• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#71 MCC

MCC

HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:58 PM

If the Panthers were to cut Smith then Gettleman would be forced to find a number 1 receiver.  That'd be the only good thing to come of it. 

#72 lola

lola

SENIOR HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:00 PM

Heh don't worry about it. The whisperings in bill voths head have no say in the Panthers' roster

I hope you're right.

#73 WOW!!

WOW!!

SENIOR HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:00 PM

I think it goes with out saying, there would have never been whisper's if JR was running the team.

Exactly. This makes me very happy for the future of this team. If Jerry is willing to let Gettelmen cut his favorites.
Then he has truly taken the let "the football guys make football decisions" Mantra.

#74 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• LocationSC
SUPPORTER

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:01 PM

If the Panthers were to cut Smith then Gettleman would be forced to find a number 1 receiver.

If he cuts Steve Smith, I'd say that's a pretty clear sign that he's prepared to do just that.

#75 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

SUPPORTER

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:02 PM

You guys can play the "realist" card if you want but I'll say this right now, Smitty will be a Panther at least 2 more years before he calls it quits on his own accord. Big Cat will make this happen no doubt.

#76 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• LocationCharlotte, NC
HUDDLER

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:03 PM

Smith can't even get 800 yards or 5 TDs as the primary WR on a 12-4 team with a Pro Bowl QB.

He's 34, and it's not just about stats. Steve Smith brings another element to this team. When was the last time you heard about him missing a team meeting? I wouldn't be against bringing in Nicks, but it wouldn't be remotely with replacing a player, and person like Steve Smith in mind.

#77 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• LocationAt the lake
HUDDLER

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:04 PM

It would save the team little this year, but quite a bit next year. 

The issue is next year when his cap hit goes up to 10 million dollars.  I would think that cutting him next year would cost 6 million in dead cap space which is only 2.5 million more than you spend if you cut him this year which cost 5.5 this year and 3.5 next year.  Surly he is worth the 1.5 he costs in cap if you keep him this year and the 2.5 million in dead cap space for cutting him next year over what it will cost anyway if we cut him this year.  4 million seems a reasonable cost for him but it would be far better for Smitty to put some escalators or incentives in the contract and other conditions to be able to retire a Panther. It is up to him.

#78 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

SUPPORTER

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:07 PM

0% chance smitty gets cut and around 1% chance he restructures anything.

Dude is still our only deep threat

#79 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• LocationLexington, NC
SUPPORTER

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:10 PM

The issue is next year when his cap hit goes up to 10 million dollars.  I would think that cutting him next year would cost 6 million in dead cap space which is only 2.5 million more than you spend if you cut him this year which is 3.5.  Surly he is worth the 1.5 you spend in salary if you keep him and the 2.5 million in dead cap space more you incur if you keep him this year and cut him next versus making him a June 1st cut this year.  4 million seems a reasonable cost for him but it would be far better for Smitty to put some escalators or incentives in the contract and other conditions to be able to retire a Panther. It is up to him.

His contract values may change with his option bonus, no way to know how it's set up. Him being cut could save the team more then it appears, it would just depend on if there are any exit clauses due to performance in his option clause. 

Lots of variables here that fans won't know about. If I remember the June 1st cut rules, his cap due for this season would hit immediately and then the rest would hit next season.  If that's the case then it saves the team 4 million this season and next. 

#80 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• LocationWinston-Salem
HUDDLER

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:14 PM

0% chance smitty gets cut and around 1% chance he restructures anything.

Dude is still our only deep threat

Ginn was the best deep threat on the team last season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users