Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moving to North Carolina Area

25 posts in this topic

Posted

I have good intentions putting this thread up.  I put in the smack area because I have no idea what this is going to start.  I have a bachelors degree in accounting and then joined the Army infantry where I did two deployments to Afghanistan.  I got out of the Army as an E-5.  I just signed a lease to an apartment in Durham.  I am from Minnesota, but lived in Fayetteville for a year while in the Army, so I am somewhat familiar with the area.  

I am basically looking for any advice I can get on the area.  With my background is Charlotte a better fit?  I know that I may be considered a Yankee and I know I personally love the southern accent and most of the southern culture, other than the racist types.  I have a wife and a one year old child.  I am an avid Panthers fan and always have been since I was 6 or 7.  Same with UNC basketball.  I am down to become a Hornets fan and since NC doesnt have a baseball team it means I can still be a Twins fan. Just looking for friendly help.  I do not have a job lined up yet, so maybe I could get some networking done here.  Thanks again.

Posted

charlotte is nothing like fayetteville (thank god)

I think just about everyone can fit in around charlotte.

durham I cannot vouch for.

1 person likes this

Posted

any advice for the Asheville area?

1 person likes this

Posted

what part of minnesota? i lived inbetween mankato and owatanna for a time

1 person likes this

Posted

You should've put this in The Lounge, it would probably get a better response, sweet talk a Mod and they might move it!

There is a discussion going on right now in there about whether Charlotte sucks or not.

1 person likes this

Posted

Everyone's gonna laugh whenever you say bag.

And Fayetteville is a third world country.

Posted

You can't go wrong anywhere in NC, in my opinion. I moved over the border to Tega Cay/Fort Mill, SC. Taxes are cheaper, schools are best in the region, I can shoot off gigantic fireworks, and I'm 15 minutes from BofA stadium. But it's getting too crowded now so don't move here.

And as far as racism goes, I've met more Yankee bigots than southern bigots.

2 people like this

Posted

Hahah, thanks for the input so far. I lived in the St. Cloud area and went to school in the Fargo/Moorhead area. Mods could you please put this in the lounge?

Posted

Do you say "Let's go oot and aboot" and "You betcha"?

Posted

St. Cloud eh?

I spent a few months in Little Falls a couple years ago.

Durham is a remarkable jump from that area.

1 person likes this

Posted

Do you say "Let's go oot and aboot" and "You betcha"?

Yes I do talk like a Canadian/Minnesotan, but I have lived outside of MN for 5 years and hopefully have started to adapt.  Whenever I go home everyone's accent gets more and more noticeable.  It is a great place to live, I just wanted to move somewhere warmer and figured I would try North Carolina.

Posted

St. Cloud eh?

I spent a few months in Little Falls a couple years ago.

Durham is a remarkable jump from that area.

You are right it will be a jump.  I am hoping that I am not as susceptible to culture shock after my military experiences.