81 replies to this topic

#46 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,570 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:18 AM

lol No we don't. We give him a fair deal. If he rejects it, he's not coming back. Simple as that.

#47 Gabeking

Gabeking

• HUDDLER
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:20 AM

Meh, tough call. The better teams in the league know when to hold them and know when to fold them. Hurney gambled like a drunk teenager in Vegas with his dad's credit card. Gettleman has to take a more tactful approach and longterm focus which I think he is doing. He won't sign Hardy if it doesn't make sense for his team building plan.

Her* dad's

#48 AggieLean.

AggieLean.

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,221 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN via Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:22 AM

Would like Hardy back, but if were not able to then so be it. We'll be okay, and our def might take a little step back but we'll be fine. With Rivera as our coach, I know our def will be ok. I've already accepted that he's probably gone.

#49 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 9,062 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:26 AM

we will have to sacrifice some of our defense if we want our offense to be better.  i know some will have trouble comprehending that, but it's a truth

#50 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• HUDDLER
  • 8,154 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:34 AM

we will have to sacrifice some of our defense if we want our offense to be better.  i know some will have trouble comprehending that, but it's a truth

balance on both sides. but at the same time i think we can upgrade our secondary by letting hardy walk.

#51 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 9,062 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:36 AM

balance on both sides. but at the same time i think we can upgrade our secondary by letting hardy walk.

yes, keyword some of our defense, not all and we could sign about 4 quality starters for the price hardy will demand.

#52 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,505 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:42 AM

We should sign him long term.  Lets be real here, he is top 10 as far as a DE so we would only be paying him according to his value.  Do we really want him to go to Atlanta who is desperate for a pass rusher and has the cap space to sign him?  By the time his contract will get costly we will be out of cap hell and the cap will go up with the new TV deal.  There is really no reason not to sign him.

#53 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• HUDDLER
  • 6,050 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:48 AM

851037-carl_2_athf.jpg

#54 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• HUDDLER
  • 15,257 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:49 AM

whether we can sign him is one thing, but this is the type of player we need to sign...

#55 jptaylor84

jptaylor84

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:55 AM

We should still have a top ten defense easily even without him and that's without how we draft or go free agency regarding the secondary! It's the offense that needs to be built up not the defence, I don't think it will be as bigger loss as many think it will, yes big shoes to replace for Horton,Alexander or Addison but we have depth there without picking another up. Were just lucky we have two studs at DE if hardy goes we can plug the gap! One players loss shouldn't radically drop our defensive ranking that significantly! He goes he goes but id rather atleast something for him

#56 Woodie

Woodie

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:57 AM

When he signs that tag money becomes guaranteed...by us. And nobody is going to give up picks and pay him that much. That would be stupid.

First of all, the salary is guaranteed, and salary is transferable...there is no bonus in the tag.

Regardless, that's not really the point.  In most cases, a player under the tag does not immediately sign it because they are looking for a long term deal.  And as long as we put the non-exclusive tag on him, he can negotiate a deal with another team.  Then they can work out a deal with us to lower the compensation.   

#57 Mother Grabber

Mother Grabber

Gettlemagic 2.0

• HUDDLER
  • 12,694 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:01 PM

he can easily get up to 10 sacks/year if he keeps getting 5 sacks/game against 1 or 2 craptastic teams.  I'd like to see some better push against good teams before we label him as a must have.

#58 PantherFanOne

PantherFanOne

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationRock Hill S.C.

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:02 PM

I realize that sign and trade rarely happens but it is nice to have that option if Gettleman decides the risk reward is to great to sign Greg Hardy to a cap killing contract. We will soon have to resign  Cam Newton and add more pieces that we will need to reach the next level.I really like Greg Hardy but even as good as he is, Greg is not the  the QB and only one player, not the complete answer to the teams success.

#59 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,505 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:05 PM

We should still have a top ten defense easily even without him and that's without how we draft or go free agency regarding the secondary! It's the offense that needs to be built up not the defence, I don't think it will be as bigger loss as many think it will, yes big shoes to replace for Horton,Alexander or Addison but we have depth there without picking another up. Were just lucky we have two studs at DE if hardy goes we can plug the gap! One players loss shouldn't radically drop our defensive ranking that significantly! He goes he goes but id rather atleast something for him

That is no guaranteed we willl be top 10.  Look how we finished the year.  And replacing Hardy won't be easy at all.  Hardy is better than Johnson right now and part of what made us so good was being able to generate pressure with our front four.  Now imagine  we don't  have Hardy and Johnson gets dinged up like he did this year. Then you have Addison and Alexander who are great rotational players but in no way will be able to come in without a big drop-off. Neither of then are that great on an every down basis. Their worth is coming in rotationally and giving their effort for 10-15 plays,

The other thing that you forget is that Hardy has the ability to play DE and  DT which makes him more valuable than any other defensive linemen right now. 

#60 jptaylor84

jptaylor84

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

That is no guaranteed we willl be top 10. Look how we finished the year. And replacing Hardy won't be easy at all. Hardy is better than Johnson right now and part of what made us so good was being able to generate pressure with our front four. Now imagine we don't have Hardy and Johnson gets dinged up like he did this year. Then you have Addison and Alexander who are great rotational players but in no way will be able to come in without a big drop-off. Neither of then are that great on an every down basis. Their worth is coming in rotationally and giving their effort for 10-15 plays,

The other thing that you forget is that Hardy has the ability to play DE and DT which makes him more valuable than any other defensive linemen right now.

The guy isn't our qb and isn't the qb of the defence, luke is, for me hardy is a good player but not great! Stats can be deceiving he made most of his sacks mostly against poor olines, he wasn't as effective against better tackles whereas cj is more consistant, hardy doubled up his tally in the last two games which drastically changed his sack numbers.
I don't think his loss will be as huge as we think, the team has basically no offense at all! We have a cam and kalil the rest needs ripping up and starting again the next two to three years! The defense has luke cj td star kk mitchell plus whatever stud dbs we get this year in the draft! You gotta think long term! Do you want to be relevant in five years time? Hurney never built ahead gettleman is thinking that way! Next two years I believe we will draft and sign mainly offensive players be it linemen and weapons for cam! Apart from the secondary and if hardy goes the defense is set! So I'm not worried! Take away from one position to add to two or three! The math gives you the clear answer

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Greg Hardy, Knox Bardeen, Bleacher Report, Dave Gettleman, Carolina Panthers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.