Photo
- - - - -

Roman Harper, Jabari Greer, Jonathan Vilma, Will Smith all cut! Saints cleaning house with the vets

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#31 PantherPhann89

PantherPhann89

CPP "Carolina Panther Phann"

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:07 PM

Wow, never saw that coming. 

#32 intangiblejohnny

intangiblejohnny

The Josh McRoberts of Posting

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts
  • LocationInterwebz

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:08 PM

The saints will have a lot more cuts coming up.

#33 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationCharleston SC

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:08 PM

Agree,  Dave Gettleman is not interested in any of these old-ass players.

I think DG would be open to signing anyone that can help us win and would take a one year deal.  He's already said we got two years before were out of the financial hole we put ourselves in. All DG is trying to do in the meantime is keep a winning team on the field. Until that time we're looking for anyone that can make our team better and willing to accept a modest deal.  That may come in the form of vets who have a little left in the tank but aren't going to get any long term offers.

#34 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationCharleston SC

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:12 PM

Vilma has really been on he decline the last couple of seasons and his rankings show that. Also, he's a firm MLB. That's what he's always played. I doubt he could transition at this point.

Besides, no reason the sign a player like him when we have Klein in house who is younger and knows our defense and won't cost as much.

Agreed that Klein is a promising young LB.  Not a big Blackburn fan though, he's too stiff.  We probably would have had a better defensive performance against the 49ers if Klein would have been the starter considering he played great against them in our first match up.  

If Kuechly went down....we could still win with Vilma.  That's all I'm thinking about.

#35 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,964 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:14 PM

Agreed that Klein is a promising young LB.  Not a big Blackburn fan though, he's too stiff.  We probably would have had a better defensive performance against the 49ers if Klein would have been the starter considering he played great against them in our first match up.  

If Kuechly went down....we could still win with Vilma.  That's all I'm thinking about.

I'll bring Vilma in and sit his ass on the bench for the whole season just so he can tell me all the information I need to know about Sean Payton.

#36 BeasonBeastingBacks

BeasonBeastingBacks

Farewell Sweet Prince

• HUDDLER
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

Seriously wouldn't mind seeing if we could land Vilma on the cheap to replace Blackburn.

Vilma's done for, he wouldn't be any better than what we have now.

#37 El Chingon

El Chingon

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:18 PM

I think DG would be open to signing anyone that can help us win and would take a one year deal.  He's already said we got two years before were out of the financial hole we put ourselves in. All DG's is trying to in the meantime is keep a winning team on the field. Until that time we're looking for anyone that can make our team better and willing to accept a modest deal.  That may come in the form of vets who have a little left in the tank but aren't going to get any long term offers.

Will Smith is coming off a major injury and does not fit our defensive scheme.

Jabari Greer is 32 and coming off a very serious leg injury.

Roman Harper can NOT cover and Vilma sucks.

#38 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• HUDDLER
  • 5,159 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:18 PM

I really don't think guys like Smitty would be open to bringing in players from a defense that used to put bounties on his head. 

#39 Dollar Store Dave

Dollar Store Dave

Formerly Know As Ruff

• HUDDLER
  • 7,208 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:20 PM

Agreed that Klein is a promising young LB. Not a big Blackburn fan though, he's too stiff. We probably would have had a better defensive performance against the 49ers if Klein would have been the starter considering he played great against them in our first match up.

If Kuechly went down....we could still win with Vilma. That's all I'm thinking about.

Well, you said specifically that we should sign Vilma to replace Blackburn, but Blackburn's replacement is Klein.

I still wouldn't sign Vilma to be a backup to Kuechly. Connor could fill in nicely, and is younger and cheaper. I honestly don't think anyone is going to sign Vilma, until at least after training camp or after the first week of the regular season, if at all.

#40 El Chingon

El Chingon

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:27 PM

I'll bring Vilma in and sit his ass on the bench for the whole season just so he can tell me all the information I need to know about Sean Payton.

We are not going to do this.

#41 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationCharleston SC

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:29 PM

Will Smith is coming off a major injury and does not fit our defensive scheme.

Jabari Greer is 32 and coming off a very serious leg injury.

Roman Harper can NOT cover and Vilma sucks.

If he comes cheap and hes sucks just cut him....what's the big deal?

Note:  I'm not talking about signing all these dudes.  Just Vilma.  He's decent depth, and who knows....he may be able to pull a rabbit out of ass for a game or two if we need him.   

If he would sign for the vet min....there's virtually no risk in giving him a shot. 

Better to know....then just think you know......you know?

#42 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,964 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:30 PM

We are not going to do this.

nah duh.

#43 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationCharleston SC

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:31 PM

Well, you said specifically that we should sign Vilma to replace Blackburn, but Blackburn's replacement is Klein.

I still wouldn't sign Vilma to be a backup to Kuechly. Connor could fill in nicely, and is younger and cheaper. I honestly don't think anyone is going to sign Vilma, until at least after training camp or after the first week of the regular season, if at all.

If Blackburn were to go we would need another LB right?   You're right though Klein should start next year.....but Blackburn got blackburned every time he was in the game.   I'd rather have a Vilma behind Klein the Blackburn.

#44 Dollar Store Dave

Dollar Store Dave

Formerly Know As Ruff

• HUDDLER
  • 7,208 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:36 PM

If Blackburn were to go we would need another LB right? You're right though Klein should start next year.....but Blackburn got blackburned every time he was in the game. I'd rather have a Vilma behind Klein the Blackburn.

Again, at this point, they're the same player. We have Blackburn already. Why sign someone else?

Sure, if Blackburn were to go, we would need someone else. But Vilma isn't an upgrade.and signing him could disrupt the chemistry of the team (I'm sure Smitty would take exception to it).

#45 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,036 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:48 PM

I hear the Raiders want Smith as depth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com