• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CatfanMO

Something Cam needs to work on this offseason

Explain to me what were the right reads and who was the open man in those times where you noticed he "held the ball too long".

My nfl rewind expired. You will have to wait until next season. Ill be happy to break down a game for you. 

Guest Dark Knight

We have been harping on footwork the past 3 years.

I just want to see him get the ball out quicker ala Manning

He holds on to the ball way to long.

Why do you want Cam to be like Manning? Do you want him to regress or something? Cam is better than the media darling child.

3 year totals:

Peyton Manning:: 26-22 W/L

Cameron Newton: 25-23 W/L

Peyton Manning:: 12,287 Yd

Cameron Newton: 13,364 Yd

Peyton Manning:: 88 TD

Cameron Newton: 92 TD

Peyton Manning:: 58 Int (6 Fmb lost)

Cameron Newton: 42 Int (6 Fmb lost)

Future reference, Manning's 4th yr:

6-10 W/L

62%, 4131 Yd, 26 TD, 23 Int, 84.1 Rtg

4.5 ypc, 157 Yd, 4 TD, 7 Fmb (3 lost)

Why do you want Cam to be like Manning? Do you want him to regress or something? Cam is better than the media darling child.

3 year totals:

Peyton Manning:: 26-22 W/L

Cameron Newton: 25-23 W/L

Peyton Manning:: 12,287 Yd

Cameron Newton: 13,364 Yd

Peyton Manning:: 88 TD

Cameron Newton: 92 TD

Peyton Manning:: 58 Int (6 Fmb lost)

Cameron Newton: 42 Int (6 Fmb lost)

Future reference, Manning's 4th yr:

6-10 W/L

62%, 4131 Yd, 26 TD, 23 Int, 84.1 Rtg

4.5 ypc, 157 Yd, 4 TD, 7 Fmb (3 lost)

When I said Manning I meant the Manning of now, You a smart one. 

Guest Dark Knight

So you expect a 24-year old with 4 years of QB experience to play like a 37-year old who just had the greatest year ever and has almost 20 years of experience?

That sounds logical.

As we look to the future, just one more thing to consider...the throw Cam made to Ginn in the 2nd NO game to start the winning drive was one Manning could not make. Frankly, I'm not sure there is another QB in the league with the strength to make that laser throw while being slapped in the face other than Cam.

Manning is great, but I fully expect Cam to be just as successful when all is said and done. Actually, given Manning's post season stats, we should perhaps expect Cam to surpass him.

So you expect a 24-year old with 4 years of QB experience to play like a 37-year old who just had the greatest year ever and has almost 20 years of experience?

That sounds logical.

I want to see improvement. His improvement on footwork and holding the ball too long is marginal at best.

Just because he is in x year doesnt mean he can't play better or improve. Not that hard to have an internal clock. Ok 3 seconds no one is open I need to take off and get some positive yards. Or stop throwing off your back foot. Not saying he is gonna make all the right reads or throws but so long as the effort and idea is there im fine with it. 

To his credit though I think the OC / play calling / philosophy is not doing him any favors.

I want to see improvement. His improvement on footwork and holding the ball too long is marginal at best.

Just because he is in x year doesnt mean he can't play better or improve. Not that hard to have an internal clock. Ok 3 seconds no one is open I need to take off and get some positive yards. Or stop throwing off your back foot. Not saying he is gonna make all the right reads or throws but so long as the effort and idea is there im fine with it. 

To his credit though I think the OC / play calling / philosophy is not doing him any favors.

I would like one of you geniuses to explain the reason why you think he is holding onto the ball to long?  Do you think that he sees open receivers but neglects to throw the ball? 

People continue to make comments of a result, but fail to connect the causal links as to why the result happens.  3 seconds and bolt?  That's an offense killing strategy.  Mike Vick version 2.  That's one read and run. 

So many coaches on this board.  I'm curious as to what many of you do for work, please tell so I can tell you how to do your job better... more points if I haven't a clue as to what I'm talking about. 

I would like one of you geniuses to explain the reason why you think he is holding onto the ball to long?  Do you think that he sees open receivers but neglects to throw the ball? 

People continue to make comments of a result, but fail to connect the causal links as to why the result happens.  3 seconds and bolt?  That's an offense killing strategy.  Mike Vick version 2.  That's one read and run. 

So many coaches on this board.  I'm curious as to what many of you do for work, please tell so I can tell you how to do your job better... more points if I haven't a clue as to what I'm talking about. 

Why is he holding on to the ball too long? Numerous reasons. 

1) Ability to read defenses and find his hot wr (still young and has to get better, hopefully will improve with time) 

2) Indecisive 

3) Nervous / Conservative to not throw a pick 

4) Throwing with anticipation ie throwing to an area before the WR is open ie leading as well

5) Play calling issues ie wrong routes ie not enough short options 

You can make more than one read in 3 seconds. Pretty sure its been proven on average qb's have 3-4 seconds before the pocket starts to collapse. Qbs must have an internal clock. If no one is open or he failed to find an open WR in 3-4 seconds he needs to check his protection and decide to take off or see if his protection is holding up. ie 1 or 2 more seconds. 

Why is he holding on to the ball too long? Numerous reasons. 

1) Ability to read defenses and find his hot wr (still young and has to get better, hopefully will improve with time) 

2) Indecisive 

3) Nervous / Conservative to not throw a pick 

4) Throwing with anticipation ie throwing to an area before the WR is open ie leading as well

5) Play calling issues ie wrong routes ie not enough short options 

You can make more than one read in 3 seconds. Pretty sure its been proven on average qb's have 3-4 seconds before the pocket starts to collapse. Qbs must have an internal clock. If no one is open or he failed to find an open WR in 3-4 seconds he needs to check his protection and decide to take off or see if his protection is holding up. ie 1 or 2 more seconds. 

I could've written your  response.  It's typical, and harps on why some will never stop the silly critiques.  I see so many people who never played nor know nothing about the intricacies of the position, or the game continue to offer the same critiques without putting any any effort to understand simple cause and effect properties that would help some answer their own questions.

Reading defense.  In comparison to whom?  And what has Cam done specifically to show you in your superior knowledge that he is incapable of reading a defense.  And for this to be such a weakness, it is presumptive that he is beneath the above average quarterbacks at doing so. 

The old "throw the receiver open myth"  Well, if all of these receivers are being thrown open, then why would it matter who you put out there to catch the ball?  It would serve you to go watch some of the best receivers in the game, and then you'll be able to determine who should get the credit for the play.  It's called YAC, and no Panther receiver cracked the top 40. 

Hot WR?  Do you know what a hot receiver is.  If your receiver can't get open for a hot route then there is not hot receiver.  Smitty in his prime was the best hot receiver in the game.  He is no longer in his prime.  Hot receivers aren't just some wide open mythical player available at all times. 

Nervous or conserative?  Lol... it's Cam, nervous.   And the first two seasons people whined and complained about him turning the ball over.

Indecisive?  Maybe, but why?  Indecisiveness doesn't come from wide open receivers.  And we can't have a million threads on our of lack capable receivers and then claim that a QB automatically makes a receiver good.  No. 

Playcalling.  I'll give you that.  But, where does that fit in the critique of Cam that this thread is about.  It doesn't. 

I think you have successfully blamed Cam for things when you overlooked the causes of the problems. And you successfully baited me into giving this too much time.  Good job.

I was gonna say, learn to throw up the ball and let his receivers go get it. He did it his first two years.

Now it seems he's scared to do so.

But I can't argue with improvibg his pocket awareness.

I was gonna say, learn to throw up the ball and let his receivers go get it. He did it his first two years.

Now it seems he's scared to do so.

Is this a joke?

Is this a joke?        

Yes - this whole thread is a joke- bunch of no nothing wanna bees diagnosing and fault finding a professional quarterback in the NFL.

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Cobra

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts