Photo
- - - - -

Yahoo contributor Jonathan Wagner on Nicks.

Hakeem Nicks Jonathan Wagner Yahoo Sports Carolina Panthers 2014 free agency

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#31 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,884 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:12 PM

He was a third rounder, but the point is made--that year was a terrible year for WRs in the draft.

And we spent our highest pick on Clausen :(

#32 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,651 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:13 PM

I don't understand how anyone can talk about and acknowledge him not giving full effort, yet still want him to join our team. That's a mindset and culture that we've been trying to change with this franchise for years now.

I'm willing to give Nicks a one-year pass in that regard.  As far as I know he never had any kind of character or effort issues prior to last season.

Who knows, there might have been some epic falling out with the coaches behind closed doors and he just needs a change of scenery.

I think last season will be an aberration in Nicks' career.

#33 ctrcat

ctrcat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:16 PM

Gettleman and Nicks diabolical plan to tank the season and come to Carolina on the cheap. worked perfectly.

Nicks on the cheap, Ebron/Amaro/ASJ before NE can grab in the first, Moncrief/Adams/best remaining WR in a deep class in the 2nd.  Hot diggity D@MN!!!

#34 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,029 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:17 PM

And we spent our highest pick on Clausen :(

AFTER QB-starved Minnesota and Kansas CIty passed on him TWICE. :startle:

#35 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,651 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:18 PM

Yeah honestly what happened to Nicks last season is kind of best case scenario for the Panthers. If he caught 10 touchdowns with 1,400 yards we wouldn't have a shot at getting him.

#36 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,649 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:18 PM

I'm willing to give Nicks a one-year pass in that regard. As far as I know he never had any kind of character or effort issues prior to last season.

Who knows, there might have been some epic falling out with the coaches behind closed doors and he just needs a change of scenery.

I think last season will be an aberration in Nicks' career.

Let's not make this some conspiracy that absolves Nicks of any blame.

I might buy what you are saying here if he had not been fined by his own team for conduct. Not to mention he couldn't find the end zone, but he wanted to tell the media he is still a top receiver in the NFL. That's a concerning mindset in the midst of a losing season. How will he respond to adversity here?

The guy has talent, that isn't what is up for debate currently, it's what's going on upstairs. Gettleman is going to take a hard look at the whole thing.

#37 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,429 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:28 PM

900 yards without mental effort and a bad season by Eli. Anybody who doesn't see this as a dream come true literally wants to continue to live the nightmare of our bottom ranked offense

yeah...he "checked out" and still managed just under 900 yards? i'll take that.

#38 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,429 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:44 PM

oh...and was it him not finding the endzone or him not being targeted in the red zone?

that 0 TDs looks bad, but he had only one catch all year in the red zone out of 11 targets. i mean that's not great, either...but when you look at the whole picture, eli only through 18 TDs all year, and that was to 6 different receivers.

fwiw, randle had the most with 6 then cruz with 4 and then 4 more to their TE brandon meyers. after that was 4 TDs split between 3 guys.

that offense was pretty bad all year. i think you put him in a more competant offense and you'll see him return to form.

#39 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,649 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:53 PM

I'm concerned that we have to make all these excuses for a guy who's being touted as a possible savior to our receiving corps.

#40 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,429 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:14 PM

I'm concerned that we have to make all these excuses for a guy who's being touted as a possible savior to our receiving corps.

who is saying anything about him being "the savior" to our WR corps?

pretty much everyone is saying he'd be an upgrade over lafell. not much more than that.

i think he is one option among several WR FAs that could be the easiest to aqcuire and on par with the top options. i think that we should also draft a guy early...and then that guy would likely be the "savior" of the WR corps. i think most would agree with that.

nicks would just be making a fair WR corps better.

#41 jasonluckydog

jasonluckydog

Never go full retard

• ALL-PRO
  • 13,066 posts
  • LocationGATOR CREEK- SC

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:17 PM

I have some of his nicer rookie cards so that would be a plus

#42 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 6,066 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:20 PM

So he made himself affordable and created some doubt so we would not get into any kind of bidding war or his services?

Well Allright!!

Worth a Shot as Lafell has done nothing to secure the number 2 spot. A good number 2 should be a guy who could take the 1 spot if called upon and sadly Ginn was the closest thing that qe had to that which is the sad state of our WR corp.

A Normal Nicks is yes.. A hamstring problem guy but Mushin Muhammed was the same. To think we would be worse off with him is laughable.

#43 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,756 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:21 PM

Do want. His lack of effort is obviously an "I want out" signal. We will have to pay for him but he would be worth it.

#44 Mvp2014

Mvp2014

Phenom

• HUDDLER
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:23 PM

Nicks 50% >>>> Fail 120%

Nicks 50% >>>> Lafail 120%

Fixed

#45 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,649 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:23 PM

who is saying anything about him being "the savior" to our WR corps?

pretty much everyone is saying he'd be an upgrade over lafell. not much more than that.

i think he is one option among several WR FAs that could be the easiest to aqcuire and on par with the top options. i think that we should also draft a guy early...and then that guy would likely be the "savior" of the WR corps. i think most would agree with that.

nicks would just be making a fair WR corps better.

The huddle consensus seems to be that Hakeem Nicks will largely solve our woes at the position.

All along I've been against paying him big, if we can get him for a reasonable price, I'm for it. But we have no indication that he is only looking for a one year deal, or to take a cheap contract. We'll have to wait and see. It also heavily depends on just how sought after he will be once FA begins.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hakeem Nicks, Jonathan Wagner, Yahoo Sports, Carolina Panthers, 2014 free agency

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com