Photo
- - - - -

Yahoo contributor Jonathan Wagner on Nicks.

Hakeem Nicks Jonathan Wagner Yahoo Sports Carolina Panthers 2014 free agency

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#121 Icebox

Icebox

NOT NEWB

• HUDDLER
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:30 PM

Red:

Proven wrong? Do you really think that rookie wide receivers have a good track record of immediate success in the NFL? Because if not, the only thing you've proven is that you are a petulant friendless nuisance that is universally hated here at the Huddle. Everyone. Hates. You. Why don't you just leave? Find some other forum to "gift" your 10,000 "pearls of wisdom."

All you do have in your quiver is straw man arguments, personal attacks, and baseless accusations (you apparently can't decide if I am a "lurker" or I have been banned). And anyway, how can I be a "lurker" if I am posting? That doesn't make any sense.

#122 Camsfanclub

Camsfanclub

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:32 PM

1yr/1 mil with incentives.

#123 Icebox

Icebox

NOT NEWB

• HUDDLER
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:36 PM

Back on point, none of us really know what kind of contract Nicks will command. I haven't done the legwork. Can anyone think of a comparable situation and what the receiver netted in free agency?

Someone mentioned Mike Wallace, He had a disappointing year with the Steelers in 2012 (800 yards, 8 TDs), and then still managed to get a huge contract (5 year, 60 million, with 30 million guaranteed). Of course, Wallace was a bit younger and entering his prime as opposed to leaving it.

Any other comparable situation?

If that's what Nicks commands, no thanks.

#124 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,186 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:38 PM

that's funny, considering Hixon got more than that

#125 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 14,450 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:38 PM

Red:

Proven wrong? Do you really think that rookie wide receivers have a good track record of immediate success in the NFL? Because if not, the only thing you've proven is that you are a petulant friendless nuisance that is universally hated here at the Huddle. Everyone. Hates. You. Why don't you just leave? Find some other forum to "gift" your 10,000 "pearls of wisdom."

All you do have in your quiver is straw man arguments, personal attacks, and baseless accusations (you apparently can't decide if I am a "lurker" or I have been banned). And anyway, how can I be a "lurker" if I am posting? That doesn't make any sense.

I would strongly suggest you listen to the mod and let it go. TruCatzFan.

#126 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 10,186 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:39 PM

Back on point, none of us really know what kind of contract Nicks will command. I haven't done the legwork. Can anyone think of a comparable situation and what the receiver netted in free agency?

Someone mentioned Mike Wallace, He had a disappointing year with the Steelers in 2012 (800 yards, 8 TDs), and then still managed to get a huge contract (5 year, 60 million, with 30 million guaranteed). Of course, Wallace was a bit younger and entering his prime as opposed to leaving it.

Any other comparable situation?

If that's what Nicks commands, no thanks.

He might want that, but the truth is, the market sets the value.  Wallace was the only big name, homerun threat guy last year and the Dolphins gave out all sorts of funny money.  With Jones, Decker and others, I can see more like 5 yrs/32million and 10 guaranteed.

#127 Camsfanclub

Camsfanclub

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:01 PM

that's funny, considering Hixon got more than that

to be fair theyll probably play the same role LOL. Really though dont waste cap on this loser.

#128 EightyNine

EightyNine

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:10 PM

Those would have to be some pretty amazing incentives...

#129 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 10,186 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:16 PM

to be fair theyll probably play the same role LOL. Really though dont waste cap on this loser.

#130 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,199 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:11 PM

Red:

i said knock it off.

you don't listen this time and you can no longer say that you haven't been banned.

i see this go into other threads and i can promise you that you'll get a vacation from the huddle.

#131 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,732 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:53 PM

Players have been getting big contracts, and disappointing long before the 2013 season.

If you are going to make that kind of argument about the market for receivers, then I guess the market value for quarterbacks should be going down as well since some of them recently haven't lived up to their quite sizable contracts, right? I don't see either going down in price anytime soon.

I understand your point, but it's a lot more difficult to acquire a perceived franchise QB than it is to obtain an above average WR, so most GMs/owners are willing to pay more for their field general that is ultimately at the center of keeping the chains moving, even if they are only the prototypical game manager that minimizes mistakes. Moreover, there are just more good WRs than good QBs,

It remains to be seen if contracts will decrease for WRs this year, but don't be surprised when Eric Decker, Doug Baldwin, Golden Tate and Hakeem Nicks aren't paid crazy money like last year.  I see the top guy getting paid maybe 8-9 mil at most, and Nicks ain't that guy.  The days of breaking the bank for inconsistent and sometimes marginal playmakers may be done. One thing that I am fairly sure about, is that at least our GM won't be bending over with his ass to the table, unless he's mooning a mofo for asking for too much money.

#132 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 14,450 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:50 PM

I understand your point, but it's a lot more difficult to acquire a perceived franchise QB than it is to obtain an above average WR, so most GMs/owners are willing to pay more for their field general that is ultimately at the center of keeping the chains moving, even if they are only the prototypical game manager that minimizes mistakes. Moreover, there are just more good WRs than good QBs,

It remains to be seen if contracts will decrease for WRs this year, but don't be surprised when Eric Decker, Doug Baldwin, Golden Tate and Hakeem Nicks aren't paid crazy money like last year.  I see the top guy getting paid maybe 8-9 mil at most, and Nicks ain't that guy.  The days of breaking the bank for inconsistent and sometimes marginal playmakers may be done. One thing that I am fairly sure about, is that at least our GM won't be bending over with his ass to the table, unless he's mooning a mofo for asking for too much money.

I guess it depends on what you define as an above average WR. It isn't as easy as you make it sound, just ask Marty Hurney about it. There are currently two WR's in the NFL with 100+ million dollar contracts, and numerous other guys in the 30-60 million range.

Out of those guys you mentioned, I see Decker getting a decent payday. Tate, and Baldwin will get looks too, but nothing huge.

Nicks is still an unknown, but I just don't see him getting paid as small as some here are predicting.

#133 PantherFanOne

PantherFanOne

• HUDDLER
  • 2,321 posts
  • LocationRock Hill S.C.

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

With Nicks' talent and past success, it seems likely that somebody other than the Giants will pay him this offseason. He's still young, proven and probably the most talented wide receiver on the market.

The other top free agent wide receivers are Denver’s Eric Decker, Philadelphia’s Jeremy Maclin and Seattle’s Golden Tate. It’s not exactly a star-studded class.

There will be someone out there who thinks Nicks is the best bet of the bunch because there are some who believe Nicks can be the dominant receiver he was in 2010 and '11 if he's in the right situation.

“I think he’s a hell of a football player,” said Redskins defensive coordinator Jim Haslett, who faces Nicks and the Giants twice each season. “He’s big, athletic, obviously fast and strong.

“When he’s healthy, he’s one of the better ones in the league. Obviously he hasn’t been healthy for two years. To me, when he’s healthy, he’s scary. I think his issue is just health.”

Different strokes for different folks. It just goes to show that the perception on Nicks right now is all over the map.

#134 carolinarolls

carolinarolls

Mel's brother Del

• HUDDLER
  • 5,417 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:50 PM

Tar Heel or not, the guy has skill, size, speed, and hands.

if motivation is a problem, a benefit of the doubt can be given, given the circumstances in NY

he may want out of there.

Anybody remember a perennial probowler we had on our team once who seemed to mail it in up to a point where he clearly wanted to get out of town?

#135 Panthers111

Panthers111

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:24 PM

I think Nicks just gave up this year. A combination of Cruz getting the big contract instead of himself and the giants sucking balls this year. I would say he is still a tier #1/2 WR. Sign him for like 4-5mil would be fair for both sides. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hakeem Nicks, Jonathan Wagner, Yahoo Sports, Carolina Panthers, 2014 free agency

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com