Photo
- - - - -

Why can't we ever have a happy medium when it comes to immigration?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,556 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:41 PM

Something I thought about for a while. Why is it you have to be one extreme or another? You have to choose to let them all in, but then you are "helping terrorists" or you can choose to close up our borders for good, but then you are a "racist". Why can't anyone be somewhere in between?

I believe that we shouldn't close up the borders tight from everyone, but also not let everyone in. I believe that we should make the process of becoming a US citizen a little more easily attainable. Just fix that process and I believe that would take care of a lot of the problem as far as immigration is concerned. So I guess I'm a racist who is helping out terrorism for believing that then.

#2 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • 10,493 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:49 PM

Easier residency yes. Easier citizenship no.

#3 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 17,556 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:52 PM

Easier residency yes. Easier citizenship no.

Can you explain? I don't really understand the residency laws

#4 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • 10,493 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:17 PM

Residency - legally can work, live, conduct business, can enlist in the armed forces (can not be commissioned)
maintains original citizenship. in theory, can not be a burden to the government or taxpayer.

Citizenship- can do everything a natural born 'murican can do. usuallygives up foreign passport for a US passport

#5 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 17,556 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:26 PM

Yea, I can agree with that. Everyone wants to come to the US, so we need to adjust something.

#6 CatofWar

CatofWar

Join, or Die

• HUDDLER
  • 3,362 posts
  • LocationGitmo

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:58 PM

Open borders.

#7 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 5,789 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:22 PM

My mother is a resident alien who has been in the US for close to 50 years..who pays taxes, worked and currently gets social security(which she paid into) and gets my father's pension when he died.

She just never really, for some inexplicable reason learned english and to this day still is unable to speak on the phone to someone in english.

Ironically she watches Wheel of Fortune regularly...it must just be a jumbled blur to her.

So I dont really have a point other than I am not sure what my mom threatens americans with other than to awkwardly understand her broken english in public.

The only difference between her and an american citizen is a test about the consititution and who the founding fathers are..

#8 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • 10,493 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:28 PM

My mother is a resident alien who has been in the US for close to 50 years..who pays taxes, worked and currently gets social security(which she paid into) and gets my father's pension when he died.

She just never really, for some inexplicable reason learned english and to this day still is unable to speak on the phone to someone in english.

Ironically she watches Wheel of Fortune regularly...it must just be a jumbled blur to her.

So I dont really have a point other than I am not sure what my mom threatens americans with other than to awkwardly understand her broken english in public.

The only difference between her and an american citizen is a test about the consititution and who the founding fathers are..

Has she applied for citizenship? 50 years is a long time to be a productive member of society and have no voice (voting wise).

It's not really a test... more like small talk while the officer is checking boxes and scribbling his signature.

#9 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

• HUDDLER
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:58 PM

Has she applied for citizenship? 50 years is a long time to be a productive member of society and have no voice (voting wise).

It's not really a test... more like small talk while the officer is checking boxes and scribbling his signature.

She does not read english..just japanese. But still the question remains she could give a fug about voting so does it still threaten other's freedom?

I'm not excusing her learned helplessness..it is very frustrating when she does not understand something im saying to her. I am the one that has to take care of here finances, healthcare and legal needs so it is very inconvienent for myself at times.

But it is what it is and as one in her 70's now what is the point of her tying to become a citizen when she is one in every way already.

I am just describing a real world resident alien life and not the worst case senario narritives you hear in the news or by mainly the political party that hates those peeps.

#10 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:17 AM

I assume you speak japenesse?

#11 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,344 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:08 AM

She does not read english..just japanese. But still the question remains she could give a fug about voting so does it still threaten other's freedom?

I'm not excusing her learned helplessness..it is very frustrating when she does not understand something im saying to her. I am the one that has to take care of here finances, healthcare and legal needs so it is very inconvienent for myself at times.

But it is what it is and as one in her 70's now what is the point of her tying to become a citizen when she is one in every way already.

I am just describing a real world resident alien life and not the worst case senario narritives you hear in the news or by mainly the political party that hates those peeps.

First thing, the chip on your shoulder might or might not be warranted.  Your mom is exactly the right kind of immigrant this country has always embraced.  I don't think anyone as an issue with her.  The whole conversation here was basically, how do we get folks like her in under the present system and not be able to get flooded with folks that did not come in the right way.

She did not come here illegally or primarily to break the law through and probably did not even have a criminal record.  That is why we have two sides to the argument and why the OP is looking for a compromise.  Your mom embodies the spirit the nation has had for 200 years on immigration.  Nobody fears her.

#12 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

• HUDDLER
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:06 AM

No chip on the shoulder..just explaining what you just described.

However when arguing immigration there are sweeping generalizations and knee-jerk overreactions that could possibly overlap onto resident aliens like herself.

I have heard plenty of arguments about increased restrictions on residen aliens and non citizens.

#13 carpantherfan84

carpantherfan84

Abductive Reasoner

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:26 AM

Since this whole debate is athinly veiled argument against Mexican immigration (not necessarily the OP, BUT THE DEBATE IN GENERAL) let me remind everyone that Native Americans have claim to to the land. Mexicans are native Americans that were INVADED by Spain instead of Britain. Close the order to Europeans, Canadians, etc... Before you do it to them. But interestingly enough, the only place people want to put up a fence is near Mexico.

#14 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,511 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:21 AM

First thing, the chip on your shoulder might or might not be warranted. Your mom is exactly the right kind of immigrant this country has always embraced. I don't think anyone as an issue with her. The whole conversation here was basically, how do we get folks like her in under the present system and not be able to get flooded with folks that did not come in the right way.

She did not come here illegally or primarily to break the law through and probably did not even have a criminal record. That is why we have two sides to the argument and why the OP is looking for a compromise. Your mom embodies the spirit the nation has had for 200 years on immigration. Nobody fears her.

Translation: She's not Hispanic or Muslim.

#15 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

• HUDDLER
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:31 AM

Translation: She's not Hispanic or Muslim.

Asian girls rank very high on "What white people like" lists..just above New Balance tennis shoes I think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.