24 replies to this topic

#1 Keep Steve

Keep Steve

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:16 PM

I have good intentions putting this thread up.  I put in the smack area because I have no idea what this is going to start.  I have a bachelors degree in accounting and then joined the Army infantry where I did two deployments to Afghanistan.  I got out of the Army as an E-5.  I just signed a lease to an apartment in Durham.  I am from Minnesota, but lived in Fayetteville for a year while in the Army, so I am somewhat familiar with the area.  

I am basically looking for any advice I can get on the area.  With my background is Charlotte a better fit?  I know that I may be considered a Yankee and I know I personally love the southern accent and most of the southern culture, other than the racist types.  I have a wife and a one year old child.  I am an avid Panthers fan and always have been since I was 6 or 7.  Same with UNC basketball.  I am down to become a Hornets fan and since NC doesnt have a baseball team it means I can still be a Twins fan. Just looking for friendly help.  I do not have a job lined up yet, so maybe I could get some networking done here.  Thanks again.

#2 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,484 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:40 PM

charlotte is nothing like fayetteville (thank god)

I think just about everyone can fit in around charlotte.

durham I cannot vouch for.

#3 bigskypanthersguy

bigskypanthersguy

Prowl, Cats, Prowl.

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:59 AM

any advice for the Asheville area?

#4 PhillyB

PhillyB

hari kari for amari

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,724 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:22 AM

what part of minnesota? i lived inbetween mankato and owatanna for a time

#5 Shufdog

Shufdog

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:36 AM

You should've put this in The Lounge, it would probably get a better response, sweet talk a Mod and they might move it!

There is a discussion going on right now in there about whether Charlotte sucks or not. http://www.carolinah...ppy-city/page-2

#6 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • 11,213 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:38 AM

Everyone's gonna laugh whenever you say bag.

And Fayetteville is a third world country.

#7 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 20,713 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:43 AM

You can't go wrong anywhere in NC, in my opinion. I moved over the border to Tega Cay/Fort Mill, SC. Taxes are cheaper, schools are best in the region, I can shoot off gigantic fireworks, and I'm 15 minutes from BofA stadium. But it's getting too crowded now so don't move here.

And as far as racism goes, I've met more Yankee bigots than southern bigots.

#8 Keep Steve

Keep Steve

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:44 AM

Hahah, thanks for the input so far. I lived in the St. Cloud area and went to school in the Fargo/Moorhead area. Mods could you please put this in the lounge?

#9 SCP

SCP

• HUDDLER
  • 20,713 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:52 AM

Do you say "Let's go oot and aboot" and "You betcha"?

#10 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • 11,213 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:54 AM

St. Cloud eh?

I spent a few months in Little Falls a couple years ago.
Durham is a remarkable jump from that area.

#11 Keep Steve

Keep Steve

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:26 AM

Do you say "Let's go oot and aboot" and "You betcha"?

Yes I do talk like a Canadian/Minnesotan, but I have lived outside of MN for 5 years and hopefully have started to adapt.  Whenever I go home everyone's accent gets more and more noticeable.  It is a great place to live, I just wanted to move somewhere warmer and figured I would try North Carolina.

#12 Keep Steve

Keep Steve

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:28 AM

St. Cloud eh?

I spent a few months in Little Falls a couple years ago.
Durham is a remarkable jump from that area.

You are right it will be a jump.  I am hoping that I am not as susceptible to culture shock after my military experiences.

#13 SCP

SCP

• HUDDLER
  • 20,713 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:29 AM

Yes I do talk like a Canadian/Minnesotan, but I have lived outside of MN for 5 years and hopefully have started to adapt. Whenever I go home everyone's accent gets more and more noticeable. It is a great place to live, I just wanted to move somewhere warmer and figured I would try North Carolina.

My wife is from northern Michigan and her families accents trip me out.

You'll like it down here. I wouldn't choose Durham, Fayetteville, or Jacksonville.

#14 Keep Steve

Keep Steve

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:45 AM

Im excited to move down here and hopefully we will fit in.

#15 MichaelNewtonII

MichaelNewtonII

Kelvin Benjamin OROY

• HUDDLER
  • 3,843 posts
  • LocationESPN Studios

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

I have good intentions putting this thread up.  I put in the smack area because I have no idea what this is going to start.  I have a bachelors degree in accounting and then joined the Army infantry where I did two deployments to Afghanistan.  I got out of the Army as an E-5.  I just signed a lease to an apartment in Durham.  I am from Minnesota, but lived in Fayetteville for a year while in the Army, so I am somewhat familiar with the area.  

I am basically looking for any advice I can get on the area.  With my background is Charlotte a better fit?  I know that I may be considered a Yankee and I know I personally love the southern accent and most of the southern culture, other than the racist types.  I have a wife and a one year old child.  I am an avid Panthers fan and always have been since I was 6 or 7.  Same with UNC basketball.  I am down to become a Hornets fan and since NC doesnt have a baseball team it means I can still be a Twins fan. Just looking for friendly help.  I do not have a job lined up yet, so maybe I could get some networking done here.  Thanks again.

I'm from Raleigh its right next to Durham i think you should fit in just fine but then again i don't like durham, raleigh better area and charlotte is great so

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com