4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:25 PM

http://profootballta...-in-cincinnati/

The 27-year-old Johnson is a good defensive end with plenty of good years left in him, but his sack total declined from 11.5 in2012 to 3.5 in 2013, and it sounds like the Bengals will decide that they don’t want to spend the kind of money it would take to keep him around for 2014.

http://cincinnati.co...ls-free-agents/

Background: Johnson was franchised last year for $11.175 million. He happy took that check to the bank. He didn’t produce the sacks of his 11.5 in 2012, but was still a disruptive force on the edge with 3.5 sacks, 9 passes defensed and two forced fumbles. ProFootballFocus graded him the top defensive player on the team last season, particularly dominant in rush defense. He will be one of the top free agents on the market.

Odds he returns: 20%

Explanation: Last season when the Bengals negotiated with Johnson and couldn’t come to terms, they instead gave that cash ($7.78 million APY) to Carlos Dunlap. When Geno Atkins gets 5 years/$55 million, you can forget paying another player on the line the amount of cash Johnson will warrant long term. Somebody will throw a load of money (somewhere between Dunlap/Atkins) at Johnson and the Bengals likely can’t afford to match it. They could decide to re-franchise Johnson and take the big hit one more season. That’s about the only way he returns in my estimation.

Just for the record, I hope Greg returns. But this "Charles Johnson money" I read he wanted has me worried. We have a lot of different needs and holes to fill. But Michael Johnson is at least someone to keep an eye on. He'll be much cheaper and would probably be the starter opposite CJ the minute he signed (if GH left). I hope the team has a good feel on how Frank Alexander is developing because that could be a factor on the Hardy decision as well. 

#2 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 4,978 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:27 PM

If we're going to spend big money on a DE, I'd rather spend it on the guy who has already produced in our defense.  This guy wouldn't exactly come cheap.

If we don't resign Hardy, then I think Gettleman will fall back on the "sometimes the answer is already on your roster" thought process first.

#3 BravuraRed

BravuraRed

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:29 PM

A WHOLE PIE!

I think the real replacements are already on our roster. Addison, Horton, and Alexander have all looked really good with the opportunities they have gotten.

#4 RoaringRiot

RoaringRiot

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,680 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:32 PM

I think the real replacements are already on our roster. Addison, Horton, and Alexander have all looked really good with the opportunities they have gotten.

This

#5 El Chingon

El Chingon

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:33 PM

This guy is gonna get a huge contract from someone. He's only 27 and is a good pass rusher. 

#6 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:35 PM

If we're going to spend big money on a DE, I'd rather spend it on the guy who has already produced in our defense.  This guy wouldn't exactly come cheap.

If we don't resign Hardy, then I think Gettleman will fall back on the "sometimes the answer is already on your roster" thought process first.

We've already spent big money on a DE - Charles Johnson. He may be the highest paid at his position. The thing that's bugging me is the no compensation if he walks. It pissed me off about Peppers, too. I know it's harder than it probably seems to trade a guy like Greg in this limbo situation.I just don't know how the team would fill all the holes if they gave Hardy a huge contract. They still need to resign Mitchell and Ted Ginn (just to name a few). 

Yeah, like I said Gettleman and RR hopefully have a clear grasp on how these other guys are developing. Especially Alexander. But this is a "franchise decision" here they've got to make with Hardy. Gettleman said he's a piece of the puzzle but whatever decision they make...they better be sure it's the right one. 

#7 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:38 PM

This guy is gonna get a huge contract from someone. He's only 27 and is a good pass rusher. 

Right..I think we all can agree with this. I think the franchise tag number is around $12 million. Most of the FA rankings I've seen has him in the top 2-3 available. 

#8 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:39 PM

maybe...maybe not. If Hardy leaves...DE immediately becomes a need. 

#9 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,960 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:41 PM

maybe...maybe not. If Hardy leaves...DE immediately becomes a need. 

Not sure if I would call it a "need" with the guys on the roster.  More like an area that would be nice to upgrade...but need is used for OT, WR, and CB.

#10 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:44 PM

Not sure if I would call it a "need" with the guys on the roster.  More like an area that would be nice to upgrade...but need is used for OT, WR, and CB.

If Hardy walks and they don't bring anyone in as a FA - they will "NEED" to select a DE with one of their multiple draft choices. Not saying they should use their first round pick on one but it will certainly be an area that needs to be addressed. 

Think about if Hardy walks, and Johnson gets hurt again next year. Are you comfortable with Addison and Alexander starting? DE goes from one of the best in the league to an unproven question mark...and perhaps even a liability. 

#11 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,956 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:46 PM

Michael Johnson is still going to get a pretty big check this offseason.

Unless, he takes a Cliff Avril type of contract there's no way he'll be here in Charlotte.

#12 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:47 PM

Michael Johnson is still going to get a pretty big check this offseason.

Unless, he takes a Cliff Avril type of contract there's no way he'll be here in Charlotte.

Not as big as it could have been and it certainly will be nowhere near what Hardy walks away with. 

#13 Lemory

Lemory

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationRivera's Doghouse

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:47 PM

Our next starting DE wears #97

#14 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,424 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:49 PM

agreed.

i could see us going after an old gettleman guy like justin tuck for cheap, but i think guys that we have on the roster now will step up.

and remember, we still have CJ on the other side as well as some big time beef in the middle of the line who did really well as rookies and should be even better in year two. CJ, KK, and Star will make it easy for whoever lines up in hardy's place. they may not be as good, but they'll be good enough thanks to the guys beside them and behind them.

#15 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,956 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:53 PM

Not as big as it could have been and it certainly will be nowhere near what Hardy walks away with. 

Of course. The problem is we still wont have the money to sign the man. While Hardy will get something close to $14mil, Johnson will probably be looking for something similar to what he got from the franchise tag last season ($11mil). That's still a lot. I would not want to be the one paying that much money to a guy who had to prove that he was worth it last season, and he didnt (3.5sacks).

I rather go cheap with a guy like Willie Young.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com