Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would Greg Olsen Restructure?

39 posts in this topic

Posted

Not that he's over paid...not even close, but would love to see him get extended another 2-3 years and reduce his cap hit.

Posted

After reading the what the NFL.com article (that El Chingon posted) had to say about Greg Olsen,  it made me think that Olsen is a prime candidate for restructure.  He's very underrated outside of the Carolinas apparently, but the article is right, a 7.8 million dollar salary this is way too high at the TE spot.  

My gut feeling tells me that Greg would be willing to restructure.  Would do you guys think?

My gut says he will too but that is presumptive.I am not sure what he would command on the open market plus he has reconstructed already.  

Posted

No one works harder than greg, hes a true pro.  For the last two years hes played at a top 6 TE level, breaking all the panther TE records that walls had. Best hands on the team and can catch cams hard overthrows. He wants and fights to play every snap and I believe lead non QB/OL men in offensive snaps lasted year. Currently hes the panthers best receiving option(on ANY down), so........ 

But hes not worth 8 million when the fan tag is 4.5mill for TEs. Hes lacking in the blocking area, over time his yac seem to be lower and lower. I know drafting a early TE would make things interesting.....no question something needs to be done with his deal, now or in the short future.  

Posted

I feel pretty sure he would be willing to restructure... most of these guys will be.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Posted

No one works harder than greg, hes a true pro.  For the last two years hes played at a top 6 TE level, breaking all the panther TE records that walls had. Best hands on the team and can catch cams hard overthrows. He wants and fights to play every snap and I believe lead non QB/OL men in offensive snaps lasted year. Currently hes the panthers best receiving option(on ANY down), so........ 

But hes not worth 8 million when the fan tag is 4.5mill for TEs. Hes lacking in the blocking area, over time his yac seem to be lower and lower. I know drafting a early TE would make things interesting.....no question something needs to be done with his deal, now or in the short future.

He isn't making 8 million and the franchise tag for tight ends in 2013 was 6 million not 4. He is making 5.5 million which is right for his production. His cap hit is 8 million due to past restructures which the team created not him. They can easily fix it by extending him for all the reasons you mentioned in the first paragraph.

Posted

I feel pretty sure he would be willing to restructure... most of these guys will be.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

I wouldn't restructure if I were him after doing it the past 2 years unless I knew you were extending me this year or next. Restructuring this year and pushing anything left to next year would all but guarantee I would be cut next year with a cap hit over 10 million. I would be glad for an extension which he deserves.

Posted

So restructure him this year and cut him next year.

If you do that you just push more dead cap space to next year when you cut him. It will be 3 million already if you cut him next year which would grow to 5 or 6 million. I don't think most of you know what restructuring does. He only restructures if he is promised to be extended later this year or next year. Unless he doesn't want to be here which I think he does.
1 person likes this

Posted

I do not thnk you will see the restructuring that occured last year.  At some point you turn the corner and try not to do that. 

Posted

Extend the man!

Posted

I do not thnk you will see the restructuring that occured last year.  At some point you turn the corner and try not to do that.

Exactly. Gettleman came into a terrible situation and had no choice but give out so many 1 year contracts and restructure everyone. He has already said he didn't want so many free agents and wont be restructuring everyone again. Each year as things get better you will see him making more long term deals and building through the draft instead of so many stop gap measures to fix the mess he inherited.
1 person likes this

Posted

Olsen is good, not great.

1 person likes this

Posted

He just restructured.

Gettleman basically Hurney-magic'd last offseason. He did pretty much what Hurney would have done from a cap stand point. Moved money around.

Gettlemen is gonna have to eat money and sit on some bad deals.....otherwise it will be a never ending cycle IMO.

To be in a good situation in a couple years....which is his goal. He can't keep pushing money around

1 person likes this