Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eagles might pursue Ginn

57 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

hell no

Sent from my SCH-I545 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

You honestly would rather have a glorified returner who had a decent last season over a guy who was outplaying DeSean Jackson before he got hurt? The goal here is to find true #1/#2 receivers here in the offseason, not keep what we had in our 26th or whatever ranked offense and hope our lesser WR's develop.  Don't get me wrong I like Ginn, I hope he signs cheap with us and continues to get better but get real, 80% of the FA Crop at WR is better than him at this point in time and I wouldn't hesitate to replace him.  Especially if he is asking for money he doesn't deserve.

Posted · Report post

Maclin could be an incredibly valuable asset for us.  We can get him cheapish since he didn't have great QB play when he was healthy and was splitting targets w/ Jackson so his numbers aren't off the charts.

Posted · Report post

With Maclin, you have to account for the fact that he's spent nearly his entire career in a West Coast type system.

How well does he do in a Coryell style attack like what we run?

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I don't understand what we're doing. Why aren't we at least, in negotiations with our free agents, or at a minimum, have touched base with them to let them know our intent. Unless of course, we don't even know yet...

Posted · Report post

Still evaluating would be my guess.

There's still about three weeks to go, so we're not right up against the deadline.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

With Maclin, you have to account for the fact that he's spent nearly his entire career in a West Coast type system.

How well does he do in a Coryell style attack like what we run?

A lot of people confuse the two systems because they are quite similar actually, the West Coast offense tends to stretch the field more horizontally though and utilizes a lot more quick short routes and screens. Maclin did play in a spread offense when he was in Missouri though and both the our system and the spread use the receivers more vertically route wise (both go for the home run more often than west coast) so I don't doubt for a second he would have trouble understanding our offense after an offseason/preseason with it.

Posted · Report post

A lot of people confuse the two systems because they are quite similar actually, the West Coast offense tends to stretch the field more horizontally though and utilizes a lot more quick short routes and screens. Maclin did play in a spread offense when he was in Missouri though and both the our system and the spread use the receivers more vertically route wise (both go for the home run more often than west coast) so I don't doubt for a second he would have trouble understanding our offense after an offseason/preseason with it.

Gotta say I kinda want somebody bigger and more physical.

That's not to say Maclin is bad. He just isn't necessarily what I'd like to see.

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Eagles beat writer Jimmy Kempski breaks down some of the free agents that the Eagles cod target this offseason and one player could end up making Kelly’s offense even more outstanding — Ted Ginn Jr.

Beat writer speculating.  Not sure that is anything to worry about.

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Still evaluating would be my guess.

There's still about three weeks to go, so we're not right up against the deadline.

we also have the combine to go through. maybe they want to see what's available in the draft before they start doling out money.

Posted · Report post

Beat writer speculating. Not sure that is anything to worry about.

yep.

i could say that the panthers could go after golden tate and have it based on as much as this beat reporter.

that's what they all do at this point. that's all there is for then to do until FA starts.

Posted · Report post

My only knock on Ginn was his alligator arms. He came up short or dropped a few could-be TDs this year but other than that, he was solid.  I'd hate to lose him and his ability to stretch the field/return ability. 

Posted · Report post

It'd be a huge plus to bring Ted Ginn back.  He's an explosive return man and he brought a deep and explosive element to the passing game.  If they re-signed Ginn, drafted a WR in the 2nd or 3rd round to develop to eventually replace Smith, we'd be in great shape.  Though I think it's way more likely Ginn walks and they re-sign Hixon for cheap and he just takes Ginn's role at returner and #3 receiver.