Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Picks traded away in the Hurney era

55 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm hoping Frank Alexander is something special for us, because I hate not having that 3rd when we could have got Terrance Williams or Keenan Allen I believe.

To be honest, I don't think any of those trades were crippling.  I can't fault Hurney too much on Otah.  Otah WAS a beast, and if he kept playing like he did his rookie year it would have been worth it.   Not sure they could have known what was going to happen to him, but maybe.   Everette Brown trade was stupid as well as, obviously Armanti though.  

Posted

Seeing some of the picks the other teams got with pur original picks makes me sad

Posted

yeah good stuff, a lot of those trades look like a push (equally bad for everyone).

That Armanti trade surely is at the top of the list of ones we'd like to have back, but the Pats even wasted the pick. I think that Ras-I dude is out of the NFL altogether.

Still in the league, I'll have to check but he's on a roster in Madden. Backup for the backup but he's on a team.

Posted

If I'm reading this correctly, Jeff Otah really, really fuged us big time. In fact, as unpopular as it may be, Stewart fuged us almost as bad, perhaps worse. We traded away valuable picks for an injury prone RT that amounted to nothing, and an injury prone RB that outside of one thousand yard season has amounted to nothing and whose albatross contract is helping to make sure we can't retain Greg Hardy or do much FA shopping.

Damn that years first round set us back something awful.

otah and ste were both huge parts of the division title and bye in 08. We cannot pin the Jake breakdown on them so short term it was a good deal that set us up for a shot at a deep playoff run.

And if you draft a rookie and he plays well, was it really a bad pick if he later goes down with injuries (unless there is a history of it)?

Posted

yeah flags fly forever is more a baseball thing but I think it still stands for the Panthers. Carolina probably doesn't win the south in 2008 if Stewart and Otah aren't on the team. 

Posted

yeah flags fly forever is more a baseball thing but I think it still stands for the Panthers. Carolina probably doesn't win the south in 2008 if Stewart and Otah aren't on the team.

Except we could have had Otah and Forte or Otah and Rice or Otah and Charles AND a forth rounder AND a 1st round pick the next year.

And that's not 20/20 hindsight. It was glaringly obvious at the time how deep the draft was in RB's that year.

1 person likes this

Posted

all anyone needs to gather from this is that Hurney traded UP to get not only ArFarty Edwards, he also traded up to get Eric fugging Norwood out of the slappy ass program that is USC... fuggin overrated ass program.

Someone is salty. Clemson or UNC fan?

Posted

If I'm reading this correctly, Jeff Otah really, really fuged us big time. In fact, as unpopular as it may be, Stewart fuged us almost as bad, perhaps worse. We traded away valuable picks for an injury prone RT that amounted to nothing, and an injury prone RB that outside of one thousand yard season has amounted to nothing and whose albatross contract is helping to make sure we can't retain Greg Hardy or do much FA shopping.

Damn that years first round set us back something awful.

We didn't trade to get Stewart, we picked him with our pick.

Posted

fug you Hurney

Posted

Great research Mr. Scot!

When looking at what folks got from our trades, I didn't feel terrible.  You try to take the guys you think will help your team, and while they may look like a great player in college, they sometimes just don't pan out.  It's the game of football really.

Now some complain "oh we missed So-and-So, a future All Pro" like Asante Samuels or Kam Chancelor.  The fact is, you win some, you lose some.  There are reasons guys slide, like Hardy did.  Heck, Melvin White and Robert Lester went undrafted and played very well for us as rookies.  How many day 3 picks made those kind of impacts in 2013?  It's the nature of the draft.  If only we could get the all pro list from the future and cheat the draft...  Like you can do in football sims.  Yes, I did do that...I just wanted to win baby...

Posted

Wow Iupati AND Revis taken with should be Carolina picks

Sent from my SGH-T399 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Posted

Hurneys trades would not have been so bad if he were not so bad at scouting players. His desire to draft LBs and RBs got us in a lot of trouble.

1 person likes this