27 replies to this topic

#1 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:29 PM

Series starts in Charlotte in 2018.

Glad to see something get worked out. Both schools should be fully adjusted to FBS by then, having a full 4 years of FBS level recruiting classes.

#2 kman72

kman72

Sports Maniac

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:35 PM

Yeah, I know a lot of people are very excited about the match ups. 

App is upset Charlotte made them come down to Jerry Richardson stadium to open the series.... Could develop into a decent rivalry but it will all determine on how competitive both programs can become. Charlotte has really started to pick up some solid recruits and have a great network recruiting tons of local Charlotte talent. The recruiting base has expanded over the last 2 yrs into GA, SC, VA and Florida. I will be curious to see what talent App can attract to stay competitive in the highest level of D1 football.   

Note: great to see another 49ers fan on the board. Did you make it out to the Spring game Saturday? 

#3 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:07 PM

I was out there. Stupidly didn't wear sunscreen and got really sunburned.

Honestly didn't pay much attention to practice. Mostly just went to tailgate with friends.

Also, if you're not already a member, you should join us over on http://www.ninernation.net or http://csnbbs.com/fo...lay.php?fid=439

#4 kman72

kman72

Sports Maniac

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:52 PM

Haha yeah I was already burned from working Rivals camp last Sunday all day. Got to speak with Jaire Alexander and Alex Barrow (first 2 Charlotte commits for 2015) both are really excited. Jaire ranked out top 5 def player at camp. 

I might swing through and read some fan discussions on those boards but I work for NinerReport.com

Team is looking pretty good so far, I've been out at practices every day all through camp and meeting with players and coaches. I know everyone is excited and ready to go forward. Spring game missed a lot of key guys that had off-season surgeries. Kalif, Ogunjobi, Devon Johnson, Clegg and Justin Bridges-Thompson

#5 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:40 AM

Haha yeah I was already burned from working Rivals camp last Sunday all day. Got to speak with Jaire Alexander and Alex Barrow (first 2 Charlotte commits for 2015) both are really excited. Jaire ranked out top 5 def player at camp. 

I might swing through and read some fan discussions on those boards but I work for NinerReport.com

Team is looking pretty good so far, I've been out at practices every day all through camp and meeting with players and coaches. I know everyone is excited and ready to go forward. Spring game missed a lot of key guys that had off-season surgeries. Kalif, Ogunjobi, Devon Johnson, Clegg and Justin Bridges-Thompson

Ah nice. I planned to work for them once back when I was in school.  I was supposed to interview a 4 star recruit that was at our basketball madness, but couldn't make it work. I talked to the kid for a few minutes and he agreed to talk to me after the event was over, but the coaches kept him for hours and I got tired of waiting. The guy running NR.com at the time got pissed and I basically told him to go fug himself.

I'm hoping to see some improvement in football this year, but I don't really have much faith in Johnson as the QB personally. I definitely won't next season unless he improves by leaps and bounds. Just don't see him as an FBS level QB.

#6 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 24,605 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:47 PM

This doesn't have to do with UNCC but, I didn't fee like making a new thread for it.

It looks like Liberty will be announced as the final member of the Sun Belt conference in coming weeks joining FCS friend App State.

App and Liberty are scheduled to play this year in what could become a solid rivalry for both programs.

#7 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:00 AM

I read the sun belt board almost every day since the CUSA board is on the same website and it doesn't seem like many fans are/will be thrilled with the addition of Liberty.

Some for religious reasons, which don't really bother me much even if I disagree with Falwell on most things, but mostly because of their online program that many view as a diplomma mill.

Proximity could breed a nice rivalry with App, but I don't really see Liberty being super successful. They've never been great at the FCS level, so I'm not sure they will be at the FBS level either.

JMU-App would have been a much better rivalry, but it seems that JMU's administration is fine being left behind while all their peers around them move up.

#8 kman72

kman72

Sports Maniac

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:17 PM

Yeah I didn't even know Liberty was looking to move up. Never followed them except for keeping in touch with Minter in his year at Liberty. I wouldn't be excited if I was the sunbelt for that. What do they bring to the table? 

JMU would be a solid addition as they have at least proved sustained success at lower levels. They pondered at moving recently but haven't pulled the trigger. I don't see them going and if they do it wont be for the sunbelt. 

#9 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:54 PM

Yeah I didn't even know Liberty was looking to move up. Never followed them except for keeping in touch with Minter in his year at Liberty. I wouldn't be excited if I was the sunbelt for that. What do they bring to the table? 

JMU would be a solid addition as they have at least proved sustained success at lower levels. They pondered at moving recently but haven't pulled the trigger. I don't see them going and if they do it wont be for the sunbelt. 

JMU is holding out for CUSA because they think Marshall, ODU, and Charlotte combine to make a nice core of geographical rivals (WKU and MT are also pretty close as well).

I simply don't see CUSA going to 16 and if they did, I would think that Ark State and Louisiana would be better / more likely choices. Taking the two best programs in the Sun Belt (by a mile) would really create a large competition gap between CUSA and the SBC, which currently isn't all that large.

#10 panthersphan

panthersphan

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,522 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:03 AM

This could turn into a nice little rivalry. Would be nice to see both schools in the Conference USA at some point.

It'll be interesting to watch App in FBS this year and what do you know, our FBS legacy begins in Ann Arbor !

Glad I went to App when it was still in the Southern Conference and FCS, fun times being in school during those 3 straight titles. And I was always skeptical of the inevitable, jumping to the FBS, that's a big move for Boone and it's in a way sad to see how the school and town has changed because of the football team's success. I know it sounds crazy, but if you went to school or lived there you would understand. But at this point, I just have to embrace the whole thing and honestly I'm pretty excited. Not only for the football team, but for basketball as well. I like our new coach, from Davidson, who knows they could put together a decent little program up there. I will miss winning National Championships though : ) 

GO APPS!!!!! fugya!

#11 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:12 AM

This could turn into a nice little rivalry. Would be nice to see both schools in the Conference USA at some point.

It'll be interesting to watch App in FBS this year and what do you know, our FBS legacy begins in Ann Arbor !

Glad I went to App when it was still in the Southern Conference and FCS, fun times being in school during those 3 straight titles. And I was always skeptical of the inevitable, jumping to the FBS, that's a big move for Boone and it's in a way sad to see how the school and town has changed because of the football team's success. I know it sounds crazy, but if you went to school or lived there you would understand. But at this point, I just have to embrace the whole thing and honestly I'm pretty excited. Not only for the football team, but for basketball as well. I like our new coach, from Davidson, who knows they could put together a decent little program up there. I will miss winning National Championships though : ) 

GO APPS!!!!! fugya!

Even if we don't end up in the same conference eventually, I do hope we can have a yearly game or at least a game every other year.

I doubt you guys will want to keep playing WCU every year for that jug now that you are FBS, so you could use a new in-state rivalry game...and I doubt any other FBS schools in the state would be willing to play you every year.

Rejuvenating a rivalry with Marshall could also be a fun thing for your alums.

#12 RockyTopVol

RockyTopVol

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:22 AM

He won't be around that long, but Charlotte is getting a great QB. Riley Ferguson is transferring from UT to Charlotte. Lots of ppl say he's the most talented guy Tennessee has, but he just doesn't like having to compete for the job.
I hate to see him go, but he will excel in Charlotte.

#13 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:21 AM

He won't be around that long, but Charlotte is getting a great QB. Riley Ferguson is transferring from UT to Charlotte. Lots of ppl say he's the most talented guy Tennessee has, but he just doesn't like having to compete for the job.
I hate to see him go, but he will excel in Charlotte.

Has it been confirmed yet? All I've seen is speculation.

We also got Uriah Lemay from Georgia last week. Two big pick ups for our program.

We have some good talent stock piled at WR and QB (if Ferguson actually comes here). Our WR corps is filled with 3 star recruits and a few guys that showed a lot of skill last year and now we have two young three star QB's (again, assuming Ferguson comes here) that had good offer lists.

We are still weak on the D line though and I'm afraid teams are going to abuse us at the LOS next year when we move up to FBS. If we can get that fixed, we may not embarrass ourselves our first year playing (sorta) big boy football.

If Ferguson comes here, I hope he doesn't think he'll just be handed the job. We signed a kid this year named Brooks Barden who was a three star QB with some nice offers. He was the leading passer in AAA football in Georgia. Smart kid and a hard worker. He actually enrolled early this spring. I'm not counting him out. Ferguson will have to earn it.

Edited by Niner National, 30 May 2014 - 09:23 AM.

#14 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 30 May 2014 - 02:50 PM

do you think they will be able to sell out the stadium when App comes to town? 

#15 kman72

kman72

Sports Maniac

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 31 May 2014 - 02:42 PM

Has it been confirmed yet? All I've seen is speculation.

We also got Uriah Lemay from Georgia last week. Two big pick ups for our program.

We have some good talent stock piled at WR and QB (if Ferguson actually comes here). Our WR corps is filled with 3 star recruits and a few guys that showed a lot of skill last year and now we have two young three star QB's (again, assuming Ferguson comes here) that had good offer lists.

We are still weak on the D line though and I'm afraid teams are going to abuse us at the LOS next year when we move up to FBS. If we can get that fixed, we may not embarrass ourselves our first year playing (sorta) big boy football.

If Ferguson comes here, I hope he doesn't think he'll just be handed the job. We signed a kid this year named Brooks Barden who was a three star QB with some nice offers. He was the leading passer in AAA football in Georgia. Smart kid and a hard worker. He actually enrolled early this spring. I'm not counting him out. Ferguson will have to earn it.

Riley hasn't enjoyed his time at Tennessee and that's why he is leaving. He wasn't recruited by current staff more by Derek Dooley and the previous staff. He did commit to Jones staff but he has regretted it from day 1. 

He won't officially or privately confirm what he is doing. His brother plays wr at Charlotte and close friend Uriah is coming back to Charlotte to play. Both Uriah and Riley have to sit out next yr and will lose a yr of eligibility. Riley wouldn't say much when I spoke with him but his dad and Uriah both said he was definitely leaning towards coming back home and playing for Charlotte.    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com