Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Aid in Dying" Movement: Thoughts

26 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/08/us/easing-terminal-patients-path-to-death-legally.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0

DENVER — Helping the terminally ill end their lives, condemned for decades as immoral, is gaining traction. Banned everywhere but Oregon until 2008, it is now legal in five states. Its advocates, who have learned to shun the term “assisted suicide,” believe that as baby boomers watch frail parents suffer, support for what they call the “aid in dying” movement will grow further.

In January, a district court in New Mexico authorized doctors to provide lethal prescriptions and declared a constitutional right for “a competent, terminally ill patient to choose aid in dying.” Last May, the Vermont Legislature passed a law permitting it, joining Montana, Oregon and Washington. This spring, advocates are strongly promoting “death with dignity” bills in Connecticut and other states.

Thoughts on this subject? I'm all for this. While many people here seem to think uninsured people's use of the ER is driving up health care costs, I'd be curious to see just how keeping uninsured people alive against their wishes contributes to this as well....

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

slippery slope?

Posted · Report post

As someone who recently went through this I have to say I am in favor of this.
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Really dont see why someone has to aid someone to die if they really want to die unless that person is a para or quadraplegic.

Posted · Report post

Really dont see why someone has to aid someone to die if they really want to die unless that person is a para or quadraplegic.

My stepfather preferred to live every moment he could still talk and what have you.

Then he suffered for a week as the family stood around him and listened to him moan loudly as cancer slowly killed him.

Once he was in that state we should have had the ability to help him crossover in a more peaceful manner.
4 people like this

Posted · Report post

The other issue that comes to mind is life insurance policies. I believe suicide negates that, this would allow an alternative and make sure your family is still taken care of.

Posted · Report post

I have no problems with it as long as people don't start killing off grannie because she's too much of a burden. 

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

The other issue that comes to mind is life insurance policies. I believe suicide negates that, this would allow an alternative and make sure your family is still taken care of.

Nah usually suicide only negates the policy if it is the first year or so after taking out the policy.

Posted · Report post

If you are interested in this topic and have access to HBO Documentary Specials, I highly recommend you watch this one.

http://youtu.be/_F-525sCzhE

“In the beginning none of us wanted to do it except Mom,” he said in an interview. “Taking her own life was a very difficult decision for her, but she felt strongly that others should have the same choice. For her, it wasn’t about dying but living with dignity and not being a burden to her family.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/25/movies/25sundance.html?_r=0

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

My stepfather preferred to live every moment he could still talk and what have you.

Then he suffered for a week as the family stood around him and listened to him moan loudly as cancer slowly killed him.

Once he was in that state we should have had the ability to help him crossover in a more peaceful manner.

The Morphine Tap-out, that's what I called it.

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Nah usually suicide only negates the policy if it is the first year or so after taking out the policy.

That may be true. I was just thinking off the top of my head.

Posted · Report post

I believe everyone should kill themself.