87 replies to this topic

#16 Cracka McNasty

Cracka McNasty

WWNPHD?

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:20 AM

I get that part but again he's going to want a signing bonus and we would be responsible for any signing bonus if he was traded which makes no sense on our end.

If this was such a plausible idea then somebody could cite examples of it happening in the past.

If we franchise tag hardy and trade him away, then he becomes someone else's problem entirely. We take no cap hit, they take on his franchise tag money, and they renegotiate to a deal they find suitable, then they are responsible for ALL of that new contract, we are on the hook for nothing. It's a pipe dream, and oh so glorious, it's just not very likely. 

unless you are talking about giving him an actual contract and not the franchise tag, then, yes, we would be responsible for some of the money if we were to then trade him away. 

#17 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,549 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:28 AM

Hardy would have to agree to that contract. It's not like he would get traded into a long term deal just because the team interested in completing the trade with the Panthers had a deal they thought was sufficient.

I really, really don't think there's going to be a tag and trade. Rayzor's post on an earlier thread articulated it very well.

he would, but i am pretty sure the contract being offered will be to his liking since i believe his agent will be apart of that contract talk with the other team.

#18 RoaringRiot

RoaringRiot

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,443 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:28 AM

If we franchise tag hardy and trade him away, then he becomes someone else's problem entirely.

This is incorrect. The Panthers can't just work out a trade with, let's say the Raiders (always a fun example) and then say good luck Hardy and Oakland. Have fun trying to figure that contract out, it's not our problem anymore.

#19 RoaringRiot

RoaringRiot

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,443 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:30 AM

he would, but i am pretty sure the contract being offered will be to his liking since i believe his agent will be apart of that contract talk with the other team.

My concern is that it's a pretty big gamble to franchise a player if your only intention is to trade them. If you can't orchestrate that trade then you're stuck with the franchise cap hit and have now handcuffed your team.

I'm with Jangler....I'm not informed enough on all of the ways it could work. I would, however, make a nice hefty wager that there is no tag and trade for the Kraken.

#20 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,660 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:32 AM

the 2 first round picks are negotiable for a team.  I really think the raiders would be candidates because frankly their stupid.  They need a DE and I am sure Carolina would accept a 1st and 2nd from them or hell make them take Jstew. :)

#21 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,604 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:35 AM

the 2 first round picks are negotiable for a team.  I really think the raiders would be candidates because frankly their stupid.  They need a DE and I am sure Carolina would accept a 1st and 2nd from them or hell make them take Jstew. :)

would hardy agree to go to the raiders?

#22 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,549 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:36 AM

My concern is that it's a pretty big gamble to franchise a player if your only intention is to trade them. If you can't orchestrate that trade then you're stuck with the franchise cap hit and have now handcuffed your team.

I'm with Jangler....I'm not informed enough on all of the ways it could work. I would, however, make a nice hefty wager that there is no tag and trade for the Kraken.

it is a gamble, but i think its one worth it. it almost happened last year but fell threw because of the compensation between the teams.

#23 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,549 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:37 AM

if they pay him.yeah.

#24 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,067 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:40 AM

I dont get why so many think teams will be willing to take the tag and trade anyway.

"Please let us relieve your cap hit while we also give you our first and second rounder."

Perhaps this Bleacher Report analysis will explain why someone would do it.  Hardy is not perceived as chopped liver.

BTW, it doesn't necessarily have to be a "first and second rounder."

#25 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,660 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:41 AM

u not seen his twitter, hes all about dem benjamens

#26 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,604 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:42 AM

if they pay him.yeah.

i think he wants to get paid and to win. if it's not an ideal situation he's got no incentive to agree to it and we're stuck with his franchise tag in a year that we need as much cap space as possible.

#27 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,388 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:44 AM

please list the number of times it's been done in the past 5 years.

how about last 10 years.

i'll wait.

With out looking it up, Cassel and Allen.

#28 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,604 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:45 AM

u not seen his twitter, hes all about dem benjamens

he can afford to be choosy. tagging him with the expectation of trading him puts us at his mercy.

#29 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,549 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:48 AM

i think he wants to get paid and to win. if it's not an ideal situation he's got no incentive to agree to it and we're stuck with his franchise tag in a year that we need as much cap space as possible.

his incentive is a huge payday, that he worked his butt off to get. and if the panthers are stuck with the tag, you can still talk about a long term contract or just allow him to play on the tag and make another playoff push. 25 year old big dogs that rush the passer, do not walk away.

#30 coralreefer_1

coralreefer_1

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:49 AM

personally since this board is full of little more than Hardy talk...i will be glad to see him gtfo so we can go back to the usual irrelevent threads we are used to in the off season.

He is a beast, but seriously he wasnt all that (aside from 1 game where he racked up). I think many have such a hard on for him partly for his play, and partly also because he graced this board, and  has a what we might call "unique" personality (hes about crazy, and we like that)

#sickofhearingabouthardy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com