Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Currently the Carolina Panther blueprint for success looks pretty good.

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 BamKam

BamKam

NEWB

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:33 PM

I have predicted the SB champs 2 years in a row now right after the previous Super Bowl. I have the Panthers winning it all next year, I hope the Seahawks can make it back to the big game, but it is really hard to win back to back SBs this day and age especially with how grueling the NFC will be next year with SEA/SF/CAR/GB/NO/PHI/ARI. 

The Panthers reminded me this year of our team last year, a team with a savage defense and a great young QB that just needed one or two more pieces to hoist the Lombardi. Those 2 pieces for us were Micahel Bennett and Cliff Avril, the one thing that stood out in our loss to ATL in the playoffs was that Ryan had 2 hours to find an open reciever with Clemons going down the weak before and being incredibly thin in the pass rush department.

I feel CAR needs 2 offensive weapons (who they will find) to get over that hump. They don't have to be great players, just pretty good ones for Cam to spread the ball around.

One thing is for sure, the Lombardi will stay in the NFC for awhile, I am glad we got to expose the weak AFC. Pulling for you guys when you aren't playing Seattle, lets make sure that NO/SF don't sniff another Super Bowl in this decade. 

#62 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,465 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:58 PM

All the more reasons to trade up in the draft. Sammy Watkins=Percy Harvin.

No Way!!!!

Going from 28 to Top 10 would be ridiculously expensive.  We would have to give up 3 years of firsts to get there.  There is not a guy worth that.

#63 Zithers

Zithers

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:29 PM

Gotta build to beat the teams you're gonna have to play. I remember Gettleman saying in his introductory presser that when Shaun O'Hara went down at center, they looked at their schedule and saw a bunch of 3-4 teams. They wanted to sign someone who was strong enough to battle those nose tackles. So they signed David Baas, who is a huge dude, and won a Super Bowl.

I wanna follow that same logic. We're going to have to beat the 49ers, Seahawks, and Saints if we want to get to the Super Bowl. What are all these teams great at? Having a physical defense. So we need a physical offense to combat it. Make sure we've got hog mollies on OL. A line of Gross/new guy, Silatolu, Kalil, Wharton?, Gross/new guy wouldn't be too shabby. On offense late in the first we could pray for the 6'5 Kelvin Benjamin or pick up a tight end like ASJ or Ebron or Amaro. Sign Hakeem Nicks to a cheap 'prove it' deal. There's not much money being spent on offense.

Then keep the good UFAs that make a difference like Ginn, Senn, Gano, Mitchell, etc. Let Hardy walk if he says no to our first offer. We got by without CJ, who is better than Hardy. Let's not forget he feasted on a first start tackle and whatever scrubs the Falcons were playing to go from 6 to 15 sacks in the final month. I have no doubt he'll be a double digit sacker for other teams but we can do without him. Simple as that. Only thing I'd really do on defense is try to improve corner but I don't know if that's realistically in the cards.

Gettleman retooled the defense last offseason (Cole, Star, Short, Blackburn, Klein, Florence, White, Mitchell, Mikell, Lester, bringing back Captain and Dwan) and now it's the offense's turn. Gonna be a good season. Don't worry. Will be even better once we're out of Hurney's cap hell.

#64 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,700 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:01 PM

The difference between Ron and Pete is Ron was a linebacker coach and he has our linebacker core off the chains but Pete was a db coach and his players literally dismantled Manning toys in coverage. I listened to how Sherman talked about how he looked at the numbers of the receivers and soon as they break he looks at their hips and try to stay in front of them so he can dictate how they recover on a route. That was some awesome poo, and until we get coaches that can coach up our db's then we won't be able to shut down the Mannings in the league consistently.

I don't want to hear we need a 1st round corner because Sherman was a 5th round project that ends up being a top tier corner because his coaches know the position in and out. Look at the linebackers for that team and they were like corners out there running with receivers. We need a new db coach to get our players to be contenders. Sherman was as raw as they come just as much as Norman, but we keep talking about how raw our db's are. They are raw because of the coaches.

Either of our running backs can match Lynch if we can get an o-line that allows them to get some running room to the line of scrimmage. I have watched williams and stew and if both are allowed to get to the los without being touched, it will take more than one defender to break them down, usually either of them will break the first tackle and make others miss, they just need to build that steam.

As far as Harvin, I think we have that in Ginn. Give Ginn this season to be in the system and we have our Percy if we can retain him.

Sherman was not a 5th round project. He was a first round pick that got his reputation destroyed by harbaugh which killed his draft stock and no team wanted to touch him

#65 ThunderKatt

ThunderKatt

Hello to All my Haters

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationIn yo moma

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:21 PM

Say it how you want but any time 32 teams pass on a player in 4 rounds means they didn't feel like he was worth it.  There are players that have known issues and still go in the first rounds.  So to me he was picked in the 5th round and Seattle pulled the trigger and got a damn good deal on price and a player.

Sherman was not a 5th round project. He was a first round pick that got his reputation destroyed by harbaugh which killed his draft stock and no team wanted to touch him

#66 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,700 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:12 PM

Say it how you want but any time 32 teams pass on a player in 4 rounds means they didn't feel like he was worth it. There are players that have known issues and still go in the first rounds. So to me he was picked in the 5th round and Seattle pulled the trigger and got a damn good deal on price and a player.

Yeah that's completely ignoring the facts and context in which he was drafted. I suggest you do research on topics before you speak on them.

#67 ThunderKatt

ThunderKatt

Hello to All my Haters

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationIn yo moma

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:24 PM

I suggest you take it for what it is and he was drafted in the 5th.  You can try to insult all you want, you don't have to respond to me.  In fact, my post wasn't for you.

Yeah that's completely ignoring the facts and context in which he was drafted. I suggest you do research on topics before you speak on them.

#68 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,814 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:39 PM

Love the Panthers but not sure how the AP chose Ron over Pete.

Seattle is widely recognized as the most talented team in the NFL.

#69 mc52beast

mc52beast

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:08 PM

People were picking the Hawks to make the playoffs b4 the season started... Panthers were being picked to finish last in their division

This team isn't far from being able to play with the big boys on a consistent basis... secondary help, o-line improvement and a couple offensive threats

#70 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,575 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:43 PM

we r close enough that a few strategic pickups can make a huge difference. whether we keep Kraken or not, we are still in a good place. The future is still bright, and getting brighter.

#71 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

__YOU CAN'T FIRE ME!__

• HUDDLER
  • 18,228 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:20 AM

Love the Panthers but not sure how the AP chose Ron over Pete.

Seattle is widely recognized as the most talented team in the NFL.

Agreed 

The greatest change over the past 15 years has been his job responsibilities, as he has full control of the Seahawks but couldn’t corral those responsibilities with the Patriots when Bobby Grier was running the front office.

Carroll couldn’t do it his way with a roster full of Bill Parcells’ players, but Carroll has acquired 49 players on the Seahawks’ 53-man roster.

At the time, Carroll didn’t realize how important absolute power would be to his success, but it became his greatest takeaway during a nine-year stint at USC.

“I didn’t have the job description to do what I wanted to do (with the Patriots),” Carroll said. “I wasn’t sure then how important it was. I know that now because we have our style. We have our philosophy and a whole approach that we stand for, and when you’re mixing styles and philosophies with other people that were in charge, it’s difficult. It was difficult for me. I realized that when I got to SC and I had total control. And I realize that now when we went to Seattle and had total control that it was necessary.”

Carroll’s vivacity was a stark contrast from Parcells, and it worked in back-to-back playoff appearances in his first two seasons.

His epic locker room personality resonated with the players, who tip-toed by Parcells’ office every morning but enjoyed opening the front door to the Foxboro Stadium facility on work days, as Carroll would greet them with high-fives and famously blast Aqua’s “Barbie Girl” from his stereo.

And after a loss, he orchestrated a fight at practice between offensive coordinator Larry Kennan and defensive coordinator Steve Sidwell, who sold it to the players who feared the coaches would come to blows. Carroll hopped in and screamed, “Everybody on the bus! We’re going bowling!” The buses were even stacked with kegs.

But the lore wore off when they lost six of their last eight games in 1999 and a prominent captain lobbied Grier for time off from practice, which was an example of the players wrangling control, and Carroll was fired after the season.

“When he went to Seattle, he had an opportunity to bring in guys that fit what he was trying to do, so it was easier for them to buy into it, versus going to a veteran team already stuck in their ways,” said Willie McGinest, an NFL Network analyst who played for the Pats from 1994-2005. “There were all Parcells-type of guys. His way is totally opposite of Parcells, so it’s kind of hard for certain guys to make that transition.”

Carroll’s guys in Seattle have fully believed in his gospel, and he works hard to keep them on their toes in a good way.

#72 micnificent28

micnificent28

• HUDDLER
  • 3,113 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:48 PM

No Way!!!!

Going from 28 to Top 10 would be ridiculously expensive. We would have to give up 3 years of firsts to get there. There is not a guy worth that.

Would cost no more than what Atlanta did to grab julio jones. Teams in position to make a run at a super bowl do things like this. But at the same time I understand what your saying. Watkins is the best wr to come out since julio and aj green.

I would have no problem with this move as it would prob cost around two ones and a two.

#73 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,755 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:12 PM

We don't need Sammy Watkins. I prefer two to three big-bodied WRs that don't drop crucial passes and aren't afraid of treading down the middle. That's all we need. Acquire guys who are tough as nails (capable of holding onto passes after getting obliterated) and fight for extra yards.

#74 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

__YOU CAN'T FIRE ME!__

• HUDDLER
  • 18,228 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:51 PM

We don't need Sammy Watkins. I prefer two to three big-bodied WRs that don't drop crucial passes and aren't afraid of treading down the middle. That's all we need. Acquire guys who are tough as nails (capable of holding onto passes after getting obliterated) and fight for extra yards.

And definetely wouldn't want to see the Panthers make the kind of move they'd have to to get in position to draft Watkins.

Getts won't let us down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com