• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#31 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:55 PM

I agree that Mack is a good player, but there is NO ONE as physically talented as Clowney this year...and it's not close.  

All of that physical talent equated to 3 sacks in COLLEGE this past season.  Pretty much every bust in the history of professional sports had all the physical talent you could ask for.

#32 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,598 posts
  • LocationCharleston SC

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:22 PM

Did I ever say there was another player as gifted? Nope. This has nothing to do with Clowney's ability, we all know he has it. It has everything to do with what is going through his head. Todd Marinovich also had some of the most amazing physical ability that the NFL had ever seen, he was bred and trained to be an NFL QB. How did that work out?

All of the red flags are there for Clowney. Which you probably won't agree to, since you've already since you're a fan of his. Either way, if I was Houston, I would get a QB. Hands down. The NFL is won by having a franchise QB, not a franchise DE.

It's because you didn't say it that I said it.  Thus the point of saying it.

#33 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,191 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:50 PM

All of that physical talent equated to 3 sacks in COLLEGE this past season. Pretty much every bust in the history of professional sports had all the physical talent you could ask for.

Sometimes people post dumb things, and then sometimes people make comments like this which leave a scar on their credibility as a poster because they validate just how simple their knowledge of the sport is

#34 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,598 posts
  • LocationCharleston SC

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:56 PM

All of that physical talent equated to 3 sacks in COLLEGE this past season.  Pretty much every bust in the history of professional sports had all the physical talent you could ask for.

We all know Clowney mailed it in to protect his draft stock.  If he would have been allowed to come out after his sophomore year we're not even having this conversation.   Sorry for not agreeing that he's going to be a bust.  His backside pursuit alone puts him at another level.  Once again you guys throw out the sack number.  Sorry he only got three sacks after being tripled teamed and having no one to take advantage this past year while trying to protect his draft status.  I don't blame him.  He was the primary target of all offensive lineman he played against last year, he had a big X on his chest....I wouldn't want to get hurt either and it cost me 5 million dollars.  

SCAR has a good draft history on defense.  Wish someone would ask Melvin Ingram if Clowney is any good.

#35 thomas96

thomas96

DIZZY

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,805 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:28 PM

It's hard to believe that Houston is going to take Clowney. Bill O'Brien is a very no-nonsense type of guy, and I don't think that Clowney would fit in very well. Besides, if I were Houston, and I wanted someone to compliment JJ Watt, I'd get Mack. Mack is a true Clay Matthews-esque player who could come off the edge and do some serious damage, but also drop back into coverage and play great defense there.

They're going to take Bridgewater. He fits perfectly there and has the attitude/work ethic to win at the NFL level. Browns will take Manziel and continue their mediocrity.

#36 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,849 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:07 PM

They may take Bortles.

#37 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:16 PM

Sometimes people post dumb things, and then sometimes people make comments like this which leave a scar on their credibility as a poster because they validate just how simple their knowledge of the sport is

Enlighten us great one. Try to formulate an argument for Clowney that isn't based on his athleticism. It gets very tough. I watched several SCAR games. He's awful at diagnosing the play. He doesn't have any football instincts. If he can't beat the man in front of him through sheer athleticism, he has no impact on the play.

If he mailed it in this year to preserve his draft status, what do you think he's going to do once he gets paid?

Maybe things will click with the young man and he will become the player he has the potential to become. But based on what I've seen, he's the closest thing to a sure thing bust I've ever seen.

#38 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,191 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:18 PM

Enlighten us great one. Try to formulate an argument for Clowney that isn't based on his athleticism. It gets very tough. I watched several SCAR games. He's awful at diagnosing the play. He doesn't have any football instincts. If he can't beat the man in front of him through sheer athleticism, he has no impact on the play.

If he mailed it in this year to preserve his draft status, what do you think he's going to do once he gets paid?

Maybe things will click with the young man and he will become the player he has the potential to become. But based on what I've seen, he's the closest thing to a sure thing bust I've ever seen.

You can watch as many games as you like. You have made it readily apparent to the rest of us that you don't know what you're watching.

#39 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:29 PM

I love all the pro level talent evaluators in this thread calling people busts. Truth is no one knows how they will play in the nfl when they haven't even gotten there yet

#40 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:55 PM

You can watch as many games as you like. You have made it readily apparent to the rest of us that you don't know what you're watching.

Keep thinking quoting talking heads makes you seem like you know what you're talking about.

#41 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:56 PM

I love all the pro level talent evaluators in this thread calling people busts. Truth is no one knows how they will play in the nfl when they haven't even gotten there yet

Truth. I think the kid is likely to be a bust, but I'm not paid to evaluate talent for a reason. Then again, those who are get it wrong quite often too.

#42 Jesse

Jesse

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:06 PM

None of us are professionals at this, so should we even discuss our opinions when it comes to decisions made by professional coaches, general managers, scouts, mock draft writers, and players?

#43 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:21 PM

None of us are professionals at this, so should we even discuss our opinions when it comes to decisions made by professional coaches, general managers, scouts, mock draft writers, and players?

I'm sorry if I don't want to hear your uninformed opinion on why a kid you've never met and only seen play a handful of times is a bust and the mentality of that player makes him a bust to you. My bad

#44 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:22 PM

I agree. I just expect to see a highly motivated Clowney when he enters the pros. His sophomore year is more indicative of how he projects other then he's faster and stronger now.

I don't think the motivation issues are a realistic problem moving forward for him.

As a Gamecock fan and someone who has watched just about all their games the past 10 years it sucked that he protected himself last year.....but I understand. With the new CBA it's absolutely imperative for a prospect to protect their number 1 status. The difference between what a 1st round guy and a 4th round guy makes his staggering. I don't think it was necessarily lack of motivation or motor. I think it was business.

If he protected himself before he will likely do it again.

#45 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,598 posts
  • LocationCharleston SC

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:00 PM

If he protected himself before he will likely do it again.

I doubt that man.  Under the new cba the second contract is where the money is.  I think he'll come in and play is butt off to earn that second contract.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com