Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NASCAR announces overhaul to Chase format

49 posts in this topic

Posted

I think these changes are idiotic.  First, the sixteen drivers just waters things down even more.  As a McMurray fan it is nice that he has a better chance to finally make it but with this many drivers getting in I am not sure it means as much.

The knock-out crap is just dumb.  They already have one to begin with, if you suck then you are eliminated, if not you remain in contention.  Knocking drivers out every three races means the best drivers may not even make it.  Can you imagine if a couple years back if Edwards or Stewert got taken out in the big one at Talladega because some idiot like Montoya did something stupid?  Now one of the top two drivers is eliminated with four races to go.

As for the winner takes all, we all know how dumb it is.  If they plan on keeping it at the same track every year then not only is it dumb, it provides an amazing competitive advantage to some.

Posted

The desperation from NASCAR is hilarious. They know their product is terrible right now so might as well fug with it some more just to see what happens.

With that said, I think it *could* be an interesting addition. Something new always stirs interest. But it will get old and dry in a few years once they find out Junior can't win with the current formula and they'll have to try something else. They've gotten themselves in such a vicious cycle with this chase and crappy car that they will try anything to stay relevant.

Posted

I don't like it at all.

Say, in the first round, someone gets in a wreck, loses points and does not move on.  He holds a grudge and when the next round starts, he just knocks the next guy out of contention, all with one touch of the bumper.  You cannot have a bad finish if there are only 4 races per round.  Nascar is just stupid now

Posted

He holds a grudge and when the next round starts, he just knocks the next guy out of contention, all with one touch of the bumper.

Ratings!

Posted

Poor product. Still want watch.

Posted

it's spinning into irrelevancy... blame cookie cutter tracks that take away a lot of the drama and the need to be able to really drive and the lack of personality in the sport. big money controls the tracks, so that's not going to change, so they add drama where they can to compensate (the new system being a prime example) and try to marginalize the boring drivers (i don't think it's much of a coincidence that i stopped watching nascar around the time jimmie johnson started becoming a dominant driver.)

that said i might actually watch a race or two next fall and see how this works out. it might be what the sport needs

Posted

They are dumbing it down enough for the casual fan...so lets see if they can fill the stands with them. :beerhat:

Posted

Sooooooo with these last changes I am 100% percent done with nascar.... I've held on, went to races followed during all the changes... but this one I can not take. I will not watch a single race next year. I'm good.

How is it that 1 race track Homestead now becomes the most important? It's not like other sports where you play on the same field/court/ect... Some drivers may not be strong at tat track so they are always at a disadvantage... does that mean they are not the best overall driver? Now with all the extra driver and knockout rounds it will take almost as much luck as skill to win to title.  whatever let them do what they do... no need to complain, I'll just shut up and no longer tune in. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Pro wrestling on wheels.

Can we just get it over with and rename the All-Star Race "WrestleMania"?

Posted

Well if it sucks nascar will change the rules again.

I have a feeling it will turn out better than many think.

Posted

I don't mind the idea of the chase, but this seems ridiculous.