Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,908 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:05 PM

just my .02...

i think he's quite aware that he only really has one WR under contract heading into next year. i think he'll try to address that in FA, just like all other needs. 

going into the draft he's not going to avoid WR and he's not going to favor OL or CB over WR or anything else. he's gonna go BPA, just like he said. it's a very strong class of OTs, CBs, and WRs and there are some very good TEs in the draft as well. chances are that im the first four rounds there will be plenty of options of each and there may very well be a WR when we pick. we could double dip at OT or at WR. it all depends on who is there at the top of the list when we pick. heading into the draft and limiting our options to just one or even two positions would be a mistake. 

as far as him not doing anything because "the answer is on the roster" at WR  isn't going to happen because, well, all there is is smith. he'll bring in more talent. i feel good at our chances of getting a really good WR or two in the draft are good. we'll get our upgrade on the OL and cam will get a new weapon or two because it's obvious to everyone that we need that (and even gettleman said that).

at OT i'd look at the really big OTs, and at WR i'd look at WRs who already runs good routes, has good hands, and a diverse route tree. at TE i'd look fore guys who are more of the traditional inline blocker who juat happens to be a good receiver. at CB i'd look at guys who were fast and aggressive and keeps their head in a swivel (size might not matter) who coyld be considered a tweener CB/S and who have done some blitzing. at DE i'd look for guys who, like hardy, can be plugged anywhere along the DL so they'd be bigger guys pushing 285-295 lbs.

i also wouldn't be surprised to see us draft another RB, but it would probably be one who is really good catching balls out of the backfield.

All good points, Rayz.

But what in tarnation is a hoochie screen? :blink:

#50 XClown1986

XClown1986

I'm Rick Grimes, Bitch

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:20 PM

It sounds like to me they are preparing to ask Smitty to take a paycut or be ready to move on.

#51 mjligon

mjligon

@mleezy53

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,185 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:20 PM

It sounds like to me they are preparing to ask Smitty to take a paycut or be ready to move on.

:(

#52 XClown1986

XClown1986

I'm Rick Grimes, Bitch

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:24 PM

:(

I feel ya. I hope it all gets worked out. I know Smitty wants to play and I know he wants to play here. *Fingers crossed*

#53 mjligon

mjligon

@mleezy53

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,185 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:26 PM

I feel ya. I hope it all gets worked out. I know Smitty wants to play and I know he wants to play here. *Fingers crossed*

I kind of get that impression too...it's just depressing to think Smittys days as a Panther are numbered. Hopefully everything is worked out for the better of the team.

#54 Evengelion

Evengelion

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:49 PM

Dave Gettleman said Panthers aren't going to 'panic' over the WR position. Believes in some of the younger players on the roster.

This enough tells me he's aware the WR position is lacking on this team.

#55 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,276 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:08 PM

I'm not worried. Dave knows what he's doing. I definitely see our glaring weaknesses improving this season.

#56 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,654 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:27 PM

And the answer is never on your fuging roster. Thinking it is, is the reason 12-4 teams go 7-9 the next year.

yeah. Cause the packers, saints, and broncos built their wr core from all high draft picks....right?

Lol

#57 FattyFatFat

FattyFatFat

Buddhist Monk

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts
  • LocationMint Hill

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:27 PM

Get ready for double dip OL.

#58 IamSoClutch

IamSoClutch

CaptainCam

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts
  • LocationKinston, NC

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:37 PM

He smokescreening so a wide reciever drops to us

#59 Catalyst

Catalyst

• HUDDLER
  • 4,107 posts
  • LocationMorehead City

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:43 PM

What is a Hootchie screen ?

Sounds like some archaic kind of birth control to me.

#60 Frizzy350

Frizzy350

• HUDDLER
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:44 PM

And the answer is never on your fuging roster. Thinking it is, is the reason 12-4 teams go 7-9 the next year.

It can be when your front office is run by an actual NFL talent evaluator and not, you know, a sportswriter.

It was kind of funny having Hurney, because we would always get great grades from the media for drafting and always had some big name stars on the roster, but we couldn't hold onto winning seasons because we had no depth and the majority of our draft picks were spent on media hyped guys that fell because most quality talent evaluators didn't think they had enough to make an impact.

It was refreshing last year's draft to have all those WTF picks (TWO DTs!? A late round linebacker and RB!? UGH!) and aside from Barner and Kugbila (who could be quite good for all we know) we got great value out of all our picks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com