26 replies to this topic

#16 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,419 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 03:18 PM

Good news for Charlotte fans then.

I'm perfectly content being the landing spot for talented local kids transferring back home when the big programs didn't work out. Can build a good program that way. Obviously not going to compete for national championships with SEC/ACC castoffs, but CUSA championships, yes.

#17 kman72

kman72

Sports Maniac

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 31 May 2014 - 04:00 PM

Its important to keep building pipelines with the powerhouse high schools. With them coming back it continues to strengthen the Butler pipeline. If Charlotte can control some of the Butler, Mallard Creek, Independence, Rocky River and West Meck kids that is a strong start for controlling Charlotte talent. We have our hands in Cartersville a very solid school in Georgia. 

When talking to recruits they love the facilities and coaches. One constant that stands out is O-line coach and recruiting coordinator Phil Ratliff. Players love him as a person and his football background. He is a key to the success of Charlotte recruiting. 

#18 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,419 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 06:06 PM

Its important to keep building pipelines with the powerhouse high schools. With them coming back it continues to strengthen the Butler pipeline. If Charlotte can control some of the Butler, Mallard Creek, Independence, Rocky River and West Meck kids that is a strong start for controlling Charlotte talent. We have our hands in Cartersville a very solid school in Georgia. 

When talking to recruits they love the facilities and coaches. One constant that stands out is O-line coach and recruiting coordinator Phil Ratliff. Players love him as a person and his football background. He is a key to the success of Charlotte recruiting. 

Blitch's dad told me they're expanding the stadium after this season. You heard anything about that?

He broke the news to us about the UK game next year (which still hasn't been formally announced, but was confirmed by someone in the AD), so I know he knows some things that aren't public knowledge.

#19 kman72

kman72

Sports Maniac

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:32 PM

Blitch's dad told me they're expanding the stadium after this season. You heard anything about that?

He broke the news to us about the UK game next year (which still hasn't been formally announced, but was confirmed by someone in the AD), so I know he knows some things that aren't public knowledge.

Some talks on the stadium about lights going up and expanding. I haven't talked with anyone about that recently but I can go find out. Will take a few days since I'm out of town right now, but I'll find out what the plans are for the stadium. 

Yeah, a lot of info stays inside the program but players and parents will know most of it just from being around. 

#20 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,419 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:47 PM

Some talks on the stadium about lights going up and expanding. I haven't talked with anyone about that recently but I can go find out. Will take a few days since I'm out of town right now, but I'll find out what the plans are for the stadium. 

Yeah, a lot of info stays inside the program but players and parents will know most of it just from being around. 

Appreciate it.

Basically what Blitch's dad said was they delayed the lights a year (they were originally supposed to go up this spring/summer) because the lights were designed to be added when the stadium was expanded. Apparently doing both at the same time is a cost saving move. Hoping they're right and I'm hoping they add onto both sides at the same time. I don't want a horrible lopsided stadium like JMU has.

#21 CollegePanther

CollegePanther

President

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:24 PM

Has it been confirmed yet? All I've seen is speculation.

We also got Uriah Lemay from Georgia last week. Two big pick ups for our program.

We have some good talent stock piled at WR and QB (if Ferguson actually comes here). Our WR corps is filled with 3 star recruits and a few guys that showed a lot of skill last year and now we have two young three star QB's (again, assuming Ferguson comes here) that had good offer lists.

We are still weak on the D line though and I'm afraid teams are going to abuse us at the LOS next year when we move up to FBS. If we can get that fixed, we may not embarrass ourselves our first year playing (sorta) big boy football.

If Ferguson comes here, I hope he doesn't think he'll just be handed the job. We signed a kid this year named Brooks Barden who was a three star QB with some nice offers. He was the leading passer in AAA football in Georgia. Smart kid and a hard worker. He actually enrolled early this spring. I'm not counting him out. Ferguson will have to earn it.

Pretty excited to see LeMay coming here, if Ferguson does decide to come that would be crazy... two big-level recruits at two huge positions might put us in position to surprise some people

#22 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,419 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:09 PM

Pretty excited to see LeMay coming here, if Ferguson does decide to come that would be crazy... two big-level recruits at two huge positions might put us in position to surprise some people

Someone on the Niner board today said he isn't coming. I know this guy and he knows people inside the program, so I feel pretty confident that he knows what he's talking about.

#23 cbarrier90

cbarrier90

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:03 PM

I'm perfectly content being the landing spot for talented local kids transferring back home when the big programs didn't work out.

Looks like you got another one to add to that mix. Anthony Covington out of Mallard Creek is transferring from App. 3 star corner with alot of offers that just got lost in the shuffle with such a young secondary last season. From all accounts it looks like he just didn't like it in Boone and wanted to come home. It happens.

#24 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,419 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:18 PM

Looks like you got another one to add to that mix. Anthony Covington out of Mallard Creek is transferring from App. 3 star corner with alot of offers that just got lost in the shuffle with such a young secondary last season. From all accounts it looks like he just didn't like it in Boone and wanted to come home. It happens.

Yeah, we lost a guy to App last year. I believe he was a 3 star as well. Maybe 2 star. He was a WR for us, but wanted to play QB and I think App told him he'd have a chance to do that there (although it doesn't seem likely based on who is in front of him).

Both schools will lose their fair share to the other I'm sure.

#25 kman72

kman72

Sports Maniac

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:40 PM

Covington had offers from every school in the NC last yr. Solid pickup for Charlotte, he was a 3* player out of MC. 

#26 FuFuLamePoo

FuFuLamePoo

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:58 PM

I still doubt that even by 2018 or 2019 Charlotte will be able to compete with App.

#27 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,419 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:53 PM

I still doubt that even by 2018 or 2019 Charlotte will be able to compete with App.

ODU and UTSA are solid examples of programs that just started up that were able to compete immediately.

South Alabama has only been FBS for a couple years and they're expected to finish top 3 in the SBC this year and will likely be bowl eligible.

App is moving up a level themselves while coming off a bad season. They're not immune to bad years and they'll likely experience a few in a row with the move to FBS.

It doesn't really take much to compete with other programs outside of the power conferences. Few teams in the lower conferences are great year after year after year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.