Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gettlemen Combine interview

135 posts in this topic

Posted

the panthers have invested with numerous mid picks also.

Just cause thise investmemts haven't worked out, doesn't change the fact.

so since those picks havent worked out, why continue to invest in mid round picks. Adams and Pilares are the same type of WR, and was taken in the 4th and 5th rounds. those teams you listed has several guys taken in the 3rd or higher rounds. while other guys developed, those teams where still investing in the position.

Posted

It's like the talking stain from the Tide commercial is here. "We might not take a WR in the 1st round......"

'BLAAAH......BLAHBLAHBLAH.......BLAAAAAAH........BLAH.......BLAHBLAH!!!!'

Posted

so since those picks havent worked out, why continue to invest in mid round picks. Adams and Pilares are the same type of WR, and was taken in the 4th and 5th rounds. those teams you listed has several guys taken in the 3rd or higher rounds. while other guys developed, those teams where still investing in the position.

So because one general manager who was for the majority of his time in charge a poor evaluater and made bad picks and choices in the mid rounds of drafts, we shouldn't do that anymore under a new general manager who actually has a scouting and player evaluation background?

How does that even make sense?, you usually get three starters maybe four if your lucky with your first four picks and the other three are mainly to develop and use as depth, gurneys philosophy should by no means alter what we do, because one guy is bad at making choices doesn't mean the next guy in will be too.

Posted

So because one general manager who was for the majority of his time in charge a poor evaluater and made bad picks and choices in the mid rounds of drafts, we shouldn't do that anymore under a new general manager who actually has a scouting and player evaluation background?

How does that even make sense?, you usually get three starters maybe four if your lucky with your first four picks and the other three are mainly to develop and use as depth, gurneys philosophy should by no means alter what we do, because one guy is bad at making choices doesn't mean the next guy in will be too.

no i was meaning that you should not invest mid rounders at one position such as WR, if you cannot scout them properly. the old GM brought in several starters in the mid to late round, and  that is where your GM separates himself from the others. as much flack Hurney got, he also brought in CJ, Hardy, Schwartz, and others that have started for this team and others who were mid round- late picks.

Posted

no i was meaning that you should not invest mid rounders at one position such as WR, if you cannot scout them properly. the old GM brought in several starters in the mid to late round, and that is where your GM separates himself from the others. as much flack Hurney got, he also brought in CJ, Hardy, Schwartz, and others that have started for this team and others who were mid round- late picks.

I think klein proved you can find starters in the draft later rounds but they are few and far between, looking back at some of hurneys moves it does make you wonder how he even got the job.

Posted

but I will wait and see before I fully trust.

What has DG done to earn your distrust?

Posted

you invest in the positions that are BPA, regarless of round. I don't believe there will be a receiver in the first round that will be BPA. would be foolish to over look other great players that are available.

II'm confifent Gman will go after a few receivers.

Don't reach just to be different.

Posted

that is not even close to the point.It has to do with BPA and some smug draft snobs thinking that is the golden road map to draft nirvana.then saying need is not a factor when it is impossible not to be a factor.

No one's going to say that need isn't a factor at all. BPA vs drafting for need isn't a black or white affair, it's a sliding scale. I agree with the guy above me that needs are a factor, but they're a tie-breaker, and you shouldn't reach for need. Most of the time, there will be a couple of players left on the board with similar grades and one of those will be a position of (moderate_ need. You also have to keep in mind that needs can be patched up through free agency.

Posted

Cam Newton is the only player G-Dawg publicly commits to.

Lol

Posted

Cool stuff from what I've heard.

Committed to Cam long term.

Kept the Smitty door open, however I don't think SS is his call at all.

Going BPA.

Knows what he has in Gross.

Posted

Updated thoughts on what Gettleman had to say.

http://billvoth.com/12-meaningful-quotes-dave-gettlemans-combine-press-conference/

Highlights of the article

On Gross coming back or not. 

Most are assuming he’ll be back. Don’t assume that anymore. I’m hearing retirement is very much on his mind

Why drafting an OT in the first isn't a sure thing.

Gettleman’s a staunch believer in both of these things: 1) you win with big guys, 2) you draft the best player available. When both philosophies crash into each other, like they often do during a draft, Gettleman will choose the latter.

On Steve Smith’s future with the Panthers

What it may mean: This may end up being the most important nugget from Gettleman, one that seemed to slip past most today. Like Gross, many are just assuming Smith will be back. Unlike Gross, Smith is still under contract. I’ve heard whispers about this one for a few weeks and it’s time fans start preparing themselves for what may happen. Gettleman isn’t afraid to pull the trigger on tough decisions and this one could shake the fan base. Standby.

So based on what BIll Voth is saying, is that there have been some rumblings that the front office is talking about cutting Smith. 

1 person likes this

Posted

No way DG would cut Smith.