Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ruff

Michael Sam, draft prospect, admits he's gay

My faith is from God which comes from knowing Him. You have no authority to comment on my faith you have no basis to do so as you know nothing about it. You may have a belief of what faith is but you cannot tell what others faith actually is, so stick with what you know.

Can you define what you mean by faith in this post?  

the question of hiding is ridiculous. and no I am not saying God only proves himself to some people. Some choose to trust God others choose to not trust God.Everyone is or will be given the chance to choose.  As far some know, God is not real. as far as some others know, God is real.

How is that a ridiculous question? It's talked about quite a bit in theology classes. 

My faith is from God which comes from knowing Him

your knowing him is filtered through what other men told you about him. ultimately your faith is not in the god-entity you believe in, but that the men who taught you about him did so properly.

When I read supernatural events in ancient text I regard it as likely fiction. Certainly we have no way of knowing if it is true or not.  I don't believe snakes impregnated Roman women in times or despair, nor do I believe Emperor Vespasian performed many healings and miracles.

Even the best attempts by historians of understanding what happened 1500-6000 years ago is based on many assumptions and the methods are insufficient in proving any supernatural claims. 

You are putting your trust in men from the bronze age. Though I imagine you don't believe most of the supernatural stories from that time period, just the ones that were put together in a book hundreds of years later.  

Again no problem with you choosing to believe it, just claiming that you know sounds pretty absurd. 

knowing God has nothing to do with what happened back in time. My trust is in God.

your knowing him is filtered through what other men told you about him. ultimately your faith is not in the god-entity you believe in, but that the men who taught you about him did so properly.

sorry no authority.

sorry no authority.

i know you can't see it but to the outside world you have your fingers planted firmly in both ears. no one expects you to change. fundamentalist muslims refuse to shift their belief in their faith no matter what evidence or arguments are presented to the contrary for the same reasons. they don't change, you won't either.

for the rest of us, your side of this discourse only confirms what many of us believe or have come to suspect about the role faith plays in the formation of worldviews: because everything we know is taught to us by other humans, you ultimately have to go through a human conduit to talk about nonhuman things. this includes god. ultimately, everything you know about god is taught to you by humans, and therefore before you have faith in god you must have faith that humans have properly taught you about god.

therefore questioning your faith is a logical response as you recognize the fallibility of humans.

i know you can't see it but to the outside world you have your fingers planted firmly in both ears. no one expects you to change. fundamentalist muslims refuse to shift their belief in their faith no matter what evidence or arguments are presented to the contrary for the same reasons. they don't change, you won't either.

for the rest of us, your side of this discourse only confirms what many of us believe or have come to suspect about the role faith plays in the formation of worldviews: because everything we know is taught to us by other humans, you ultimately have to go through a human conduit to talk about nonhuman things. this includes god. ultimately, everything you know about god is taught to you by humans, and therefore before you have faith in god you must have faith that humans have properly taught you about god.

therefore questioning your faith is a logical response as you recognize the fallibility of humans.

what outside world do you speak of ?  who is the rest of us? a few people on a message board? please do not pretend you represent the masses.  If "the rest of us" was everyone else on this board it would be a drop in a bucket, so come back to reality and try to understand the the breadth of your position and it's standing in the big picture.You represent one so represent.

what outside world do you speak of ?  who is the rest of us? 

people who don't use faith as the measuring stick for fact

I understand what you are saying it is just off the mark as it takes into consideration nothing about my faith but only about your perception or preconception. it does explain the filtering you are offering and your point only knocks down what it can know about which is you and your own logic. you can only speak to the things you know and not to the things you don't know. I will be respectful and thank you for your input.

people who don't use faith as the measuring stick for fact

which has nothing to do with the questions.

I understand what you are saying it is just off the mark as it takes into consideration nothing about my faith but only about your perception or preconception. it does explain the filtering you are offering and your point only knocks down what it can know about which is you and your own logic. you can only speak to the things you know and not to the things you don't know. I will be respectful and thank you for your input.

if you can explain to me how my perception of the nature of faith is wrong i'll listen. if you present a good argument and data to support it i'll change my mind.