Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Don't Expect a Discount From Hakeem Nicks... He Just Signed with Roc Nation as His Representation

47 posts in this topic

Posted

I wasn't really expecting one anyway.

Yeah I agree w/ this. I was hoping for them to maybe get him at the trade deadline and see how he fit in with Cam and everybody before offering him a contract. He's going to get a big $$$ this offseason and it won't be from the Panthers. A lot of people on this board (not you) don't want the guy just because they hate UNC. 

Fred Davis was another guy I wanted them to take a look at the trade deadline, but now, I'm glad they didn't. It looks like he has a drug problem and who knows how long his suspension will last. 

Posted

His discount will be put into place by something called "market forces."

Maybe Oakland overpays with their heaps of cap room, but I can't see anyone paying top dollar for 0 TD's.

2 people like this

Posted

GM Dave Gettleman > Drew Rosenhaus > Roc Nation

1 person likes this

Posted

I don't understand the statement made by the poster. Just because you sign with roc nation doesnt mean anything. Nicks is still free to accept what he wants. Fact is he hasn't had a thousand yard season since his rookie year. He isn't going to demand the money he thinks and roc nation is scraping the bottom of the barrel after missing out on several of this years to draft talents.

3 people like this

Posted

they can only accept what someone offers them

yeah, this won't matter.

jayz's impact is overrated.

he's not going to magically make nicks better. he's not magically going to make the market better. slapping a jayz sticker on him isn't going to make him more expensive.

he's going to get what he's going to get regardless of who represents him. this won't make him much more money. all this stands to do is possibly make him hold out longer for a better deal which will more than likely backfire because those who act quickest in the FA market makes more money....unless they plan on staying with their original team.

this is nothing more than an ego stroke for nicks. there won't be any additional compensation.

Posted

My assumption is no, Jay-Z and the hype around his representation won't demand more, but my point is, he's less likely to sign somewhere for reasons other than money, and we don't have a lot of that to give out, so odds are, he'll look elsewhere.

I really want us to try to sign him, but I don't think he'll be interested for what we're gonna offer.

Posted

My assumption is no, Jay-Z and the hype around his representation won't demand more, but my point is, he's less likely to sign somewhere for reasons other than money, and we don't have a lot of that to give out, so odds are, he'll look elsewhere.

I really want us to try to sign him, but I don't think he'll be interested for what we're gonna offer.

i don't think that he'd get more here than anywhere else.

the market just isn't player friendly. the added cap will help some, but when you take into account his lack of production last year as well as the reports of him slacking off last year and heading into the season, as well as the level of competition among FA WRs being incredibly comparable to him and the quality depth of this WR draft class, i don't see this being a year that WRs bank that much.

aside from the first WR or two who sign and those couple who re-sign with their teams, there just isn't going to be much money going to WRs or really anyone this year.

1 person likes this

Posted

Don't see how this changes anything...

Still want him. This is the perfect place for him to get his career back on track.

2 people like this

Posted

i don't think that he'd get more here than anywhere else.

the market just isn't player friendly. the added cap will help some, but when you take into account his lack of production last year as well as the reports of him slacking off last year and heading into the season, as well as the level of competition among FA WRs being incredibly comparable to him and the quality depth of this WR draft class, i don't see this being a year that WRs bank that much.

aside from the first WR or two who sign and those couple who re-sign with their teams, there just isn't going to be much money going to WRs or really anyone this year.

Agreed,plus he has had some injuries.There are several good receivers to pick from.

1 person likes this

Posted

His discount will be put into place by something called "market forces."

Maybe Oakland overpays with their heaps of cap room, but I can't see anyone paying top dollar for 0 TD's.

It's no so much the goose egg in TDs (as everyone's production was down), but the injury history.  

Posted

I think the "discount" will come in the form of his poor performance last year combined with the rumors about the fines he got for being late and skipping rehab sessions. If this enables us to get him at a reasonable price we have to hope that playing for his successful hometown team will provide him with the motivation he seems to need to get his career back on track. 

2 people like this

Posted

yeah, this won't matter.

jayz's impact is overrated.

he's not going to magically make nicks better. he's not magically going to make the market better. slapping a jayz sticker on him isn't going to make him more expensive.

he's going to get what he's going to get regardless of who represents him. this won't make him much more money. all this stands to do is possibly make him hold out longer for a better deal which will more than likely backfire because those who act quickest in the FA market makes more money....unless they plan on staying with their original team.

this is nothing more than an ego stroke for nicks. there won't be any additional compensation.

For all we know, Jay-Z and Co. will be totally in over their heads against the sharks in NFL front offices... has Jay-Z hired anyone that has significant experience negotiating player contracts in the NFL? 

1 person likes this