- - - - -

If Smitty is "evaluated" and not on this team next yearn

• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_Dark Knight_*

Guest_Dark Knight_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:48 PM

Smitty is my favorite player but if I were the GM I'd tell him, not ask, to take a large pay cut. If he refuses I'd cut him & sign Nicks. He's not worth his cap hit. He's the greatest to ever wear the black & blue & he's one of the team leaders but he's pretty average now.

If Jerry Rice can be shown the door & replaced so can #89.

All good things come to an end.

**runs for the Canadian border**

#17 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,267 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:48 PM

There's also what Rivera said earlier today about Smith's future that's added to the mess.

NFL.com makes it sound like he was asked to restructure and said no and the Panthers don't want to give him his option bonus. 

http://www.nfl.com/n...ign=Twitter_atl

"It's all about the evaluations," Rivera echoed to Around The League on Friday. "We got to look through everything, there's a lot of scenarios that we're putting together as a football team."

Asked if there was a scenario in which Smith wouldn't be a Panther, Rivera said: "Not quite sure. Again, we are in a process right now that we're getting ready to evaluate the college football players. When we get back into town, we'll sit down and start talking about what has to happen when we start getting ready for free agency."

It's apparent that Carolina's "evaluation" process has less to do with Smith's on-field play and much more about the 34-year-old pass-catcher's willingness to accept a pay cut. Stay tuned.

Still very vague. You can spin those comments different ways. We'll find out soon enough.

#18 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• HUDDLER
  • 11,367 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:49 PM

Please link us to this information if you can.

http://t.co/J1acNCn3R0

Says that Gross is seriously considering retiring and there's a good chance he won't be back.

Also talks about how Fans need to get ready for Smith not being on the team because he's heard whispers about them cutting him the last few weeks and this weekend. 

#19 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,530 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:49 PM

If you read the Bill Voth piece from earlier today, there's been rumblings from the front office that they were talking about cutting him.

link?

#20 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,458 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:50 PM

Everyone is being "evaluated". Everyone.

#21 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 46,998 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:51 PM

We still haven't replaced Moose and here we are on the verge of having to replace Smith....SMDH!

#22 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• HUDDLER
  • 11,367 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:52 PM

When asked on Twitter to this question Bill responded 

Good stuff from @billvoth re: Panthers offseason. Not to freak everyone out, but could @89SteveSmith be cap casualty? http://ow.ly/tQCSb 

With this

Bill Voth ‏@billvoth  2h

@Matt_McKenzie1 as he’s long said, everyone is day to day.

and this

@jakespotter as 89 says, everyone is day to day

#23 Gabeking

Gabeking

• HUDDLER
  • 3,317 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:52 PM

Can't wait to see all the batshit crazy reactions once smith gets cut

#24 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• HUDDLER
  • 11,367 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:54 PM

Everyone is being "evaluated". Everyone.

Exactly and while I love Smith and he's definitely the greatest Panther ever, he's just not worth his contract the next three seasons or his option bonus. If he is willing to take a pay cut, Fantastic! If not the team might not have any other option but to cut him. 

#25 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 46,998 posts

Can't wait to see all the batshit crazy reactions once smith gets cut

#26 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,267 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Says that Gross is seriously considering retiring and there's a good chance he won't be back.

Also talks about how Fans need to get ready for Smith not being on the team because he's heard whispers about them cutting him the last few weeks and this weekend. 

Yeah the Gross retirement thing is definitely a concern.

As for the whispers, weren't these same people a year ago claiming that we were on the verge of hiring Brandon Beane as GM?

#27 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,530 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:55 PM

Outright cut?
That's making a pretty big assumption.

Not that Smith's current production can't be replaced.

I think to many are reading to much into what Gman said.

#28 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 6,967 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:58 PM

I think that the key part of the Sessler write-up is:

It's apparent that Carolina's "evaluation" process has less to do with Smith's on-field play and much more about the 34-year-old pass-catcher's willingness to accept a pay cut. Stay tuned.

#29 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• HUDDLER
  • 11,367 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Yeah the Gross retirement thing is definitely a concern.

As for the whispers, weren't these same people a year ago claiming that we were on the verge of hiring Brandon Beane as GM?

I think the only person giving him a chance was Person and even then it was a slight chance. 

#30 thomas96

thomas96

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts

Smitty is my favorite player but if I were the GM I'd tell him, not ask, to take a large pay cut. If he refuses I'd cut him & sign Nicks. He's not worth his cap hit. He's the greatest to ever wear the black & blue & he's one of the team leaders but he's pretty average now.

If Jerry Rice can be shown the door & replaced so can #89.

All good things come to an end.

**runs for the Canadian border**

Are you kidding me? That would be a massive spit in the face to just flat out tell him to take a pay cut. He deserves the respect to simply explain the cap situation and ask about a pay cut. If he said no, then we would still need to keep him. I don't care about his on the field production, but his off the field production means more to this team than anybody's in my opinion. Do you remember him yelling to a young special teams player (forget who...) during the Seahawks game when he committed 2 stupid penalties? Do you think Cam would've matured nearly this much without Smith?? Do you think he had absolutely nothing to do with the spark that caused our huge winning streak after starting 1-3?? Smitty is here to stay until he retires, and if not then this team will go downhill, very fast. What do you think Cam would think of us losing Smitty? He's as important to this team as Cam or Kuechly is in my opinion. When he retires that's one thing, but it's not that time yet, and even then he would likely become part of the coaching staff. Smith is the player most deserving of a Super Bowl ring in the league and to just cut him when things are looking bright would be the most ridiculous thing to ever happen to the Panthers. Worse than anything Hurney did. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.