Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

10 Things Richard Sherman learned after America learned about him

46 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I hate how America has become. Someone speaks their opinion and when it isn't well received an apology is forced to be issued by their handlers. Richard Sherman was right to do what he did. These guys hit each other for three hours and then they're all expected to answer questions like Manning does and be bff's. Well not everyone is built like that. Can you imagine if Tupac released Hit Em Up if he was alive today?!? iTunes would take it down and he'd have to issue an apology out on twitter within a day to say sorry for hurting everyone's feelings at bad boy. What a joke. We all know how shitty of an organization SF is. I would have given Kap the choke sign, went off on Crabtree, went off on Harbaugh and the piece of poo that clocked someone on the sidelines during that punt. fug em all I say, this county has been watered down by pussies.

I just can't agree with this and I'll tell you why.

Last year my son was playing soccer and they played a team that was just ridiculously dominant.  The game was a blowout and they never let up, I think the score was like 8-0.  I have never been more proud of him for the way he battled and fought to the very end.  He got shoved, pushed, and knocked down a few times.  One particular moment got me in the referee's face because he outran a kid to the ball and was about to score when he got yanked from behind by the jersey.  He got up, wiped the dirt off, and kept fighting.

That's what sports is fellas.  Thats how real mean behave.

When he got into the car he asked why those kids were doing that, why they were shoving him, and pushing him, and being dirty.  I stopped the car and turned around so he could see how serious I was.  I looked him dead in the eye and said, "Because you were better than them."

He smiled for a minute and then said "we still lost."  I shrugged my shoulders and said all that matters is how hard he played and how he never gave up.  Those guys were mad because you wouldn't give up.  And then I explained how proud I was of him.

He is 8 years old.  He never got angry, never got mad, never said anything negative towards the other players on the field and if he had I would have probably grabbed him by the jersey and jerked him off the field myself.

If I expect that from an 8 year then why is it that we shouldn't expect that from a 25 year old?  I realize these are apples and oranges but if you can't keep your composure at a PROFESSIONAL level then you're no better than a bunch of 8 year olds trying to run up the score.  You can talk about being a pussy or football today not allowing guys to be "themselves" but I honestly hope my son grows up and learns what playing sports is all about.  Not being the center of attention, not talking about being the best player in the league, not being loud and abrasive.  And don't get me wrong, if he wants to talk crap during the game or behind closed doors I'm all for that but when you do that in public, on tv, on the national stage, then you have to understand what kind of person you look like.  And my biggest problem with what Sherman did is that I thought he was smart enough to know that, understand it, and realize that he looked like a 8 year old (just not my 8 year old).  And I do think Sherman is smart and his emotions got the best of him, but I also am disappointed at how he has handled it since.  Yes people on twitter are ridiculous and some are down right psychotic but he did something that is viewed as bad sportsmanship and disrespectful and classless, rightfully so.  Own up to it and take it like a man.

And besides, I'm sure a ton of people on here thought that when Brady stormed off the field during the Monday Night win, it was a classless move.  What's different now?  By your logic the emotions of the game should have excused Brady right?  And yet people were pissed around here and called him out.  But hey, people are hypocrites and talk out of their asses sometimes, I get it and its ok, just try not to do it when the entire nation is watching.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

We have our own cheap 6th rounder soon to be too expensive.

Captain is not even close to Sherman in level of play though. And Captain will definitely be cheaper than Sherman will be.

Edit: Oops you must've meant Hardy. True, but Hardy was never as elite of a pass rusher (even this season) as Sherman is at CB. 

Posted · Report post

Captain is not even close to Sherman in level of play though. And Captain will definitely be cheaper than Sherman will be.

I was referring to Greg Hardy.

Posted · Report post

I was referring to Greg Hardy.

Yeah I saw now lol. Still don't think Hardy was ever as good as Sherman is. AND it's our secondary that's weak, not our front 7.

Posted · Report post

Captain was a 7th rounder.

Posted · Report post

Captain was a 7th rounder.

Yeah thats what made me realize he was talking about Hardy, I was thinking Captain, since Sherman's a corner.

Posted · Report post

Yeah thats what made me realize he was talking about Hardy, I was thinking Captain, since Sherman's a corner.

Mentioned elsewhere that Josh Thomas was drafted eleven spots ahead of Sherman (not by us, though).

Posted · Report post

I just can't agree with this and I'll tell you why.......

You were right about one and only one thing in that post, apples to oranges. You cant compare the emotions of an 8 year old vs a 20 something year old after a game and then on top of that, you cant compare the emotions of an 8 year olds soccer match(which im shocked to learn there was a score kept) vs someone who not only just beat a team he doesnt like, but did it to go to the Super Bowl.

Richard Sherman is a fiery dude as it is playing one of the most physical spots on the field. Period. Stick a mic in his face MOMENTS after one of the biggest games in his life after the opposing team had been jawing at him ALL DAMN GAME and you will get a heated response. This can happen to even the most level headed athletes. Its why i made the comment I did about those who haven't played organized sports. If you have, you would understand where he is coming from. Spend an hour plus, battling against a team you dislike, who is showing you ZERO respect and you happen to be the one that makes the game ending play? Yea, 9 out of 10 athletes act JUST like Sherman did. 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

What I learned about America...

Americans over react to some things.

Oh no wait, I already knew that. 

n/m

Posted · Report post

Jesus, where did all of these soft ass beta-males spawn from?

Its a disease

Posted · Report post

...but I hope he isn't basing what he "learned about America" on twitter feedback he got... that's like learning about the ocean by looking in a toilet. 

This is the quote of the year!

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I clicked on the link and read about Sherman. I then clicked around and read some of the other articles he has written and even some about him. He is impressive. He better be ready for the big game; the sharks are coming for him and I don't mean the Broncos.

Posted · Report post

I'm not backing Sherman, he is a player who I'd want on my team, but he is ridiculous.

I mean, as an athlete, I would be upset when he taunted Crabtree by smacking him on the helmet and trying to shake his hand. It's just obnoxious, I don't care if he was trying to "be a good sport" because he came off as being a complete d¡ck....like "haha we won now shake my hand you loser."

He's kind of like Steve though, a guy most people don't understand and don't quite respect right away, yet is the type of player you want on your team.

Posted · Report post

So I guess sports and sportsmanship are no long synonymous. That old line where sports breeds character is passe'?

I guess kids nowadays have their own set of values and morals. Maybe that is why the world of sports is such a mess. Too damm many kids thinking they are more important than they really are. Where having a touch of class in the face of adversity is something you only read about in the history books.

I thought that was what the locker-room was for? A place to vent, to bitch, and to let it go. The game is bigger than you. Or at least it used to be. But then again...I grew up before selfies.

Posted · Report post

So I guess sports and sportsmanship are no long synonymous. That old line where sports breeds character is passe'?

I guess kids nowadays have their own set of values and morals. Maybe that is why the world of sports is such a mess. Too damm many kids thinking they are more important than they really are. Where having a touch of class in the face of adversity is something you only read about in the history books.

I thought that was what the locker-room was for? A place to vent, to bitch, and to let it go. The game is bigger than you. Or at least it used to be. But then again...I grew up before selfies.

Depends on how they're coached.

With the 5th to 7th grades kids i coach in flag, we emphasize sportsmanship.  In a lot of places though, that's no longer true.

When you have POS guys like Greg Schiano coaching, bad character is no shock.

Posted · Report post

Depends on how they're coached.

With the 5th to 7th grades kids i coach in flag, we emphasize sportsmanship.  In a lot of places though, that's no longer true.

When you have POS guys like Greg Schiano coaching, bad character is no shock.

Back in the day I coached 10-11 year olds. We taught fundamentals and having fun. We only lost 2 games is 4 years. And the kids had a great time. We did lose to the same team both times, and they were coached by a a-hole and his friends who thought winning was more important than having fun. Those kids were miserable. Even when they won they didn't enjoy it. Always felt bad for those kids.

My nephew is one hellofa tennis player. He had to transfer High Schools because his coach was never happy.

Hey, I realize winning is important. But there is a right way, and a wrong way. I guess too many folks tie wins into their self worth. If they aren't winning, at any cost, they aren't important.

Posted · Report post

Anyone complaining over Sherman's actions have never played organized sports. Period.

Yeah the NFL and national media expects these guys to perform at the highest level while remaining like zombies with no emotions.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Posted · Report post

You were right about one and only one thing in that post, apples to oranges. You cant compare the emotions of an 8 year old vs a 20 something year old after a game and then on top of that, you cant compare the emotions of an 8 year olds soccer match(which im shocked to learn there was a score kept) vs someone who not only just beat a team he doesnt like, but did it to go to the Super Bowl.

Richard Sherman is a fiery dude as it is playing one of the most physical spots on the field. Period. Stick a mic in his face MOMENTS after one of the biggest games in his life after the opposing team had been jawing at him ALL DAMN GAME and you will get a heated response. This can happen to even the most level headed athletes. Its why i made the comment I did about those who haven't played organized sports. If you have, you would understand where he is coming from. Spend an hour plus, battling against a team you dislike, who is showing you ZERO respect and you happen to be the one that makes the game ending play? Yea, 9 out of 10 athletes act JUST like Sherman did.

You are correct that you can't compare them. But what is sad is that you expect more professionalism from the 8 yo than the 25 yo.

Posted · Report post

Probably because his passion isn't soccer at that age, now let him play call of duty and see what happens :)

Posted · Report post

This board is awesome. I love your city, team and passion. I will always love my hawks but I hope our teams have dynasty's this decade. I know not everybody on here loves the Hawks but it is nice to see knowledgable fans and this board sets the standards. Get a few receivers and we'll see you next year in the NFC Championship game.

Much Love from Seattle and the 12th man and of course Keep Pounding!!!

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

When did the 49ers show him zero respect?

And the reason this is a big story is because this DOESNT happen that often.  Most players have more composure than that, especially highly intelligent guys like Sherman.  I would use the age old adage "act like you've been there before" but Sherman hasn't so I guess that excuses his out burst.

I'm not saying he was wrong, of course its ok to be excited and yell and scream.  But when someone puts a mic in your face you have to keep it together so you don't look like a fool, which he did.  I just wish he'd own up to it, which he kinda did, except that he got upset when people called him a thug, which I in no way think he is, but he has to understand that people are dumb and will perceive you in the whatever way they see fit.