Photo
- - - - -

You think Hardy saw Michael Bennett's remarks on a "discount"?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#46 neverlosethefeeling

neverlosethefeeling

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,321 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:31 AM

Again some money is guaranteed, but not all. I can sign a deal for 5 years for $35 mill, but get guaranteed only $15 mill. That $15 I will see, I might see the rest of the money on that contract. Compare that to other leagues, I will see all or very close to that $35 mill.

Depends on the contract. Each of our first round picks under the new CBA has a fully guaranteed contract.

#47 jtm

jtm

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:22 AM

NFL players are just like all of us here; they want the best for themselves and their family and this usually means $, but sometimes quality of life is taken into consideration. As a result, you rarely see players take discounts and it is hypocritical for any fan to want or expect a player to do this when they wouldn't for their employer. Yes, the NFL is a business and is one of the largest, most powerful businesses in the world.

Smart players will take less if they fit into a particular scheme or have a relationship with a coach that will help them have a better career. Some guys look at potential endorsements for an area. Make no mistake, it is always about the money.

Guys, Hardy is gone, face it.

#48 coralreefer_1

coralreefer_1

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:33 AM

I think many people who were making the kind of millions we are potentially talking about absolutely would consider a hometown discount to stay where they are loved, known, and comfortable, as opposed to perhaps a million more per season someplace else. Its not really a fair comparison to say anyone here would do such, as noone here is potentially making 5-10 million a year.

With that said...how awesome would it be if Hardy himself popped back up on here to say directly to thje fans that care so much what the deal is, or come back at the statements (which are facts) that his stats were padded by a single game against a crap team. We can dream~

#49 jtm

jtm

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:41 AM

So if Hardy gives us a big discount and signs a long term deal and has a serious injury next year, do you think the same fans won't be calling for him to get cut or resign a lower contract? All of us know the answer to this and this is why our opinion means very little to players.

#50 RoaringRiot

RoaringRiot

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,352 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:50 AM

we need to be able to let go of this idea or at least understand that even if we don't trade hardy for something that the team will still be benefitting from letting him walk as opposed to signing him to some big contract.

if we let him walk we'll be having enough cap space to help keep a more important player or two and some money to improve in other areas, plus we'll be getting a comp. pick. sure, it's basically an early 4th rounder, but still if that's all that we can pull off then we have to be fine with it.

we can't force anyone to trade with us. we can't force hardy to agree to go to a place that wants to trade with us. if we do want to get more than what i listed above, we can't afford to be too greedy and we will have to accept that we may have to settle for something that may be far less than what we think he's worth...and that means maybe an actual second or third round pick.

is he worth a couple first rounders? sure...but no one is going to pay that for him.

Thank you for this. I got ripped for suggesting the whole "tag and trade" wasn't going to be as simple as people kept putting it. This summarizes it very well.

#51 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,652 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:58 AM

Thank you for this. I got ripped for suggesting the whole "tag and trade" wasn't going to be as simple as people kept putting it. This summarizes it very well.

yep. people throw that optiin around like it's something that happens all the time or it's just an esy no brainer thing to do, but it doesnt happen very often at all, in fact I've asked people to list the number of times that teams have used that option in the past 5 or even 10 years. teams may have wanted to use it, but it's juat not that attractive an option.

it's not something to expect, nor is it something to bitch about the team not pulling off if/when they don't. 

#52 Fan01

Fan01

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:15 AM

I thought the title of this thread read, "You think Hardy saw Michael Bennetts remarks on a "dinosaur"?

I was very disappointed when I found out my mistake.  I really wanted to know what he said about a dinosaur and how Hardy responded.

#53 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,537 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:51 AM

Depends on the contract. Each of our first round picks under the new CBA has a fully guaranteed contract.

the key in that is our first rounders got fully guaranteed contracts, but not every 1st rounder did. Dion Jordan, and Mingo for example have offset language saying their contract is not fully guaranteed. but after those rookie deals, they will never get a fully guaranteed contract.

#54 neverlosethefeeling

neverlosethefeeling

• HUDDLER
  • 3,321 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:04 AM

the key in that is our first rounders got fully guaranteed contracts, but not every 1st rounder did. Dion Jordan, and Mingo for example have offset language saying their contract is not fully guaranteed. but after those rookie deals, they will never get a fully guaranteed contract.

Correct. The OP I replied to said there were no guaranteed contracts in the NFL. It may be just a matter of semantics, but I don't think that's true. I would say that just because there are very few fully guaranteed contracts doesn't mean there are no other guarantees. Because there are, as you've stated, and most players have them built in.

#55 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,173 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:12 AM

I guess there is the possibility that his market rate isn't quite as high as he thinks and we get him for $9-10M instead of $12-15. I sort of doubt it but it is entirely possible that teams realize he was boosted by the other players around him.

#56 thomas96

thomas96

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:16 AM

Also, in the real world, very good people donate their times and services to help the greater good of the community. NFL players can do the same thing.

#57 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,537 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:16 AM

Correct. The OP I replied to said there were no guaranteed contracts in the NFL. It may be just a matter of semantics, but I don't think that's true. I would say that just because there are very few fully guaranteed contracts doesn't mean there are no other guarantees. Because there are, as you've stated, and most players have them built in.

those guaranteed contracts are only guaranteed because the are not as high as they used to be, but name a player getting a guaranteed contract after reaching free agency? thats what i  was refering to, since the discussion was about Bennett and Hardy. Sam Bradford got a guaranteed $50 mill, compare that to Cams guarantee $22 mill, now ask yourself, which one would a Owner want to pay.

i guess i should have said there are no guaranteed contracts for guys who have been in the league, looking for their next contract.

#58 thomas96

thomas96

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:17 AM

I guess there is the possibility that his market rate isn't quite as high as he thinks and we get him for $9-10M instead of $12-15. I sort of doubt it but it is entirely possible that teams realize he was boosted by the other players around him.

And if not, some team will want him so bad they'll give us a 2nd and 4th round pick for him. Raiders please, don't let Tampa get him.

#59 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,021 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:37 AM

Hardy's agent is Drew Rosenhaus, so let's be real... there was never going to be any significant discount. 

#60 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• HUDDLER
  • 9,766 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:37 PM

The dilema here is will we or won't we get any compensation for Hardy? Letting him walk for nothing is ubsurd. It will be like peppers again except Hardy has not expressed or given any indication he wants out. He is the total opposite, he wants in but at his price. Which is fine. I just do not think gettleman will pay him top dollar like Hurney did to CJ. Quite frankly, I said this before, I think CJ was OVER paid. I am not saying he should have settled for peanuts but Hurney swung for the fences. I still think he is over paid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com