Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Steve Smith on Gettleman's "Evaluation" comment

Best Answer XClown1986, 26 February 2014 - 05:49 PM

maybe i need to bold[cole82ee]"im still going to wait for a non- person like source to confirm" [/color]

It was the Beason part that was ill informed. Beason requested the trade, Gettleman didnt get rid of him.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
479 replies to this topic

#166 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,380 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:28 PM

Somehow I get the feeling G-man will decide Smith is still good for this team.

Under a new contract, he would be great for the team. Under his current contract, I don't think there's any chance he stays a Panther. 

#167 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,380 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

well we wont know his future until june 1 or july whichever it is.  but his reaction to a generic comment that DG gives for pretty much everyone and i dont have a problem with, probably throws any renegotiations out the door.

Pretty much, unless Gettleman and Rivera do a good job at smoothing it over. Which is why I think he's done and will retire in the next couple weeks. It'll look forced because of what Gettleman said and that's unfortunate but it's likely to happen now. 

#168 heel31ok

heel31ok

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,553 posts
  • LocationEasley, SC

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

"is he good" isn't the question.

"Is he worth what we're paying him right now" is.

ok somehow i think G-man will decide he is worth it to the team. OK is that better for you. Bottom line Smith stays no matter how you want to slice it.

#169 heel31ok

heel31ok

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,553 posts
  • LocationEasley, SC

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:32 PM

Under a new contract, he would be great for the team. Under his current contract, I don't think there's any chance he stays a Panther. 

that's funny. there is no chance he is not here.next season, NONE!

#170 G()AT

G()AT

The Greatest of All Time

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:34 PM

Smitty IS this fuging team. The ONLY way at this point you let him go is if it's his decision to retire. fug everything about this situation, penny pinching faggotry if you ask me.

I will lose my collective poo (already started if you can't tell) if they in fact don't keep him till HE decides he is done. I may have a lot of free time this coming fall as my Sundays may be fuging cleared up.  Yeah, I said it. I have no interest in seeing him finish his career on another team, or have any interest in supporting this team anytime soon if this is the new fuging mentality. 

#171 heel31ok

heel31ok

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,553 posts
  • LocationEasley, SC

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:34 PM

Pretty much, unless Gettleman and Rivera do a good job at smoothing it over. Which is why I think he's done and will retire in the next couple weeks. It'll look forced because of what Gettleman said and that's unfortunate but it's likely to happen now. 

aren't you the one who said Gross will sign for 2 more years? Doesn't matter. don't see any previous indicator that Smith contemplating retiring.

#172 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,645 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

that's funny. there is no chance he is not here.next season, NONE!

well, that is just a false statement.

Gettlemen may want to do a Gross type deal with 89 or who knows.   89 is now a lone wolf in many aspects....Jake, Kasay, Gross, all his boys are gone.  He probably isn't as invested as we think at this stage.  He may take the pay and a shot at better stats elsewhere (all he is doing now is chasing stats really and hoping he stumbles into a ring)

#173 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,380 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

aren't you the one who said Gross will sign for 2 more years? Doesn't matter. don't see any previous indicator that Smith contemplating retiring.

Ummm, no. I've been saying for a while that Gross was done. He was done when he agreed to restructure his contract last off season. 

#174 heel31ok

heel31ok

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,553 posts
  • LocationEasley, SC

Smitty IS this fuging team. The ONLY way at this point you let him go is if it's his decision to retire. fug everything about this situation, penny pinching faggotry if you ask me.

I will lose my collective poo (already started if you can't tell) if they in fact don't keep him till HE decides he is done. I may have a lot of free time this coming fall as my Sundays may be fuging cleared up.  Yeah, I said it. I have no interest in seeing him finish his career on another team, or have any interest in supporting this team anytime soon if this is the new fuging mentality. 

don't worry this is not the new mentality of the team but the new mentality of the "fans".they think they are all GM's and they smell blood in the water. it started with Hardy and trashing him becuase he wants more money. they think because hurney is gone their football IQ was automatically raised to football genius status.

#175 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,380 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:41 PM

don't worry this is not the new mentality of the team but the new mentality of the "fans".they think they are all GM's and they smell blood in the water. it started with Hardy and trashing him becuase he wants more money. they think because hurney is gone their football IQ was automatically raised to football genius status.

Well Smith seemed to have taken the comments seriously and now Rivera is saying that Smith might not be part of the team depending on what happens in free agency. 

#176 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,635 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:42 PM

keeping smith is more important than making sure you have the cap space to put together a winning team?

sometimes you have to make the tough decision to part from favorite players so the team can go forward. with the salary cap, that's something you alwsys have to be prepared for. we can't cripple/handicap a team just so we can keep a good player. contrary to the way hurney managed the team, sometimes you have to let good players go.

#177 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 9,389 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:45 PM

Smith will play in 2014, you can count on that and it wouldnt surprise me if went down to Tampa to do it just to show us twice a year he has something to offer.  I think he jumped the gun on the comments with his reaction, which is what I would expect due to his fiery nature.  DG is a team guy where he believes no player is bigger than the team, and made pretty much the same comment about 89 as he did about Gross, Hardy and any other player if he were asked - it's an evaluation and process...

#178 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,380 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:46 PM

After seeing reactions to this, all I have to say is that a large portion of Panther fans aren't prepared to deal with a real GM that doesn't have ties to players and treats it as a business. 

#179 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,645 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:46 PM

If you open your mind to the realistic possiblity that Steve Smith won't be the greatest player in the history of our franchise......it makes parting with him easier.

I think that guy is on our roster.  He needs young good blood at Steve's position anyway.

#180 heel31ok

heel31ok

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,553 posts
  • LocationEasley, SC

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:48 PM

Well Smith seemed to have taken the comments seriously and now Rivera is saying that Smith might not be part of the team depending on what happens in free agency. 

there ya go that settles it, he will be here.FA is a joke and would cost more than Smith for less of a player.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com