30 replies to this topic

#16 Evengelion

Evengelion

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:06 AM

So the NFL picked Peyton and the broncos to get humiliated 43-8 in front of 101 mil viewers? Yep, that makes perfect sense!

#17 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,535 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:40 AM

Exciting, competitive games always get better ratings and make more money.

If the NFL were fixing games, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have put on that crapfest we saw Sunday.

#18 Way Truth Life

Way Truth Life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:11 PM

If you guys watch the video and read the article you will understand what the guy is trying to say.  Obviously the NFL can not out right fix the games, but if the teams are evenly matched and the game is a game of inches, then several poor calls by the refs could very easily manipulate the results of the game.  

The article goes further to explain that even with the 13th man in Seattle's case (refs) that doesn't ensure the ending the NFL may desire.  Had Kap thrown the last pass to the corner, SF goes to NY instead of Seattle.  

I thought it was worth watching and reading.....feel free to keep commenting with out bothering to read or watch though...it's the huddle way.

#19 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:23 PM

I watched the video.  There were a lot of questionable calls that went Seattle's way.  The one where they gave Seattle the first down when it was obviously short was pretty bad.  It could be chalked up to just straight up poor officiating but, who knows.  The NBA fixes games, that's a well known fact at this point,and I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL did too.  It's a billion dollar industry and they have a lot of money to gain by having certain teams in the biggest games.

#20 SZ James

SZ James

herd it on routers

• HUDDLER
  • 7,589 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:26 PM

This was made by one butthurt niner fan

who gives a fug

#21 Way Truth Life

Way Truth Life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:36 PM

This was made by one butthurt niner fan

who gives a fug

Yeah....and I'm a butt hurt Carolina fan that feels like San Fran got the same 12th player services in Carolina due to the rivalry match up between Seattle and San Fran.....

50% of the 9ers butt hurt gripes are dead on though and if only 1 were correct that's 1 too many when it comes down to the last play of the game which decided who played in the Superbowl.  

#22 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 4,811 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:08 PM

And the gain for the NFL is....?

Dear Seattle Fans

We really like your commitment and would like to risk going to prison and the collapse of our multi billion dollar industry to say thank you.

Sincerely,

The NFL

ps....12th man 4Ever!!!!!

Seriously, what does the NFL get in return for any of what you listed?

The question is obvious, they get ratings.  Go look at the ratings for the Superbowl.  The highest EVER.  That means before the game, they sold advertisers on what they expected ratings to be, if the ratings are lower, they have to give money back.  They put offense vs defense, and sold it like that in all the promos.  All season they propped Seattle up in promos and broadcast to be the darling team.  All we heard about was the "12th man".   Russel Wilson was made to look like the second coming of Jesus with all the promos he gets.  Market size means NOTHING when it comes to ratings during games, because selling ads is where the money is at.   Case in point, Green Bay usually draws pretty big ratings, and their market size isn't that huge.   It's about how many fans they have, what kind of fans (how much do they spend, for advertisers), storylines, and what kind of "personalities" are on those teams to make them interesting (all year, Wilson and Sherman propped up for their personalities).  

#23 panthersphan

panthersphan

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,481 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:01 PM

No, NFL officials are just horrid.

#24 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 46,990 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:14 PM

#25 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,521 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:58 AM

Yes. Old news.

#26 SauceBoss

SauceBoss

IT IS WHAT IT IS

• HUDDLER
  • 2,219 posts
  • LocationGreenville, SC

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:06 AM

simply put, it's rigged. The NFL knows who they want to generate money rather its merchandise or TV ratings.

#27 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,417 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:30 AM

So I'd like someone to explain to me how all this "fixing" works.

Does Rodger G. call the head official and tell him who to favor? Do all the owners secretly get together and decide who is going to be good that year or who is the favored son? Do the networks tell the NFL who they want in the big game? And how do they do this with no one spilling the beans and making a gazillion dollars off the ensuing expose?

Someone, anyone, can you answer even one of these questions?

#28 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,879 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:44 AM

So I'd like someone to explain to me how all this "fixing" works.

Does Rodger G. call the head official and tell him who to favor? Do all the owners secretly get together and decide who is going to be good that year or who is the favored son? Do the networks tell the NFL who they want in the big game? And how do they do this with no one spilling the beans and making a gazillion dollars off the ensuing expose?

Someone, anyone, can you answer even one of these questions?

Right on.The NFL "fixes" games by creating a salary cap, the draft order, etc.  Just trying to level the playing field.  If the NFL fixed games, we would not have seen Seatte and Denver playing on the east coast--We would have seen the Giants and Jets.

#29 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 4,811 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:19 AM

Right on.The NFL "fixes" games by creating a salary cap, the draft order, etc.  Just trying to level the playing field.  If the NFL fixed games, we would not have seen Seatte and Denver playing on the east coast--We would have seen the Giants and Jets.

I really don't think Jets vs Giants (Geno vs Int Manning) would draw even CLOSE to the ratings of the "best defense vs best offense" battle we seen.  Let's be real.  It's not about seats, they get sold regardless, it is about TV ratings.   Like I said, they have been propping up Seattle all year and Wilson as a Saint, and Peyton and the big offense.   If I tell you the sky is blue and you say it's purple, even though you can see it right in front of your eyes, not much else I can do.  There is a reason there is a ton of speculation coming out now, it's everywhere, and it's because the NFL is trying too hard now.

All it takes is one ref to turn the tide, it may not always work, but a lot of times it does.  Why do the rules keep getting more muddy and harder to make judgements on?   Refs have a LOT of leeway on making decisions.  It can go one way, or the other, so basically the ref has complete control.  What is a catch?  Who knows.  Rules get more complicated each year, not simplified, and for good reason.  Why are refs the only people in the NFL that have no consequences on bad performance?  I find that odd.  I also find it odd that when the extra official is picked for the Superbowls, a lot of times it's someone with a bad performance rating the whole year.  

I fully expect next season or the next to be when Manning wins another super bowl, it will also be the year he's retiring so the rating will blow up at Manning's "last game".   I believe it started about a decade ago, not before, since then the storylines are always too perfect, and there are too many coincidences.  Like I said, lots of people refuse to admit that things are fishy and their sport isn't completely clean, those are people in denial.  Money rules all, ratings are God for the NFL.   The NFL is slightly above the WWE, as a entertainment company, they can legally rig outcomes as they wish.  

#30 intangiblejohnny

intangiblejohnny

The Josh McRoberts of Posting

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • LocationInterwebz

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

The number of people that would be required to fix an NFL game would make it impossible to actually rig one.

To quote a saying: The only way two people can keep a secret is if one of them is dead"

The risk would not be worth the reward for the NFL. It would only take one disgruntled employee to blow tje whole thing out of the water and ruin the NFL just like it hapoened to the MLB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.