Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OnlyPantherFaninMaine

The Official NFL Combine Thread

802 posts in this topic

How do you figure? What rankings are you looking at?

He has the size, production, the strength, and as evidenced by today...the speed. 

A combination of rankings. 

CBS sports/Sports Xchange

Drafttek 

and a few others. 

Again yoy can't teach 6'5 240. With any type of speed he is a match up problem against any team.

If he can't run routes or catch the ball consistently he's really not. How did being big and having 4.5 speed work for Brandon LaFell?

Agree.

Guys like Moncrief and Coleman are not lit up like Watkins becauseof the the lack of production this year, but that's comes down to offensive scheme and qb play, the two mentioned didn't have good qb play but stil had good seasons, Coleman Especially as he's stil a junior, Either of those guys would be steals in the second round for the panthers but there not first round #28 picks.

Exactly. I was hoping Moncrief would run a 4.5 so we'd have a shot at him in the 2nd or 3rd round (as a project -- not a fan of bodycatching) but that 40 time just boosted his stock in my opinion. He'll be long gone by the time we pick. Same thing with Coleman. He won't go in the later rounds anymore. Brandon moved up a round or two.

The concern was is Matthews fast. That's literally the only concern. His production is better than everyone's, his route running is well above the curve for a college prospect, and he came from a smart school.

He proved today that he's fast and can catch with his hands. He is going to fly up boards, wait and see.

Actually his frame is lean. He also doesn't do well on contested balls, (it's a big time weakness for him) His catching wasn't a weakness, sometimes you have to catch the ball with your body. It's if you do it when you don't need to and leads to drops is when it becomes questionable. He didn't have that problem. His biggest problem is his ability to battle for jump balls and high throws.

Even further then that, there's some prospect's that rated above him going into this that improved their stock moving them into the late first range. He is a early second rounder at best, still has a middle 2nd round grade on him after watching him because of his jump ball skills. 

There will not be a first round graded OT at #28 I can assure you of that, koumandijo maybe stil rated fifth best tackle in this draft group but no way in hell I'm investing a first round pick on a guy with bad knees and a sluggish attitude, same for Richardson(knees).

The more you look at the combine so far a tackle with our pick isn't going to happen in the first unless some crazy scenario happens, and with the receiver position and tackle position being deep through four rounds the difference in quality isn't huge so this now leaves the first four rounds very open to interpret which way we will go! We certainly won't be picking by need so it will be very interesting and not as clear cut as some think.

1 person likes this

So pass up a potential #1 WR for the next 10-12 years to get a second tier OT? No thanks. Take the best player on the board and profit just like we did when we took a LB in 2012.

I don't think you would be passing up potential 1 either.

I think you have a few guys who can develop into number 1's in this draft. Plus you have to factor in Cam showed this year he can make Wr (Ginn) look better then they really are.

I'm not against drafting a wr in the 1st round so let's make that clear. I still want Kelvin Benjamin and he isn't making it out of the 1st. But I'm telling there are more guys checking the boxes at WR more then any other draft i've seen.

Official 40 times are out for WRs.  Cooks leads the way with a blistering 4.33 40, Moncrief with a 4.4, Jeff Janis 4.42, OBJ 4.43, Watkins 4.43, Jalen Saunders, 4.44

Smith was a #1 WR for 10 years and he's smaller than Cooks. Smith has 1 season left most likely, time to get his replacement. [/quote

True, but he didn't have giant Cam throwing him the ball and height, in my opinion, is a must because of the high window that cam throws in.

I know cooks can go up and get it but it leaves more margin for error if a player has to leave his feet. I don't want our next #1 to have that height disadvantage out the gate.

Actually his frame is lean. He also doesn't do well on contested balls, (it's a big time weakness for him) His catching wasn't a weakness, sometimes you have to catch the ball with your body. It's if you do it when you don't need to and leads to drops is when it becomes questionable. He didn't have that problem. His biggest problem is his ability to battle for jump balls and high throws.

He's lean? Are you crazy? He's 6'3 and weighed in at 217-220.

Also, his ability to catch at the high point is what he's know for. Not questioned.

Strengths: Chiseled frame that was more impressive than higher-profile names also at the Senior Bowl. Size/speed combination along with his hand/eye coordination and body control makes him an attractive prospect, showing the ability to make plays at all levels of the field and do damage after the catch.

Balanced route-runner with a sizeable catching radius. Size allowed him to be moved inside and out in Vandy's offense, allowing the team to find him favorable matchups. Detailed and reliable route-runner. Very good hand-eye coordination to haul in tough passes, including one-handed catches.

I'm assuming you're only seeing what you want to see, not what is on the field in front of you.

Exactly. I was hoping Moncrief would run a 4.5 so we'd have a shot at him in the 2nd or 3rd round (as a project -- not a fan of bodycatching) but that 40 time just boosted his stock in my opinion. He'll be long gone by the time we pick. Same thing with Coleman. He won't go in the later rounds anymore. Brandon moved up a round or two.

Both second round grades id assume now, one or both may be there at #60, I think both are projects but worthy ones and we will recoup more than what we got out of lafell longterm, one interesting thing both guys have better tree route knowledge than Benjamin has, and with similar statures and speeds I'd actually take them over Benjamin now.