. 

Since they started, the Panthers have never been known for developing great wide receiver talent.  We got some decent ones early, but aside from Smitty and Moose, as a franchise no one every really improved a ton as a receiver while they were here.

In 1995, Richard Williamson was hired as Dom Capers' WR coach.  He was retained by Seiffert, and then Fox.  He retired in 2010, and Tyke Tolbert filled in during Fox's last year--one in which no player was really developed.

In 2011-2012 our WR coach was Fred Graves, another coach who's never been known to develop a lot of wide receiver talent.

Now we have Ricky Proehl, who just finished his first season.  Did he show you anything that suggests he could be a guy that coaches up late rounders into stars?   Not a lot has been written about him this year, aside from this article at ESPN. 

So what do you think?  Did he do a good job?  Did he fail?  Is it all about the QB, which is why Brady always has good WRs?  Or is it all about talent on the roster, and we just haven't found any there?

#2 IamSoClutch

IamSoClutch

CaptainCam

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationKinston, NC

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:08 AM

I think he did great. Look at the routes he made Ted gin better at. Notablely the one against the patriots. Plus players have stated he just has a knack for teaching.

#3 chknwing

chknwing

• HUDDLER
  • 6,529 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:11 AM

A WHOLE PIE!

you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him catch a touchdown.

#4 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 14,957 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

Hard to say at this point, he was asked to make chicken salad out of chicken poo. 

#5 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,826 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:14 AM

he was a teacher as a player.

it only made sense that he became one as a coach.

i think he helped the development of ginn for sure.

i think he also helped smith some in his changing role on the field. smith said as much.

i don't know how much he helped lafell. i've said elsewhere that i believe he's peaked.

i would like to see what he can do with more talented players, tho. i think we could probably afford to draft someone raw early if they they have shown themselves to be coachable in the past.

i think he's done really well and i expect that to continue. i don't like the idea of not adding top talent because we think that we can do more with less because of proehl.

#6 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 6,872 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:18 AM

He didn't fail by any means.  As has been mentioned, Ginn runs decidedly better routes, and there was even improvement (though marginal) with LaFell's route running and blocking as well. But, basically he hasn't had too much to work with if you ask me.  The ceiling of a player is what it is.

I actually think that he has something to work with if I am to believe previous scouting reports and their respective teams trying to stash McNutt and King on the practice squad. We'll see what happens with them, but perhaps more importantly we will see what he does with the potential beasts that we will bring in here during the next several months.

#7 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:25 AM

Did he LaFail?

#8 chknwing

chknwing

• HUDDLER
  • 6,529 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:27 AM

"Rome wasnt built in a day" David Gettlemen

#9 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • 4,557 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:28 AM

you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him catch a touchdown.

Lol

#10 Panthers111

Panthers111

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:29 AM

I think the WR coach can only do so much to help the WR. Pretty much all accountability will lie on the receiver to excel.  

#11 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,498 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:39 AM

I think Proehl is a very good wide receiver coach, based on what I have heard and see. I look forward to him doing even more with who we have and plan to pick up.

#12 rscott94

rscott94

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:45 AM

Look at Ted Ginn with the Dolphins and 9ers... Then look at him with the Panthers.

He also worked with Kennan Allen before the draft. Give him a yougin to work with and I think he'll do wonders

#13 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,826 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:36 PM

Look at Ted Ginn with the Dolphins and 9ers... Then look at him with the Panthers.

He also worked with Kennan Allen before the draft. Give him a yougin to work with and I think he'll do wonders

yep.

allen had talent. i have to thihnk that a lot of the reason for his success so early had to do with prep work he had done with proehl.

#14 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,506 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:44 PM

this is the exact reason why you should invest in a young WR early in the draft. Rickey would do wonders with a young stud.

#15 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • 4,295 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:48 PM

Steve Smith has directly credited Ricky Prohel as a big influence on his career.  Ted Ginn showed a lot of promise under his tutelage.  This next season will be the test of his coaching skills because he will undoubtedly be working with some new, young talent that will need to produce right away.  Especially if Smith misses any time next season...the WR corps could be the weakest link on the team unless somebody steps up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.