604 replies to this topic

#556 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,754 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:13 AM

It's really that easy. You know what you know and you don't what you don't. Belief is not part of that simple idea.

#557 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,313 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:19 AM

I have had a couple folks agree with Ham and say he has a better argument.

Geographic assumptions are usually correct in these opinions.

*sits in his big boy chair of believing God and Evolution do not have to be mutually exclusive*

#558 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,313 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:26 AM

evidence pertains to science which pertains to concepts of empiricism stemming from the enlightenment, all of which naturally imply observation, and it's pretty obvious God is not observable, so your question can be rejected in its entiretey

That  depends on your interpretation of what you are viewing.  Not all is completely understood. Why do things happen as they do? Some see chance, random events, causes of and effects layering on top of each other.   Others see that same portrait of life and see a grand design.

I'm a big fan of The Watchmaker argument and I understand it's refutations.

This does not preclude me from looking deeper and in looking deeper I don't neglect the possibility of there being a "grand Designer".

#559 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,754 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:29 AM

There's a possibility my cat is God, I cannot prove or disprove this idea.

It has exactly the same weight as any other non provable argument. But the odds of it being correct are quite small so I don't spend much time thinking about it and concentrate on what I know instead.

#560 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,313 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:35 AM

There's a possibility my cat is God, I cannot prove or disprove this idea.

It has exactly the same weight as any other non provable argument. But the odds of it being correct are quite small so I don't spend much time thinking about it and concentrate on what I know instead.

and to me, that is perfectly fine.

I tend to search internally for answers, in quiet moments and prayer or short meditation. I've had dark moments in my faith. I've had moments where I feel I was being moved by a guiding hand.   I fail in the definition most Christians in the fact I am not pushy towards Atheists and those who follow other paths in their spirituality (I'm also a cursing horn dog but I digress). I think the argument/conversation becomes inflamed when the game of one-upmanship takes hold and ends any relevant dialog.

#561 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 18,692 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:51 AM

That  depends on your interpretation of what you are viewing.  Not all is completely understood. Why do things happen as they do? Some see chance, random events, causes of and effects layering on top of each other.   Others see that same portrait of life and see a grand design.

I'm a big fan of The Watchmaker argument and I understand it's refutations.

This does not preclude me from looking deeper and in looking deeper I don't neglect the possibility of there being a "grand Designer".

paley's watchmaker argument has long been debunked

and i'm not saying god cannot be supported, i'm saying tangible evidence cannot be considered evidence for god, because god is not tangible. philosophical arguments tend to be the most cogent IMO... but the nature of god and the nature of empirical evidence is such that the one can never possibly "prove" the other because they're operating on fundamentally different planes of existence.

#562 MCC

MCC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:53 PM

http://gawker.com/wa...nism-1520841986

This documentary is overflowing with intelligence. 

#563 venom

venom

oneinfiniteconsciousness

• HUDDLER
  • 7,496 posts
  • LocationPleiades

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:06 PM

It seems a lot of people like to debate these topics purely for the opportunity of making someone else look stupid. I guess that's the tinderbox in general for you though.

#564 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,474 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:39 PM

It seems a lot of people like to debate these topics purely for the opportunity of making someone else look stupid. I guess that's the tinderbox in general for you though.

Seems to be a recurring coincidence, huh?

#565 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,887 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:45 PM

Is God perfect in every way?

If so, everything he creates must be perfect.

There is no need for mutations in a perfect world.

You could argue god created an imperfect world for us before we can get to heaven his perfect one. But there's no sense since you clearly lack any kind of respect for the subject

#566 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,093 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:30 PM

You could argue god created an imperfect world for us before we can get to heaven his perfect one. But there's no sense since you clearly lack any kind of respect for the subject

You could, but I wouldn't.  

Your line of reasoning just makes God out to be a manipulative, egomaniacal, douche bag toying with the lives of tens of billions of people, simply to satisfy his narcissistic need to be worshipped.

#567 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,887 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:06 PM

You could, but I wouldn't.

Your line of reasoning just makes God out to be a manipulative, egomaniacal, douche bag toying with the lives of tens of billions of people, simply to satisfy his narcissistic need to be worshipped.

This post is precisely why you are not fit to have an intellectual discussion on this topic.

#568 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 18,692 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:22 PM

This post is precisely why you are not fit to have an intellectual discussion on this topic.

huh? that doesn't make sense. that conclusion is drawn from intellectual processes. don't mistake something sounding really hurtful for a lack of intellectual clout behind it.

#569 intangiblejohnny

intangiblejohnny

The Josh McRoberts of Posting

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • LocationInterwebz

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:43 AM

There is no way to to argue over faith based solely on imperical data. Faith arguments are philosophical by nature. Faith in a higher power is largely based on "feeling" or a subjective interpretation of one's observations.

I say this as a Christian and as a curious intellectual dreamer. Spirituality is, or should be, a deeply personal experience. This is why I don't agree with organized religion as it attempts to uniform spirituality for the purpose of controlling individuals or making money.

I beg that some of you consider that not all subscribers to the idea of a higher power are foolish, deluded, idiots. Some of us are tolerant, reasonable people who do not expect others believe as we do.

#570 venom

venom

oneinfiniteconsciousness

• HUDDLER
  • 7,496 posts
  • LocationPleiades

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:02 AM

Seems to be a recurring coincidence, huh?

:P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.