Photo
- - - - -

Q & A with G-man, courtesy of Observer's Jones (edited with more commentary re: draft strategy)

Panthers Dave Gettleman Jonathan Jones Contracts 2014 Free Agency 2014 Draft

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
93 replies to this topic

#13 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:29 PM

smokescreen.

#14 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

HUDDLER

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:32 PM

I think that you guys may be going overboard. G-man didn't say that he wasn't looking to draft Smitty's replacement, just that some of the answers for our WR corps in the future may be on the sidelines. He referenced Cruz, basically insinuating that no one knew that VC would become the playmaker that he is, but that they knew that he was talented and that they had to get him on the field.

but the huge difference with that and this is Cruz killed the preseason. i remember him torching the Jets for 3 TDs in just that one preseason game, and some of us on here saying lets go ****** him up off their practice squad. McNutt nor King has had a game like Cruz in the preseason.

#15 ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

Insane Racist Moron

HUDDLER

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:38 PM

What Gettleman said: Life after Steve Smith may include some of the guys already on the sidelines if they show they can perform well in games.

What The Huddle read: No new receivers. Ever. Eat poo and die.

#16 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

HUDDLER

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:45 PM

but the huge difference with that and this is Cruz killed the preseason. i remember him torching the Jets for 3 TDs in just that one preseason game, and some of us on here saying lets go ****** him up off their practice squad. McNutt nor King has had a game like Cruz in the preseason.

Trust G-man. You know the Panthers are already interested in Jordan Matthews, and Walter Football confirmed that the Panthers and Jared Abbrederis had a meeting at the Senior Bowl. G-man isn't a fool, just methodical.

#17 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

HUDDLER

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:49 PM

Trust G-man. You know the Panthers are already interested in Jordan Matthews, and Walter Football confirmed that the Panthers and Jared Abbrederis had a meeting at the Senior Bowl. G-man isn't a fool, just methodical.

he is no fool, but this team has ignored the position with decent talent for a long time. i just have my reservations. the panthers have worked out numerous WRs over the last 2 years but have yet to get one. we are due one early this year.

#18 ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

Insane Racist Moron

HUDDLER

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:51 PM

he is no fool, but this team has ignored the position with decent talent for a long time. i just have my reservations. the panthers have worked out numerous WRs over the last 2 years but have yet to get one. we are due one early this year.

We also ignored going for obvious talent at DT until last year.

#19 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

Blazing Trails Thru the NFC South

HUDDLER

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:52 PM

I do trust Gman will make a well informed decision taking in all the variables and the big picture.

No tunnel vision focusing on one player and doing whatever is needed in say offering a prime future draft pick to gain access to a player you looked at pre-draft.

#20 Khaki Lackey

Khaki Lackey

I keeps it real

SUPPORTER

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:07 PM

Don't really see why coaching in the last year of your deal is a problem.
Players play in the last year of there's all the time and often work even harder.
Work hard, kick ass, improve on this year and your pot of gold will be waiting.
Don't and.......

Yeah, the whole "lame duck" thing is way overblown. As long as he has say in personal decisions and maintains normal control of the team as a coach, he's not a "lame duck" regardless whether or not he's on the last year of his contract.

#21 MHS831

MHS831

HUDDLER

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:37 PM

One Marvelous Marvin and Tavarres King, coming up.

That is what I got out of it.  I read somewhere else that a pass in the end zone to McNutt that he caught out of bounds was the only pass all season that Cam actually lobbed so the WR could elevate and make the play.  King and McNutt stayed on the roster for a reason. 

No mention of Lafell.  See ya.

I think we draft a WR and go with what we have.  Smitty (could be done at any time), Ginn, McNutt, King + a rookie.

#22 Woodie

Woodie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:30 AM

G-man is quickly becoming the king of giving long answers without actually saying anything.

Actually he says a lot, you just have to read between the lines.  For instance, Rivera will be signed to an extension this offseason, Cam will also be signed to and extension if he wants to be here, they really like some of the receivers already on our roster, and it is questionable whether or not Hardy will be on the team next year.

#23 Woodie

Woodie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:39 AM

Don't really see why coaching in the last year of your deal is a problem.

Players play in the last year of there's all the time and often work even harder.

Work hard, kick ass, improve on this year and your pot of gold will be waiting.

Don't and.......

It is a big issue.  FA's don't want to go to a team with a lame duck coach because they don't know who will be in charge the next year, or what system they will run.  Also, players on the team see it as the front office not having enough confidence in the coach to give him a long-term deal, so don't always buy in to what the coach is selling.  At the first sign of trouble, teams with lame duck coached may throw in the towel on the season.

These are just a few reasons I have heard players and executives give for why it is a huge problem to go into the season with your coach being on the last year of his contract.  And I imagine it would be especially hard for this team, coming of a division winning, playoff season.

#24 Woodie

Woodie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:43 AM

That is what I got out of it.  I read somewhere else that a pass in the end zone to McNutt that he caught out of bounds was the only pass all season that Cam actually lobbed so the WR could elevate and make the play.  King and McNutt stayed on the roster for a reason. 

No mention of Lafell.  See ya.

I think we draft a WR and go with what we have.  Smitty (could be done at any time), Ginn, McNutt, King + a rookie.

Yep.  For the team to give them two very valuable roster spots when they could have just stashed them on the PS tells me they really like both players and see a future here for both of them.  Of course, that doesn't mean they expect either to be Smitty's replacement, but I think they do have plans for them.