54 replies to this topic

#46 d-dave

d-dave

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:49 AM

Great research Mr. Scot!

When looking at what folks got from our trades, I didn't feel terrible.  You try to take the guys you think will help your team, and while they may look like a great player in college, they sometimes just don't pan out.  It's the game of football really.

Now some complain "oh we missed So-and-So, a future All Pro" like Asante Samuels or Kam Chancelor.  The fact is, you win some, you lose some.  There are reasons guys slide, like Hardy did.  Heck, Melvin White and Robert Lester went undrafted and played very well for us as rookies.  How many day 3 picks made those kind of impacts in 2013?  It's the nature of the draft.  If only we could get the all pro list from the future and cheat the draft...  Like you can do in football sims.  Yes, I did do that...I just wanted to win baby...

#47 MichaelNewtonII

MichaelNewtonII

Kelvin Benjamin OROY

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts
  • LocationESPN Studios

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:29 AM

Wow Iupati AND Revis taken with should be Carolina picks

Sent from my SGH-T399 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#48 Snake

Snake

Im on the Gus Bus

• HUDDLER
  • 12,236 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:30 AM

Hurneys trades would not have been so bad if he were not so bad at scouting players. His desire to draft LBs and RBs got us in a lot of trouble.

#49 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,742 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:00 AM

Hurney absolutely loved to trade.  Gettleman?  Not so much.

I believe that Gettleman keeps an open mind about the big picture. I don't think that he wouldn't trade up/down a few spots if he deemed it would bring large dividends without breaking the bank.  Last year was not only his first year as the head man, but also a year where our picks were relatively scant which possibly lead to him being extra conservative and practical.  We'll see with the coming draft(s).  Each draft is its own chess game. 

#50 Gucci Mane

Gucci Mane

Trap God

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts
  • LocationKitchen

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:50 AM

Someone is salty. Clemson or UNC fan?

Nope just hate how people think they are an elite program

#51 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 10,235 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:47 PM

in my opinion, 2002-2007 those trades seem pretty solid.  easy to say after-the-fact the 2008-2010 didnt work out as much with the exception of Hardy of course.

#52 jayflip

jayflip

vaya con dios

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,917 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:41 AM

That 2005 list of picks we got via the trades gave me insta-loose bowel movements.

#53 EMSMedic79

EMSMedic79

Member since 2005

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts
  • LocationOn the Water

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:59 AM

Gettleman traded Beason for a pick, does anyone know what round that ended up being?

7th.

#54 updownsigma

updownsigma

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • LocationDurham

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:36 PM

Trading for Olsen was one of the few decent trades Hurney made, but people never really credit him for it.

#55 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,343 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:33 AM

Trading for Olsen was one of the few decent trades Hurney made, but people never really credit him for it.

I do.

Hurney wasn't good enough to be a long term GM for this team, but that doesn't mean everything he did was wrong. He did a fair share of good here, even if he ultimately wasn't the right man for the job.

I am, however, happy to say that at least based on what we've seen so far, our current general manager IS the right man for the job,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com