#1 OnlyPantherFaninMaine

OnlyPantherFaninMaine

All In.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,390 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:21 AM

My time living in Southern California is over. I am back in Maine for now and applying mostly to jobs in the Northeast and plan on starting a career here.

Unfortunately, it does not make much sense to own and drive an Infiniti G37 coupe up here for half of the year. If 6 inches or more of snow fall I'm basically screwed and I get pretty nervous driving in heavy sleet with my current car and could really use something larger with AWD. Also, I have really taken a liking to sitting up higher while driving as opposed to the Infiniti that feels just inches off the ground. 

I've had my heart set for a while now on a crossover or small-mid size SUV. I plan on trading in the G37 and getting a vehicle that makes more sense to drive in this region all year round. Recently I have been looking into used Mercedes GLKs and the M class, BMW X3/5, Infiniti FX, Audi Q5, or Acura MDX. I really loved the 330hp of the G37 and would like something that still performs well and is fun to drive. I believe any of the SUVs I listed would fit that criteria. In any case, I'd need the car to be used, preferably 09' or newer and I am willing to purchase it with 40,000 miles or under. 

Another reason for an SUV aside from its ability to handle rough winters and provide AWD is that is likely the vehicle that I'd have while starting a family and extra room is always nice for that. 

Thoughts? Recommendations? 

#2 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 9,501 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:26 AM

I looked at small to mid sized SUVs for a bit and just couldn't find sh*t so am sticking with my double cab 4x4 Taco for now.  Even looked at some TSXs, TLs, and Infiniti Gs for a bit on the sedan end but there were small things that really peeved me about their designs.  Didn't like how the Infiinitis drove at all and overall just couldn't go for the lower ride.  

If you're looking at those used, just go for a Grand Cherokee imo.  

I'm waiting on the upcoming redesigned Taco although the new Canyons look pretty sweet.  

#3 Dex

Dex

Knight of Sunlight

• HUDDLER
  • 6,685 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:13 AM

I thought Infinitis were AWD.

#4 TheAmericanDream

TheAmericanDream

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • LocationTriad

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:29 AM

Honda CRV or a Honda Pilot IMO!

#5 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,285 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:35 AM

Do not get a BMW or Mercedes unless you want to spend a lot of money keeping them running. I would go with the Infiniti o Acura.  Infiniti has a nice crossover that is AWD and has a sporty feel....EX35. 

#6 KJ89

KJ89

bottom line

• HUDDLER
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:03 AM

fug it, keep your G36 and get a 1990's Jeep Cherokee Sport. thing is element-proof.

had to sell mine a few months ago, it was heartbreaking. I put 398,000 miles on that thing.

#7 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,657 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:22 AM

Wife owns an Infiniti G- I hate it- I'm 6'6" and I simply do not fit and spend minutes trying to adjust the seat just to get to the best of an uncomfortable position. Let alone driving it... ughhh...

The Infiniti GX is crap. Friend of mine has one and it's already cost thousands in repairs not normally associated with a Nissan/Infiniti (wheel bearings, exhaust system, electronics...)

That being said... if you have the opportunity to test an Acura MDX I'd lean in that direction. It really is a luxury Honda and will run forever.

#8 KJ89

KJ89

bottom line

• HUDDLER
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:19 PM

Honda be damned, nothing runs longer than the 96 Cherokee. Nothing.

#9 OnlyPantherFaninMaine

OnlyPantherFaninMaine

All In.

• HUDDLER
  • 6,390 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:43 PM

I need the horsepower. Now that I have been driving a quick car that performs well I want more of the same in SUV form.

Appreciate the recommendations and advice everyone!

#10 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,655 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:59 PM

Acura.

#11 KJ89

KJ89

bottom line

• HUDDLER
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:45 PM

get an old range rover.

#12 Jangler

Jangler

a head full of candy corn

• HUDDLER
  • 47,560 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:45 PM

Don't go back to Maine?

#13 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,410 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:11 PM

Yeah listen to whatever that guy said about getting an old jeep and keep that pussywagon you're driving for the summer time

#14 CarolinaAllDay

CarolinaAllDay

NY Panther's Fan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:01 AM

Buy a winter beater. I spent 1200 on an old explorer last year. Drove it from november to march, sold it for 500 bucks and never looked back. Better than spending the money to drive an suv year round. Especially with these north east gas prices

#15 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,552 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:37 AM

I've had my heart set for a while now on a crossover or small-mid size SUV. I plan on trading in the G37 and getting a vehicle that makes more sense to drive in this region all year round. Recently I have been looking into used Mercedes GLKs and the M class, BMW X3/5, Infiniti FX, Audi Q5, or Acura MDX. I really loved the 330hp of the G37 and would like something that still performs well and is fun to drive. I believe any of the SUVs I listed would fit that criteria.

I was looking to replace my wife's MDX for something bigger (new dog) that could go on the beach last year and found that the MDX is surprisingly big inside. I think it has the most cargo space of the cars you listed and is almost as big as the Lexus LX which you would think would be way bigger.

It also has a functional third row if you need it while I don't think some of the others you listed do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com