Photo
* - - - - 2 votes

Is a lack of receivers really the problem?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#61 Byrdman4real

Byrdman4real

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:05 PM

[quote name="TheRed" post="2627293" timestamp="1390408426"]

I completely agree. If we can get Cam a speedy guy who is 6'4+, watch out.[/quote

Cam prove to me this season that he can truly reach top 5 QB level if we give him just a few more weapons. He doesn't need 3 elite rec. Target's but add 1 W big time WR to what we have and their is no telling what this offense can do.

Like I said we need to get at least 1 wr in FA and 1 in the draft. Resign Ginn and move Smith to the Slot.

You know i've always been against drafting WR. So you know it's a problem if "I" want to bring at least 2 and maybe another TE or WR in.

I feel the same also, but they should draft a TE also just to make it even harder on other defenses. 

#62 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,048 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:28 PM

Or is it the lack of time Cam has in the pocket. A few things of note is that Cam lacked in deep balls this year. This was mainly due to the line. Now, when Cam had time against the Niners, he picked them apart and nailed a perfect pass to smith. Now we definitely need a WR, but maybe the focus should be on overhauling the line and not forking out completely for a WR. Not to mention, our line gets absolutely NO push, and isn't great at opening holes. We could have Megatron out there, but if Cam is constantly under pressure and either doesn't have time to throw, or have errand throws,then even Megatron would have a down year. There's so many offseason threads on here asking the same damn questions, but where's this one? For fug sake, we had a third tier defensive tackle starting at right guard for us!

We shoud just end all of these posts about the same topic.....the answer is BOTH.

We need to address both OL and WR this year.....both need an upgrade.

FA WR, draft WR and OL in the first two rounds.

#63 AndrewLaskoski

AndrewLaskoski

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:17 PM

You don't have to look far for answer, the answer is within our division. Look at the rosters of the Falcons and the Saints. The Saints have a good line that gives time for Brees to make ok receivers look good (ie Stills, Moore, & Meachem), while the Falcons line is so porous that Ryan has absolutely no time to get the ball to his outstanding playmakers (ie Jones, White, & Gonzo). 

For an outstanding offense you need,

- A difference making QB

- A line to protect him

- Multiple reliable WRs

- A stable of RBs

We have the first and last, but need work in the middle portions. 

#64 WOW!!

WOW!!

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:26 PM

You don't have to look far for answer, the answer is within our division. Look at the rosters of the Falcons and the Saints. The Saints have a good line that gives time for Brees to make ok receivers look good (ie Stills, Moore, & Meachem), while the Falcons line is so porous that Ryan has absolutely no time to get the ball to his outstanding playmakers (ie Jones, White, & Gonzo).

For an outstanding offense you need,
- A difference making QB
- A line to protect him
- Multiple reliable WRs
- A stable of RBs

We have the first and last, but need work in the middle portions.

The Saints also have Graham (who is unstoppable) and Sporals to go with their avg. WR corp. So they have 2 hard to defend weapons in the pass game. We don't have any.

#65 WOW!!

WOW!!

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:27 PM

Ryan didn't have his outstanding weapons for most of the season either. Just saying.

#66 AndrewLaskoski

AndrewLaskoski

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:40 PM

The Saints also have Graham (who is unstoppable) and Sporals to go with their avg. WR corp. So they have 2 hard to defend weapons in the pass game. We don't have any.

Even if you go to 2009 when they won the Super Bowl, while Graham was still at the U and Sproles was in SD, Brees was still putting up phenomenal numbers (4,388 yards, 34TD-11INT)

His receivers included 

- Marques Colston

- Devery Henderson

- Pierre Thomas

- Reggie Bush

- Lance Moore

- Jeremy Shockey

- David Thomas

- Robert Meachem

That group of receivers is no better than our current receivers

#67 AggieLean.

AggieLean.

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,182 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN via Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:51 PM

Come on, man.  With Colston and Lance Moore, that group is way better than ours.  Brees had a pretty good receiving group then, and he has a pretty good group now.  Both Colston and Moore have shown they're capable of 1000+ yard seasons.  Nobody on our roster now is capable of doing that.

#68 AndrewLaskoski

AndrewLaskoski

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:02 PM

Come on, man.  With Colston and Lance Moore, that group is way better than ours.  Brees had a pretty good receiving group then, and he has a pretty good group now.  Both Colston and Moore have shown they're capable of 1000+ yard seasons.  Nobody on our roster now is capable of doing that.

You should know that Brees makes the receivers, both Meachem and Henderson left and got no where... In fact Meachem came back to NOLA after signing that monster contract in SD (Because he did nothing) and was productive with Brees at the helm... As for Henderson he washed out of the league, I cant think of any receiver that was made by Brees in NOLA and made it elsewhere.

Moore is often injured and hasnt played a full season since 2010

Colston also seems to be often knicked up and I personally would not take him over Smitty

And none of their TEs back in 2009 are as good as Olsen IMO

#69 footballisasport

footballisasport

• HUDDLER
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:02 PM

I think the WRs on this need to either step up and show they want and can work for that starting job or sit down. Part of me wonder if there is some sort of power struggle going on behind the scenes with Smitty not wanting to give the other WRs a more stronger role and they in turn not push as hard as not to step on his toes. Especially when it's clear to see how well loved Smitty is by fans. 

JSHO. but the WRs on this team don't seem to really step up and push themselves as hard as the other more well known WRs on other teams. Football is about instinct and timing. Many of those dropped balls by the WRs seem more due to instincts not being sharp enough. 

#70 WOW!!

WOW!!

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:57 PM

Even if you go to 2009 when they won the Super Bowl, while Graham was still at the U and Sproles was in SD, Brees was still putting up phenomenal numbers (4,388 yards, 34TD-11INT)

His receivers included
- Marques Colston
- Devery Henderson
- Pierre Thomas
- Reggie Bush
- Lance Moore
- Jeremy Shockey
- David Thomas
- Robert Meachem

That group of receivers is no better than our current receivers

I would trade our group now for that group. Most of those Wr have had better years then all our WR not name Smith.

#71 Panthers111

Panthers111

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:21 AM

Tom brady won 3 super bowls with basically these groups of guys plus some other guys I never heard of. You dont need elite WRs to win.

Wide Receivers

Tight Ends

#72 Panthers111

Panthers111

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:23 AM

One constant that Tom Brady has had during all the superbowls was one of the best Olines in the NFL.

#73 WOW!!

WOW!!

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:45 AM

You do realize they changed the rules since Brady won with that group of WR. With a slight edge giving to teams with a passing game.

#74 Panthers111

Panthers111

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:29 AM

The elite QBs can get by with less talent at WR. Brady Manning Brees and Rodgers are what you call the surgeons of the NFL. They make your number 2 and 3 WRs look great because of great ball location placement. I'm saying if our guys hixon, ginn, lafell played with any of them I believe they all have a good shot at being 1000 yd WRs. 

Then you have your butchers like Romo and Stafford who need a number 1 guy like Calvin or Dez. If you take note they never really developed a great number 2 WR because they lack the accuracy of placing the ball in a good location. They trust that the WR can make the play for them. It is kinda what Jake did with Smith and Moose. 

Outside of getting a stud number 1 WR I feel like we end up back where we started from. 

#75 OnlyPantherFaninMaine

OnlyPantherFaninMaine

All In.

• HUDDLER
  • 5,846 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:30 AM

Lets not act like Cam is Brees or Brady with their touch and accuracy and overall command of an offense. Both of those guys are elite quarterbacks and can make average receivers look great. If you were a GM of a Manning/Brady/Brees lead team, would you worry more about putting elite weapons around them or keeping an immobile quarterback on his feet and clean in the pocket first and foremost? Protection would always be the priority because they can significantly improve the play of an average receiver if they have the time to do so. Conversely, Cam is a different player and will need better targets than those guys to catch his bullets, go up high when he sails them, adjust to errant throws, and come back to the ball or break off routes when the play breaks down and Cam gets out of the pocket. If need be, Cam can escape pass rushers, evade sacks, is much more difficult to bring down, and thus I believe the priority should be to get him weapons first and foremost and then protect him. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.