Photo
- - - - -

Yahoo contributor Jonathan Wagner on Nicks.

Hakeem Nicks Jonathan Wagner Yahoo Sports Carolina Panthers 2014 free agency

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#16 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,190 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:37 PM

It's pretty clear Nicks tanked this season... overall it sounds like the guy didn't want to be a Giant anymore, there's no other explanation for how a guy goes from starting out his career like he did to what we saw this past season (even with the injury). 

I don't see any reason why we should bring in him for a look at a reasonable price. At his best he's much better than anything we've got besides Smitty and even at his worst he might still be better than most of what we've got. 

I saw this guy up close and in person at a place called Sports Connection down here in South Charlotte and I was shocked by how big he is. I've seen plenty of pro football players up close for comparative purposes and Nicks overall size and muscle density shocked me. I shook his hand and my above average sized hand was enveloped by his. The man is a physical specimen and if he can get his mind and body right he could be the guy we've been searching for ever since Moose left and more... 

it could be because he got tired of playing for coughlin. he wouldn't be the first.

#17 OneBadCat

OneBadCat

HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:37 PM

He's worth the risk on a 1-2 year contract. Get him, resign Ginn, draft a WR and we should be okay.

Why can't LaFell just be good damn it.

#18 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,190 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:43 PM

at worst he replaces lafell as a number two. supplement that with a pass catcher from the draft and an improved offensive line and we're hot to trot

that's my thinking as well.

#19 PhillyB

PhillyB

hari kari for amari

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,710 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:45 PM

i'd be hyped as fug. we'd have the cogs to repeat 2012's offensive performance if nicks did anything more than poo the bed and improve on 2013's defense... that's a deep playoff run.

#20 BeasonBeastingBacks

BeasonBeastingBacks

Farewell Sweet Prince

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:45 PM

Not going hard because the rest of the team around you is playing horribly as well doesn't sit well with me, but I understand other players mentally check out in that department as well.  But to skip treatments when people are already questioning your health from previous injuries just confounds me, screams I don't care as loud as possible.

#21 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

tengo baking soda

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,285 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:47 PM

at worst he replaces lafell as a number two. supplement that with a pass catcher from the draft and an improved offensive line and we're hot to trot

+1 for "we're hot to trot"

#22 pantherfan49

pantherfan49

Angry inventor

• HUDDLER
  • 5,455 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:47 PM

Nicks would be playing with leadership at the QB position in Carolina and a coach that players actually like.

Makes a difference.

#23 IamSoClutch

IamSoClutch

CaptainCam

• HUDDLER
  • 2,202 posts
  • LocationKinston, NC

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:49 PM

900 yards without mental effort and a bad season by Eli. Anybody who doesn't see this as a dream come true literally wants to continue to live the nightmare of our bottom ranked offense

#24 Carolina Cajun

Carolina Cajun

Short Bus Allstar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:50 PM

it could be because he got tired of playing for coughlin. he wouldn't be the first.

I've been thinking the same exact thing.  Coughlin is hard to play for, and is not a players coach.  Rivera on the other hand is considered a players coach.  With strong leadership in the locker room with Smitty, Cam, Keek, and Davis, I don't see him getting to far out of line while being in an environment that he actually can enjoy.

#25 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • 5,489 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:55 PM

He's worth the risk on a 1-2 year contract. Get him, resign Ginn, draft a WR and we should be okay.

Why can't LaFell just be good damn it.

Because he is a 4th round pick with no speed and small hands for a receiver

#26 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:59 PM

As long as the contract is right, I'd love him here. 

You are correct.  The contract he gets should be incentive-laden with a minimum signing bonus..

Nicks would be great if he plays hard, but this is about character and effort. Anyone who played the game knows that there is only 1 speed.

Maybe it was Coughlin.   Maybe it was NYC and comparisons to VC.

#27 mav1234

mav1234

• ALL-PRO
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:59 PM

If the price is right, fug yes

#28 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 14,452 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:00 PM

I don't understand how anyone can talk about and acknowledge him not giving full effort, yet still want him to join our team. That's a mindset and culture that we've been trying to change with this franchise for years now.

#29 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:05 PM

Because he is a 4th round pick with no speed and small hands for a receiver

He was a third rounder, but the point is made--that year was a terrible year for WRs in the draft.  In addition, we are not getting better at WR if we re-sign what we have--Lafell had 4 years to step up.  He flashed, but never became a #2.  Moose was a #2.

#30 h0llywood

h0llywood

I HATE LUKE KUECHLY!

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,637 posts
  • LocationPasadena, CA

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:10 PM

If he does come to Carolina, #89 will make sure he isn't loafing around.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hakeem Nicks, Jonathan Wagner, Yahoo Sports, Carolina Panthers, 2014 free agency

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com