Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Realistic ideas for the panthers this offseason?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 MtnProwler

MtnProwler

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:42 PM

What good are receivers if Cam doesn't have time to throw to them? OL and receivers WR/TE are far and away my biggest concern.

They are for many reasons, the main one is to spread the defense which keeps them from stacking the box and blitzing more players. By not stacking the box it also helps the run game. It also helps from doubling Smitty as much if they have to account for another player or two.

To often I saw teams being able to man up with our receivers, taking the ball carrier away, that leaves the Oline trying to not only block their man but two other unblocked defenders. You can upgrade the Oline all day but you will always be against the odds if you can't demand to spread the D.

No doubt we need an upgrade for the Oline, but I'm in agreement that the best help for the line is to actually upgrade the receivers.

#32 Dilla

Dilla

Mad Decent

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,889 posts
  • LocationWashington, North Carolina

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:06 PM

The only truly "realistic" option out of those picks would be Dustin Keller, since he would have to accept an incentive-based, cheap contract to prove he can still play at a high level after that horrible knee injury.

#33 Chaos

Chaos

@chaos_cltsports

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,413 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:21 PM

Chrome helmets and logo at midfield.

Midfield logo of a chrome helmet.

#34 Dex

Dex

Knight of Sunlight

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,826 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:23 PM

mother of god.

#35 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,568 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:53 PM

I like some of the ideas but I doubt most being realistic .

Yeah, perhaps the thread should have been titled "Wishful ideas".  

If we can get one off the list, I will shake my head in satisfaction. If we get two I'll say "wow". If we get three, I'll be fist pumping to my own "hell yeah." If we get four, I'll be dumbfounded and have to sit down in amazement. 

#36 scarface

scarface

• HUDDLER
  • 3,113 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:08 PM

OT Eric Winston 

CB Terrell Thomas

WR Hakeem Nicks - Jeremy Maclin -  Jerricho Cotchery 

TE Fred Davis

#37 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,847 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:18 PM

They are for many reasons, the main one is to spread the defense which keeps them from stacking the box and blitzing more players. By not stacking the box it also helps the run game. It also helps from doubling Smitty as much if they have to account for another player or two.

To often I saw teams being able to man up with our receivers, taking the ball carrier away, that leaves the Oline trying to not only block their man but two other unblocked defenders. You can upgrade the Oline all day but you will always be against the odds if you can't demand to spread the D.

No doubt we need an upgrade for the Oline, but I'm in agreement that the best help for the line is to actually upgrade the receivers.

Ask Atlanta how that worked, their fans are now begging for OL help because they have a bunch of talented skill players and no time to get them the ball.

#38 MtnProwler

MtnProwler

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:24 AM

Ask Atlanta how that worked, their fans are now begging for OL help because they have a bunch of talented skill players and no time to get them the ball.

No where did I say ignore the oline, I will go as far and say build from the inside out, but you can't ignore what Ds are doing to us. No worries DG has already been quoted that weapons are a top priority this year.

#39 El Chingon

El Chingon

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:03 PM

We made a run at Giants G Kevin Boothe last year, we may again this year.

#40 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 14,068 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:09 PM

Not really sure if that's a fair comparison for this situation. Atlanta has also been ignoring their defense for quite some time. As much as they struggled this year, their offense kept them in games most of the time. They almost beat the 49ers in San Fran at the end of the season.

I don't think anyone is advocating giving up what Atlanta did to draft Julio Jones. We just want another play maker, and help on the OL.

#41 Jangler

Jangler

that funky feeling to get you through

• HUDDLER
  • 47,812 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:16 PM

EMrknJP.gif

#42 General_Purr

General_Purr

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • LocationMilky Way

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

TJ Ward and Vontae Davis

everyone else I don't see having a huge impact on the team.

#43 El Chingon

El Chingon

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:49 PM

T Jonathan Martin will eventually be released by the Dolphins. Come on down!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com