Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Favorite Player After The Combine

76 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Verrett looked good for sure. Projects as a nickel because of his size. Would still start for the panthers, but 2 CB's under 5'10 would get abused.

Posted · Report post

Gilber and Evans, too bad we probably dont have a shot at either.  I will hate if Tampa takes Evans or Ebron

Dont ever count anything out atm. 

Posted · Report post

Verrett looked good for sure. Projects as a nickel because of his size. Would still start for the panthers, but 2 CB's under 5'10 would get abused.

Mayock didnt actually mean to say that Verrett is a nickle corner and cannot play on the outside. What he meant was that since the NFL today is such a heavy passing league with guys like Welker coming off the slot that teams would benefit having Verrett in the nickle covering guys like Welker.

Verrett proved at TCU that he can play on the outside and cover both faster, smaller/bigger receivers. He's no Captain Munnerlyn that could/should only play in the nickel. Verrett can play both press and zone coverage. Can come off the corner on blitz packages, is a ball hawker, and one of the four hardest hitter (Dennard, Roby, Joyner) in this corner class.

I see him as a mix of Asante Samuel, Joe Haden, and Earl Thomas. I'm not saying that he's the product of those three, but that he draws similar traits to the three of them: can bait the QB, solid press/cover guy, and has solid range/hitter.
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

With how tall WR's are getting, I honestly don't look at CB's under 6-1 any more. Also have to have length in the arm's as well. If you're not above that height I wouldn't look at you in the first 2 rounds, after that I'd be willing to draft a nickel back that's under that height. 

The combine didn't really change my mind anyone on the player's I like.

Where the Panther's are picking in the first round I like Moses, Amaro, Cooks and Pryor if he falls inline with his rankings. 

In the second I like Adams, Mewhort, Niklas or SJB. 

In the third I like McGil,Martin, Dozier, Fierdorowicz and Abbrederis

Posted · Report post

With how tall WR's are getting, I honestly don't look at CB's under 6-1 any more. Also have to have length in the arm's as well. If you're not above that height I wouldn't look at you in the first 2 rounds, after that I'd be willing to draft a nickel back that's under that height.

The combine didn't really change my mind anyone on the player's I like.

Where the Panther's are picking in the first round I like Moses, Amaro, Cooks and Pryor if he falls inline with his rankings.

So you rather take McGill or SJB in the 1st over Gilbert, Dennard, Verrett and Roby? Jk

But, I don't believe the hype of this new tall corner back trend. It's been two or three years now and it has only worked for one team: Seattle. People tends to just not realize that it's not about size with Sherman and Browner. Have people ever thought that maybe those two are just actually pretty good?

You can't just draft any tall corner and expect them to be Sherman or Browner. Most of the top corners in the NFL today are 5'10-6 guys.

Posted · Report post

So you rather take McGill or SJB in the 1st over Gilbert, Dennard, Verrett and Roby?

I wouldn't take Dennard, Verrett or Roby. I might take Gilbert late in the first because of his length (he's got the arm length of a much taller player),  I'd still rather wait and take SJB in the second or McGill in the third though. 

It's about training them up, and getting them to be sound fundamentally. I'm not big on 40 time, my important measurements are 3 cone and the shuttles. Then watching drills and seeing how they move and change direction. 

Posted · Report post

GREG ROBINSON

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I wouldn't take Dennard, Verrett or Roby. I might take Gilbert late in the first because of his length (he's got the arm length of a much taller player),  I'd still rather wait and take SJB in the second or McGill in the third though. 

It's about training them up, and getting them to be sound fundamentally. I'm not big on 40 time, my important measurements are 3 cone and the shuttles. Then watching drills and seeing how they move and change direction. 

What? I heavily disagree with you. You might be the first person to say that you would not take Dennard late in the first, and "might" take Gilbert. It would be a steal grabbing either of the two at 28.

Im not big on speed too, but I couldnt help but noticed two productive guys blazing at the combine (Verrett/Roby). I'm big on college production. The combine is fun to watch but it doesnt effect my opinion on the player. Dennard, Gilbert, Roby, and Verrett all had very good college careers. They all helped their stock or solidify themselves as being guys on the top of the list.

If Dennard or Gilbert is there at 28, I would have to take them. I wont pass them up and hope that I can groom a taller, but not as talented later round corner.

Posted · Report post

Greg Robinson- not man guys his size, move the way he does. this guy has the ability to be a truck for who ever drafts him.

Donte Moncrief- explosive. good vertical, good speed, caught the ball well. was a fan of his since last year, but the combine made me like him even more.if he is there at 60, please take him.

Odell Beckham Jr- another explosive athlete. great vertical speed, with 10 in hands. looked smooth in drills, and is competing to become the 3rd WR off the board. im seeing he may be gone before #20 now.

Posted · Report post

I don't know who watched the 2nd group of receivers, but Jeff Janis had the best workout in that group... and yes that includes Sammy Watkins

Janis beat Sammy in the...

-40 yard dash (4.42sec to 4.43sec)

-Bench Press (20 to 16)

-Vertical (37in to 34in)

-3 cone drill (6.64sec to 6.95sec)

-20 second shuttle (3.98sec to 4.34sec)

Sammy beat Janis in the...

-Broad Jump (126in to 123in)

Janis is 6'3, 219

Sammy is 6'1 211

Janis has 32.5 inch arms, & 9 inch hands

Sammy has 32 inch arms & 9 5/8 inch hands

Sammy will be gone in the top 10 picks, while Janis will be available in the 4th round... Needless to say I have my combine crush

Posted · Report post

On Janis, I was also eager to see him as I had heard he was fast.

My question, does he look better suited to be in a west coast offense to you?

Posted · Report post

On Janis, I was also eager to see him as I had heard he was fast.

My question, does he look better suited to be in a west coast offense to you?

He is very quick, so I believe he could excel in a West Coast offense if he works on his route running... On the highlights I watched he ran alot of verticals because he was simply faster than the competition, but I think he could effectively line up anywhere... I do agree that he will be a terror in the short to intermediate passing game, but we have alot of that so I think Prohl could make it work.

• Latest Articles

• Recent Comments