#16 Madwolf

Madwolf

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:21 PM

I like this move. How many guys did we waste picks on under the previous GM picking based on "potential?" Armanti Edwards anyone?

#17 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,243 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:27 PM

Can't say a look at the list of the other teams that do this thrills me any..

#18 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,161 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:29 PM

This isn't all that surprising. Gettleman has worked within and with BLESTO for pretty much his entire career. It's his comfort zone. 

agreed and it was only a matter of time. in fact i kind of expected it earlier than this but i think it was just a matter of him wanting to give national scouting a chance before switching.

i like that it's happening.

#19 FootballMaestro

FootballMaestro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:30 PM

This only makes sense. As Gettleman knows the tendencies of BLESTO, he can better analyze, and/or make the decisions on certain players. IE: He has a better feel. With National, not so much; presuming. 

#20 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,361 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

agreed and it was only a matter of time. in fact i kind of expected it earlier than this but i think it was just a matter of him wanting to give national scouting a chance before switching.

i like that it's happening.

Does your gut tell you this is an isolated move or a first move with others to come?

#21 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 7,395 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:37 PM

We're the only one that made the playoffs out of that bunch

True. But the Steelers and Giants have each won two Super Bowls in the past 10 years. Success in scouting cannot be determined buy looking through a microscope at a single season. These organizations collect info but it is still up to the team to make a decision with it.

#22 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,161 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:46 PM

Does your gut tell you this is an isolated move or a first move with others to come?

i think there will be others to come, but no sweeping changes all at once. there may be a couple changes to the scouting and personnel office, but most everything will continue with who we have, only with a lot more education. i think those who get replaced will be those who have trouble adjusting to the new philosophy. 

i am just curious to see who we bring in for visits.

#23 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 18,235 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:57 PM

Dumb question perhaps but why can't you be part of both?

Good question.

Basically nobody hires two independent vendors. Whether it is your accountant or a marketing firm or a defense firm you pick one. Not only would it be doubly expensive but usually the vendor would insist on being a sole pick.

#24 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 7,395 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:59 PM

The key to understanding this is understanding what an organization like blesto does. They provide baseline scouting info on underclassmen to be used as a foundation for scouting the seniors and likely draft candidates for the following season.

http://www.draftdadd...ures/blesto.htm

#25 Fan01

Fan01

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:04 PM

This won't make a huge difference except in making G-man more comfortable.  It's like he's going from Windows to Mac. 

I would bet that if you take 10 random draft picks and look at the reports from each of them they'll be very similar.  With Gettleman history with BLESTRO he can probably pick up the phone and talk to any scout they have directly.  He's got a history with them and that's more important then the service they're providing comparable to National.  

I wouldn't be surprised if Gettleman talked to some of those guys last year.  It was just too last to really switch.

#26 Mvp2014

Mvp2014

Phenom

• HUDDLER
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:08 PM

Would feel better if we had the same scouts as seattle. They are obviously way ahead of us and those other garbage teams in talent evaluation,

#27 ThunderKatt

ThunderKatt

Hello to All my Haters

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationIn yo moma

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:13 PM

4 Superbowls in the past 8 years.  For it to be a small group, they sure are dominating the Super Bowl hunt.

Yeah, that's not exactly an exciting bunch to be with.

#28 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,765 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:41 PM

Looks like a good move on the surface. However, like so many other moves in the NFL, we will have to wait four or five years to see if this gleans some real results, especially for our later round picks. I'd like to stop cutting every single 7th rounder we pick...

#29 Riverboat Ron

Riverboat Ron

Sinking Ship

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:45 PM

Why does Gettleman need BLESTO when he already has the best scouts in the world here on the huddle?

#30 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,368 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:46 PM

In Gettleman I trust and given his background with BLESTO I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com