Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Schefter: 2014 cap rising 5% to 130 million (extra 7 million for us to spend)

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#31 Pantherman

Pantherman

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:11 AM

Well, there's the 15 sacks but I understand that doesn't tell the full story. 

I think Hardy is a better athlete than CJ and more of a pure pass rusher... CJ does it with raw power. 

It's also important to consider Hardy spends most of his time lined up at RE, so he's typically facing the best pass protector. 

Let's put it this way. Both of them are good. It might hurt some if DG decided to use the extra 7 mill and kill some of the dead cap by releasing Stewart and extending Cam long term. Just letting Hardy walk. I think we would do just fine without him if we let him walk. The money can be best used in other areas we have need in.

#32 OneBadCat

OneBadCat

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:12 AM

Well, there's the 15 sacks but I understand that doesn't tell the full story. 

I think Hardy is a better athlete than CJ and more of a pure pass rusher... CJ does it with raw power. 

It's also important to consider Hardy spends most of his time lined up at RE, so he's typically facing the best pass protector. 

Another thing to consider is that as much as I love CJ he may become an injury prone player. Shoulder problems seem to be a theme with him and that leg whip took him down a notch for almost half the season. I say this believing that CJ is the better player right now, but he doesn't strike me as the healthiest player. Probably because he goes so hard and is more a strength player.

#33 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,588 posts

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=GXE_n2q08Yw

#34 Evengelion

Evengelion

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Nah bro. You was right to begin with. I didn't read it good enough. It was 7 mill.

It's all good!

#35 Phil

Phil

• HUDDLER
  • 2,423 posts
  • LocationNC

I'll withold my excitement until i hear something from a legit source. i don't really trust schefter or espn.

it will be great if they aren't, once again, slinging poo to see if it sticks.

it's on nfl.com now.

http://www.nfl.com/n...-to-about-130-m

#36 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• HUDDLER
  • 4,745 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:15 AM

This offseason just got even more interesting.

I feel like the Hardy decision was "easy" to make unless we found extra money lying around. Welp, there's our extra money.

#37 Pantherman

Pantherman

• HUDDLER
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:18 AM

it's on nfl.com now.

Oh yea buddy. Party like it is 2003 all over again. :cam:

#38 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,937 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:19 AM

it's on nfl.com now.

ok....i believe it now.

Happydance2.gif

#39 TylerVagyler

TylerVagyler

• HUDDLER
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:22 AM

The franchise tag number will go up along with the cap

#40 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,937 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:24 AM

I feel like the Hardy decision was "easy" to make unless we found extra money lying around. Welp, there's our extra money.

unless hardy and rosenhaus really decide to play hardball and demand more of that money that fell into our laps.

[/buzzkill]

#41 Pantherman

Pantherman

• HUDDLER
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:24 AM

Yea, but it comes down to it. Does DG really want give Hardy the the amount money he will probably will give Cam in the near future. If Hardy gets 6 year 80 million and Cam will most likely get 5-6 100 million. We are paying QB type money to Hardy. I even think we over paid CJ when we resigned him. I just don't see DG taking the future of this team and giving one guy a boat load of cash. We invest nearly 80 million Hardy and then a 100+ in Cam. Those 2 alone would eat up about half of the cap up just alone. We have to many issues to address. Either tag and trade Hardy or let him walk. Let Alexander,Addison, Horton fight for the starting spot. We have to many needs that need to be addressed right now.

#42 Pantherman

Pantherman

• HUDDLER
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:30 AM

Another thing to consider is that as much as I love CJ he may become an injury prone player. Shoulder problems seem to be a theme with him and that leg whip took him down a notch for almost half the season. I say this believing that CJ is the better player right now, but he doesn't strike me as the healthiest player. Probably because he goes so hard and is more a strength player.

Have I missed something? I never seen CJ miss games with a shoulder problem. I might be wrong. I know he had some off season surgery and all. But he has never missed no time because of it. The only time has missed was because of the leg whip. Besides that CJ has always played hardly missed any time. So I don't see where CJ is injury prone.

#43 AvatarBlock

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:33 AM

That means 31 other teams have 7 more mil to spend.

Tag becomes more of a possibility though.

#44 Pantherman

Pantherman

• HUDDLER
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:35 AM

The franchise tag number will go up along with the cap

How is that? I don't think the price of the franchise tag has anything do with the cap going up. Hardy would get paid what the avg. salary was of the top 5 DEs last year. It doesn't increase just because the cap goes up. But it really doesn't really matter. Either we will tag and try to trade him. If it doesn't work then we remove the tag and let  him walk. That or we sign him to full contract. Now that we have the extra 7 mill. We now have room to finally give a long term contract to him without hurting the cap. That is if DG decides us the extra 7 million on him.

#45 neverlosethefeeling

neverlosethefeeling

• HUDDLER
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:43 AM

How is that? I don't think the price of the franchise tag has anything do with the cap going up. Hardy would get paid what the avg. salary was of the top 5 DEs last year. It doesn't increase just because the cap goes up. But it really doesn't really matter. Either we will tag and try to trade him. If it doesn't work then we remove the tag and let  him walk. That or we sign him to full contract. Now that we have the extra 7 mill. We now have room to finally give a long term contract to him without hurting the cap. That is if DG decides us the extra 7 million on him.

Yes it can.

1.  The formula has changed.

Under prior labor deals, the non-exclusive franchise tag was determined by calculating the average of the five highest-paid players at each position from the prior year.  Under the 2011 CBA, the franchise tenders come from a more complex procedure.

Under Article 10, Section 2 of the CBA, the number is based on the five-year average cap percentage for the tag at each position.

So it’s no longer driven by what players at the same position made in the prior season, but by the average cap percentage consumed by the franchise tender over five years.  Then, that percentage will be applied to the 2013 salary cap to determine the franchise tender at each position.

Assuming percentages remain the same--and they will--an increase in cap means an increase in tag value.

Source: http://profootballta...-franchise-tag/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.