Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve Smith on Gettleman's "Evaluation" comment

480 posts in this topic

Posted

I love Gettleman's approach to running this team. Having said that, he needs to tone down the rhetoric in interviews. I don't think he understands how the media/fans/players might misinterpret his "saying a lot without really saying anything" answers.

Posted

Hopefully it's all a misunderstanding.  I was hoping Gettleman's comment was just a generic answer and there was nothing really to it.

I think this is what it was.  I hope this is what it was.

Regardless of all the Smitty Panther for life stuff (which I agree with btw), wtf would we release him?  Just from a "putting players on the field" standpoint, who the fug would replace him???

2 people like this

Posted

I dont see the issue. I mean, we give Gman props for being a businessman and shooting straight, but at the same time people are acting like he should put that "business" persona aside and say that "89 is beyond evaluation because..well...he is sentimental to the organization"

Like everyone, I love me some SS. With that said, why should his performance not be evaluated like everyone elses?

9 people like this

Posted

Ice up Gettles, Ice up!

I really Hope the Panthers handle Smitty the right way...in a well coordinated agreed upon way.

89 has bled for this team at the highest level we ever seen suit up in Charlotte. We have yet to see anyone with as much passion, dedication and total focus for improving themselves..beating their opponent...and doing it in an entertaining way.

89 is active and visual in the community and other than punching scrubs in the summer camp(his brand to tell you you will suck and soon be cut), Smitty is what every team and organization wishes they had.

Zero drug arrests, Gun violence, Domestic Abuse, zero holdouts, zero days destroying the QB publically and gets on the radio on the regulular to yuck it up with the local raido shows.

My daughter wears 89 on the soccer field bc she loves her some Smitty..bc she is small and explosive in her own right and ices up others on the regular!

Mishandling 89 would taint any of the positive strides this franchise has made. It would sour my love for my favorite team a bit.

4 people like this

Posted

Hate to tell ya guys, but if you don't think Smith getting released is a real possibility, maybe you should ask Jon Beason what he thinks.

I still don't think it will happen, but we have a GM who runs the team like a business now (which frankly, is as it should be) so yes, it definitely could.

The best choice isn't always the easy choice.

^This.

I love Smith as much as anybody but the NFL teams with sustained success know when to make the hard decisions. Our last GM paid guys for past production, so you want our new guy to do the same?

8 people like this

Posted

Said it elsewhere: Everyone loves having a GM with big balls...until he cuts your favorite player.

Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Brett Favre and Peyton Manning all wound up let go from the teams they'd given their best years to.

So yes, much as we'd all hate it, that could happen here as well.

5 people like this

Posted

I doubt this will be a big deal, more like secondhand information getting kicked around. Gettleman's not aware of how Smith's feelings are handled and will likely clear things with a phone call.

It'll work itself out, and if not, then we'll know the mantle has officially been passed to Cam. Which I'm fine with: he's the future.

3 people like this

Posted

I doubt this will be a big deal, more like secondhand information getting kicked around. Gettleman's not aware of how Smith's feelings are handled and will likely clear things with a phone call.

It'll work itself out, and if not, then we'll know the mantle has officially been passed to Cam. Which I'm fine with: he's the future.

This.

Posted

IIRC, all Gettleman said was that he is evaluating EVERY SINGLE PLAYER. 

That is how he is running the ship. It gives every player, the Byron Bells and the Luke Kuechlys, a sense that they must always stay at the top of their game.

Now off the record, he would probably say "WTF you think we would let go of the only guy that has any resemblance of a #1 WR?".

5 people like this

Posted

If G-Man cuts Smitty, I can't hate him. It's a business after all. We've witnessed it. Smitty is declining. That said, if a termination is looming, I do hope Dave gives Steve an opportunity to say goodbye.

Posted

I love Steve Smith, he has given me some of the best Panther memories ever. But I said this yesterday and it rings true today and moving forward...

"Nostalgia has killed this team in the past"

I think Steve plays this year, and I think some of those comments were taken to be more than they really are BUT it wouldn't shock me to learn he was let go/retired. If I had to choose between Smith and G-Man I choose G-Man. Steve is one of the greatest if not the greatest Panthers of all time and he will be remembered that way. But he is not going to be a big part of this team in the years to come and that is what Getts is doing right now. Setting this team up to be successful in the years to come.

Yes we will lose his leadership but its Luke's and Cam's time. At some point guys you have to pass the torch.

3 people like this

Posted

IIRC, all Gettleman said was that he is evaluating EVERY SINGLE PLAYER.

That is how he is running the ship. Now off the record, he would probably say "WTF you think we would let go of the only guy that has any resemblance of a #1 WR?".

Exactly.