Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Brandin Cooks relishes Smitty Comparisons.

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#76 QCkilla

QCkilla

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationQueen City

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:18 PM

If Gettleman likes him enough to draft him, I will be super stoked because I think he's going to be an explosive player. However I don't think that's going to be the case because it's extremely hard to tell if he is talented enough to do it consistently at the next level. I feel like we're going to take a safer pick (that means a bigger receiver).

#77 Evengelion

Evengelion

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:29 PM

So, if it's just the players on the field that matter, why don't we just fire Rivera now and I'll go and be the Panthers' head coach for just $100k a year.  Think we go 12-4 next year?

All I'm saying is when evaluating individual players in such a team oriented game it's better to exclude as many variables, especially those that are not actively on the field. Like the coaches, home field advantage, etc. Coaches and fans don't convert 4th & 26 to some no name WR in a clutch playoff game.

#78 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:37 PM

All I'm saying is when evaluating individual players in such a team oriented game it's better to exclude as many variables, especially those that are not actively on the field. Like the coaches, home field advantage, etc. Coaches and fans don't convert 4th & 26 to some no name WR in a clutch playoff game.

Sorry, I'll continue to draw conclusions and give coaches credit when they continually get production with their X's and O's regardless of who the Jimmy's and Joe's are.  Kind of like Mike Shanahan and RBs.  Doesn't matter who the RB is, he's gonna put up good numbers.

#79 Pantherman

Pantherman

• HUDDLER
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:50 PM

If he is available, and the BPA, why not take him, and let the "Steve Smith type player" learn under Steve Smith?

Then take a bigger receiver later in the draft, or pick up one of the bigger free agent receivers? Steve Smith is only going to be around for 2 or 3 more years. 

I would not be mad if that happened. 

But if he is not the BPA at a position of need (tackle or corner for example) then pass on him.

So your telling me bring him in as a project WR for Smith to teach in other words? Sorry, but it ain't worth wasting a 1st round pick on a WR that will take 2-3 years to get where Steve Smith was back then. Smith was drafted in the 5th round and we got lucky that he turned out to be better then just a punt returner. We need to use our  1st round pick on a tall WR who has good hands and is ready to go day one and not a project. If Cook is there in like round 3. Then that would be good time to take him. At the time we took Smith Moose was our number one and the Moose had height. Something we need in another WR before start going after a guy like Cooks. It ain't worth the risk. We need a day one starter from the 1st round. Just so sick of these projects we spend hight round picks on and don't work out. Projects are for 4th round and beyond. Not 3rd round and below.

#80 Evengelion

Evengelion

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:58 PM

Sorry, I'll continue to draw conclusions and give coaches credit when they continually get production with their X's and O's regardless of who the Jimmy's and Joe's are.  Kind of like Mike Shanahan and RBs.  Doesn't matter who the RB is, he's gonna put up good numbers.

You must then be a horrible baseball or basketball fan. You're taking this X's and O's thing too seriously. No team ever win a superbowl because they had the worse players and never will. Teams don't trade the #1 overall pick for 6th and 7th round picks. Teams compete tooth and nail with other teams in order to put the best players on the field. There is a reason for that. If X's and O's were that important they would make a science of it in order to exclude variables like skills and athleticism. This is sports, man.

#81 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:16 PM

You must then be a horrible baseball or basketball fan. You're taking this X's and O's thing too seriously. No team ever win a superbowl because they had the worse players and never will. Teams don't trade the #1 overall pick for 6th and 7th round picks. Teams compete tooth and nail with other teams in order to put the best players on the field. There is a reason for that. If X's and O's were that important they would make a science of it in order to exclude variables like skills and athleticism. This is sports, man.

I don't even know how to respond to this post.  There's too much dumb to wade through.

#82 sharkkiller

sharkkiller

Inconceivable

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,499 posts
  • LocationSanto Domingo

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

So your telling me bring him in as a project WR for Smith to teach in other words? Sorry, but it ain't worth wasting a 1st round pick on a WR that will take 2-3 years to get where Steve Smith was back then. Smith was drafted in the 5th round and we got lucky that he turned out to be better then just a punt returner. We need to use our  1st round pick on a tall WR who has good hands and is ready to go day one and not a project. If Cook is there in like round 3. Then that would be good time to take him. At the time we took Smith Moose was our number one and the Moose had height. Something we need in another WR before start going after a guy like Cooks. It ain't worth the risk. We need a day one starter from the 1st round. Just so sick of these projects we spend hight round picks on and don't work out. Projects are for 4th round and beyond. Not 3rd round and below.

So you missed the part about BPA, then I guess. 

I stand by the fact that if he is the BPA at 28, I would not be upset with the pick. 

There is nothing saying he would not be an impact palyer his rookie season. 

To sum up, I did not say he was a project, I said that he could learn from Steve Smith, just like any other receiver we bring in. 

#83 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,732 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:16 AM

Da fug are you talking 'bout?  No one, and I mean no one, in any scouting report or remarks that I have read has referenced Cooks as a project. To the contrary.  The main knock on him is his size. People also have mentioned the the fact that he has run limited routes, but have to admit that he runs good routes.  Of course in today's climate, for some odd reason people act like a WR has to be big to be effective, never mind the fact that there are many effective smaller receivers in the NFL, including Super Bowl champions. Some people also assume that Cooks is going to have to run a lightning fast 40 to compensate for his size because of limited thinking by those doing the picking ( BTW, G-man doesn't strike me as a limited thinker) which may turn out to be true, but at the end of the day someone may end up getting a steal, as Cooks obviously knows how to produce at exactly the size he is.  Cooks  appears pro-ready, has great hands, is explosive, and starts and stops on a dime better than any player many of these guys have ever seen. Plus, he's never missed a game on any level. Does that sound like a project? 

You want to know who the biggest project is this year? The second tallest receiver coming out: Kevin Benjamin.  Another "project" (who I would love to get) is 6'6" Brandon Coleman.  But, in reality these guys, much like Devin Street, aren't as pro-ready as Cooks, and not necessarily as explosive in the open field.

#84 Udogg

Udogg

Cardiac Victim since 95

• HUDDLER
  • 3,479 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:16 AM

We need a receiver that is like Brandon Lafell and Ted Ginn rolled into one.  We need height, strength, ball catching in traffic and ability to stretch the field. I have never been a height trumps everything type of guy.  However Cam throws the ball high.  Why not get a player who can go get those passes.  I'm still on the Jordan Mathews bandwagon personally.

#85 Razeyfingers

Razeyfingers

• HUDDLER
  • 3,654 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:51 PM

The most forgotten thing I know of when listening to you guys is this: These are boys that will become men. Their bodies will change when they enter the NFL. Smitty wasnt stiffing arming lb's as a rookie.

That being said, Cooks lacks in top speed and vert compared to 89. That's probably not going to change much. His feet and balance are top tier though. My view of Cooks is not that he can be another Smitty, but he could be Welker.

#86 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

__YOU CAN'T FIRE ME!__

• HUDDLER
  • 18,219 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:42 AM

2 of 4 Mocks on NFL.com have Cooks to us at 28.

And then there's Davis still with a RB at 28. 

http://www.nfl.com/d...014/mock-drafts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com