Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Picks traded away in the Hurney era

55 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

wow. Impressive research.

Posted · Report post

The question was when we last kept all our picks.

Based on what I found, under Marty Hurney, we never stood pat, though technically the 2002, 2004 and 2007 trades were all 'trade downs' that netted extra picks.  Closest we came to just picking our slate was 2006 when only one pick was traded away.  The 2008 draft was the one where Hurney really started getting on the wrong side of his transactions.

In the 2001 draft, the last before Hurney became GM, we kept all our picks and got an extra 7th rounder from the Eagles in exchange for TE Luther Broughton.

Of course, Hurney wasn't the only one to trade away picks.  Dom Capers infamously traded our 1st rounders from 1999 and 2000 for DT Sean Gilbert. And while Gilbert wasn't awful, he certainly wasn't worth two 1st rounders.

4 people like this

Posted · Report post

yeah good stuff, a lot of those trades look like a push (equally bad for everyone).

That Armanti trade surely is at the top of the list of ones we'd like to have back, but the Pats even wasted the pick. I think that Ras-I dude is out of the NFL altogether. 

Posted · Report post

Pie for the effort. Good job. Probably took you awhile.

Posted · Report post

Doesn't look too bad from that research...

Posted · Report post

Pie for the effort. Good job. Probably took you awhile.

Didn't take as long as you might think.

Perused the draft and trade history pages on Panthers.com and looked up the draft records for the traded picks.

Doesn't look too bad from that research...

Pre-2008, you could argue we were breaking even.

From 2008 forward though... :(

Posted · Report post

We stand pat last season minus a third and Playoffs...

Hurney tried to outsmart the room each year and only made himself look foolish with all this dealing.. He clearly has a gambling problem.

No matter the distance from the draft...that Armanti Edwards trade is beyond awful..

At least Otah, Everette Brown, had some value pre draft...Armanti was just going to be a project to get him to AT BEST..an avg WR.

After Armanti's combine it was clear he was an outstanding athlete..at QB. Ifhe ran a 4.2 id understand it but when the move happened I thought we were getting a great player..But it was Aramanti..I facepalmed.

Although not a trade I think division 3 talent Amini over all SEC LT Cordy Glenn will haunt us if Gross retires and we do no get a LT in this draft.

Posted · Report post

We stand pat last season minus a third and Playoffs...

Hurney tried to outsmart the room each year and only made himself look foolish with all this dealing.. He clearly has a gambling problem.

Last season was Gettleman, but the picks we didn't have were traded by Hurney.

Hurney absolutely loved to trade.  Gettleman?  Not so much.

Posted · Report post

Not sure what happened to put all the slashes in the thread title.  Don't think I did that :unsure:

Edit: Fixed.

Posted · Report post

Gettleman traded Beason for a pick, does anyone know what round that ended up being?