• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,597 posts
  • LocationCharleston SC

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:46 AM

After reading the what the NFL.com article (that El Chingon posted) had to say about Greg Olsen,  it made me think that Olsen is a prime candidate for restructure.  He's very underrated outside of the Carolinas apparently, but the article is right, a 7.8 million dollar salary this is way too high at the TE spot.  

My gut feeling tells me that Greg would be willing to restructure.  Would do you guys think?

#2 PantherWake

PantherWake

How Bout Dem Gamecocks

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:53 AM

Yeah I never realize we were paying him that much but he's probably our best receiver at this point so I'm not too mad about it.

I think Greg Olsen is all about winning, just based off his post-game comments after wins and losses and taking the blame, so I think he would restructure.

#3 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,846 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:04 AM

I believe he would, it's one of the benefits of having a lot (notice it's not 'alot') of high character guys. They tend to be "team first" people.

#4 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,510 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:17 AM

Restructure?

Yes.

Contract reduction?

No.

#5 Dollar Store Dave

Dollar Store Dave

Formerly Know As Ruff

• HUDDLER
  • 7,482 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:24 AM

Why would he restructure? He's the best receiver we have on the team right now and he knows it.

#6 QCkilla

QCkilla

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationQueen City

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:26 AM

Why would he restructure? He's the best receiver we have on the team right now and he knows it.

To take one for the team. That's the only reason anyone not in danger of being released would ever do that.

#7 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,510 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:28 AM

You do realize restructuring doesn't involve taking a paycut, right? In fact, he'll probably get more guaranteed money.

#8 Evengelion

Evengelion

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:29 AM

He's our best receiver on this team, which is pathetic in itself. So $7.8 is not that high. It just shows that this team put little value in pass catchers. It's all about RBs and defense with this team.

#9 Cpt slay a ho

Cpt slay a ho

Lord Flacko

• HUDDLER
  • 2,281 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:16 PM

gonzo got paid in the 5 million area,witten gets paid in the 4mill area................hell yeah olsen needs to restructure

#10 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,311 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:20 PM

I swear, restructure doesn't mean what some of you think it does. He's not taking a pay cut, but he'll gladly convert future salary into a signing bonus. And his cap number is not the same as his actual salary.

#11 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,962 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:23 PM

No he is not a candidate for a restructure. A restructure simply converts some of the current year salary into a signing bonus which he gets upfront and prorates the bonus over the rest of his contract.  It doesn't work for Olsen since his contract only runs through 2015 and he already counts 7 million toward the cap this year and next due to a restructuring last year. If he restructured he would reduce his cap hit this year but it would be way too high next year that you would have to cut him and eat a bunch of dead cap money.

What he is eligible for is an extension which allows his current salary and future salary to be converted into a signing bonus which will be prorated over the remainder of his new contract which could be the current 2 years and an extension for 3 more for a total of 5 years. That way you can give him a big signing bonus which he would jump on and prorate that and give him minimal salary this year so you could reduce his cap hit to something in the 4 million range.  You can even add dummy years to the end of the contract to stretch the cap hit out longer.

#12 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,609 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:24 PM

Add two years to the deal IMO

#13 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

Freddy Frashbear

• HUDDLER