Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mr. Scot

Picks traded away in the Hurney era

55 posts in this topic

It's really when he started trading future picks that he got in trouble. Generally moving up and down in a single year isn't terrible (unless you're Mike Ditka).

I think it's there's some standard pick equivalency chart NFL teams use for trading in one year. When trading away future picks though, I guess teams discount for the future and uncertainty (not knowing exactly when the pick will be).

As many needs as we have, its too bad we can't find another GM dumb enough to take one of our picks this year for a future earlier pick.

His mentor in the GM biz (legendary GM Bobby Beathard) was known for doing that late in his career.

Nice work. Reading each year's trades, one word kept popping up in my head: stop.

Jesus Hurney, just stop. Let it be.

Nice work. Reading each year's trades, one word kept popping up in my head: stop.

Jesus Hurney, just stop. Let it be.

Actually thought about posting trades from year one on, but decided to stick with only the Hurney era.

There are some humdingers in the early years too, though.  For as bad as some of Hurney's trades came out, the Gilbert trade is still arguably the worst transaction in team history.

all anyone needs to gather from this is that Hurney traded UP to get not only ArFarty Edwards, he also traded up to get Eric fugging Norwood out of the slappy ass program that is USC... fuggin overrated ass program.

Yeah I was really disappointed in Eric Norwood thinkng he could be the next TD *sigh*. He was in the Heisman race for some time during his senior year but never even sniffed the NFL. 

I think he's in the CFL now.

If I'm reading this correctly, Jeff Otah really, really fuged us big time. In fact, as unpopular as it may be, Stewart fuged us almost as bad, perhaps worse. We traded away valuable picks for an injury prone RT that amounted to nothing, and an injury prone RB that outside of one thousand yard season has amounted to nothing and whose albatross contract is helping to make sure we can't retain Greg Hardy or do much FA shopping.

Damn that years first round set us back something awful.

Yeah I was really disappointed in Eric Norwood thinkng he could be the next TD *sigh*. He was in the Heisman race for some time during his senior year but never even sniffed the NFL. 

I think he's in the CFL now.

Ya wanna feel even worse?

Norwood was drafted #124 overall (4th round).

Nine picks later at 133, the Seahawks drafted Kam Chancellor.

If I'm reading this correctly, Jeff Otah really, really fuged us big time. In fact, as unpopular as it may be, Stewart fuged us almost as bad, perhaps worse. We traded away valuable picks for an injury probe RT that amounted to nothing, and an injury prone RB that outside of one thousand yard season has amounted to nothing and whose albatross contract is helping to make sure we can't retain Greg Hardy or do much FA shopping.

Damn that years first round set us back something awful.

Players that were available at the time of the #28 pick we traded to Philly (which they traded to Buffalo)

- WR Hakeem Nicks (29 to the Giants)

- WR Kenny Britt (30 to the Titans)

- DT Ziggy Hood (32 to the Steelers)

- S Louis Delmas (33 to the Lions)

- LB James Laurinitis (35 to the Rams)

Side Note: That same year we traded up to 43 to take Everette Brown.  Mike Mitchell was taken four picks later by Oakland.  Other players taken later that round included G Andy Levitre (Bills, 51) RB LeSean McCoy (Eagles, 53) and T Phil Loadholt (Vikings, 54).

Watching Hurney negotiate a trade was like watching someone get raped by a rusty fishing knife

1 person likes this

nicely done.

thank sweet jesus we didn't trade out of that number one pick.