• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:34 AM

Just saw him post on twitter he's getting ready to go on....can't listen myself but just a heads up to anyone interested

#2 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Post Draught Hangover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,433 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:43 AM

referenced the Jared Allen Tag and trade when discussing Hardy

Said chances low that Smitty is cut

Said No urgency to extend Cam (said Cam will never be cheaper than he is right now but mentioned the Cutler deal and that he and Cam share an agent as why the Panthers may not deal right now)

Hardy looking at Peppers style contract. (14mil per) starting point.

#3 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,256 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:45 AM

Peppers (14 million)?

Nope. Not with The Panthers.

#4 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,455 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:52 AM

Hardy will try and squeeze out big bucks, we will tag him which will make other teams try and negotiate with Gettleman to take less compensation than two 1s.  Gettleman will entertain that or not.  If he sticks to 2  1s then either they give him huge bucks and we get the picks or Hardy won't get another offer and will play for the tag and this all plays out again next year, he accepts what we are offering him, or we find a trade partner and get compensation.  In any event we really hold the cards and we won't have to essentially meet his demands of 14 million.  I think we offer him something in the 10 million range with incentives that could grow the contract to 14 million based on things like getting 20 sacks, making the pro-bowl, All pro status, going to the superbowl, etc.  If he can do all that, he deserves the extra bucks.

#5 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,673 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:08 AM

This year, we pick late and there is not really much to choose from at DE.  Hardy had field days against weak LTs, racking up 15 sacks. I definitely would like to see another season before I paid him nearly $1m per game.

I think the tag, to extend what Panther 55 says, will def. non-exclusive rights so we could entertain offers.  I don't get the feeling the Panthers are in love with GH, but they don't want to get nothing for him.

#6 TN05

TN05

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • LocationConover, North Carolina

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:23 AM

Hardy will try and squeeze out big bucks, we will tag him which will make other teams try and negotiate with Gettleman to take less compensation than two 1s.  Gettleman will entertain that or not.  If he sticks to 2  1s then either they give him huge bucks and we get the picks or Hardy won't get another offer and will play for the tag and this all plays out again next year, he accepts what we are offering him, or we find a trade partner and get compensation.  In any event we really hold the cards and we won't have to essentially meet his demands of 14 million.  I think we offer him something in the 10 million range with incentives that could grow the contract to 14 million based on things like getting 20 sacks, making the pro-bowl, All pro status, going to the superbowl, etc.  If he can do all that, he deserves the extra bucks.

I'd be down with this. I can totally understand why Greg Hardy wants a lot of money - he's played better than Charles Johnson did prior to getting his payday. At the same time, this is a new regime and there were specific reasons we gave him that money (namely, to keep him from going to Atlanta) that simply don't apply here. Give him some money, but make him work for it if he wants the right to more than CJ and be on a winning team.

#7 Soul Rebel

Soul Rebel

Respect the Rivera

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:37 AM

Could we not gain around 9M in cap space by restructuring Smitty down to around 4.5M/yr (net $3M) and cut Godfrey (net $6M) and then the $12M tag wouldn't be as painful. Idk enough about the cap to know how doing this affects 2015, 16, 17, etc. but if we could restructure some folks enough to free up money to tag/sign Kraken yet.....

Still be able to sign a strong LT in FA
Still be able to sign a #1 WR
Still be able to sign Mitchell
Still be able to sign Ginn
Still be able to have enough in the bank long term to sign Cam and Luke

Is this possible? Gettlemagic is earning his keep, for sure.

#8 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,256 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:49 AM

This year, we pick late and there is not really much to choose from at DE. Hardy had field days against weak LTs, racking up 15 sacks. I definitely would like to see another season before I paid him nearly $1m per game.

I think the tag, to extend what Panther 55 says, will def. non-exclusive rights so we could entertain offers. I don't get the feeling the Panthers are in love with GH, but they don't want to get nothing for him.

I disagree with that. Easley (Florida) and Gardner (Stanford) are gonna get picked up late because of injuries and they were having well above average seasons.

#9 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,673 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:51 AM

Is this possible? Gettlemagic is earning his keep, for sure.

I think cleaning up Hurney's mess (remember when he went on that spending spree to re-sign our 2-14 core?) in a manner that lays out tracks for a healthy approach to cap management is going to be essential.

I am interested in watching him handle the Hardy situation, but I am suddenly interested in how he handles Smith.  We have a good WR who would be good in the slot, so we need to keep him, but we need to make his contract reasonable.  After pissing Smitty off, it will be interesting to see how this ends up.

I still feel that we have competent man in charge for the first time since Polian.

#10 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,673 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:56 AM

I disagree with that. Easley (Florida) and McDonald (Stanford) are gonna get picked up late because of injuries and they were having well above average seasons.

I thought Easley projects to a 3 tech, so I have not been looking at him at all.  I have heard that repeated knee (?) issues have some crossing him off the board.  I am not at all familiar with McDonald.  I need to look him up--probably listed as an OLB because he was at Staford.

#11 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,256 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:01 AM

I thought Easley projects to a 3 tech, so I have not been looking at him at all. I have heard that repeated knee (?) issues have some crossing him off the board. I am not at all familiar with McDonald. I need to look him up--probably listed as an OLB because he was at Staford.

My apologies! I meant Gardner. He was considered a second round prospect last year. Had he avoided injury this past season, he would have been a top five DE in this draft.

Easley can play all over the line like Hardy. I do like him inside more but he's pressured QBs from the outside too. So I can definitely see him at LE. The injuries do worry me though.

#12 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,673 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:07 AM

My apologies! I meant Gardner. He was considered a second round prospect last year. Had he avoided injury this past season, he would have been a top five DE in this draft.

Easley can play all over the line like Hardy. I do like him inside more but he's pressured QBs from the outside too. So I can definitely see him at LE. The injuries do worry me though.

When I saw Easley, he was beasting and they (if I am not mistaken) moved him around a lot.  He is at 280, so he is a good option if we part ways with Hardy.  I also liked Will Clarke, the DE from WV who was awesome at the Senior Bowl, as a 4th round option. 

#13 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,256 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:16 AM

When I saw Easley, he was beasting and they (if I am not mistaken) moved him around a lot. He is at 280, so he is a good option if we part ways with Hardy. I also liked Will Clarke, the DE from WV who was awesome at the Senior Bowl, as a 4th round option.

Oh yeah, the guy was on his way to being drafted in the first round by the way he started off the season too. Easley is an animal (high-motor, intense, versatile, violent hands, agile and athletic) and we might be able to pick him at a great value.

Clarke impressed me too. If he's there in fourth, fifth, sixth,... we gotta take him. He appears to have some upside.

#14 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Post Draught Hangover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,433 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:24 AM

Peppers (14 million)?

Nope. Not with The Panthers.

That figure is what Hardy is supposedly going to start with and negotiate from there.

#15 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

• HUDDLER
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:28 AM

This year, we pick late and there is not really much to choose from at DE.  Hardy had field days against weak LTs, racking up 15 sacks. I definitely would like to see another season before I paid him nearly $1m per game.

I think the tag, to extend what Panther 55 says, will def. non-exclusive rights so we could entertain offers.  I don't get the feeling the Panthers are in love with GH, but they don't want to get nothing for him.

all good DEs have field days against weak LTs.

not all DEs have field days against weak LTs.

see what I did there?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.