Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Continuing Education Advice & Career Thread

103 posts in this topic

Posted

Was thinking of going back to school myself...

I've worked since I've been 16, mostly retail/food. Went to CPCC for a year and a half just going through the transfer program thinknng it was the thing to do.

Fast forward now, I'm 25, been a Store Manager for Starbucks for two years now. I was a Sales Supervisor for 3 years before that at Best Buy, and before that was a Assistant Manager for 2 years at Starbucks. My question is, is it worth the time and effort to go back and get a degree? I already for 50 hours a week easily, and during holidays 60+. They offer "tuition support" but need to maintain my job etc. I feel like I'm stuck in the same career path and can't change due to lack of degree or skills in other jobs. Anyone with more experience or situation like mine would be awesome.

Posted

I have 11 years on you and can easily say not going to college and getting a degree is one of my biggest regrets.

They just open so many doors.

1 person likes this

Posted

Become a nurse practitioner like I will be. A BS isn't enough for this stud. Sent from my XT1055 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Posted

I have 11 years on you and can easily say not going to college and getting a degree is one of my biggest regrets.

They just open so many doors.

Have you ran into a situation where you are applying for a job you want or pormotion potential and you felt because of the lack of a degree kept you from it?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Posted

Become a nurse practitioner like I will be. A BS isn't enough for this stud. Sent from my XT1055 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

My wife was a RN with a full ride to Wake for the PA program and came up one semester (clinicals) short due to a complicated pregnancy.

Posted

Have you ran into a situation where you are applying for a job you want or pormotion potential and you felt because of the lack of a degree kept you from it?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Without a doubt, on more than one occasion.

Posted

My wife has been an RN for 10 years now. If you can do a job like that then more power to you. It's an easy field to get into if you have the degree and the money is really good.

My wife makes double my hourly rate. I work 5 days a week and she works the weekends. She makes $20000 more than I do a year. It's not an easy job at all but if you want to make good money in any field you have to bust your ass and this is one of those fields that if you do, you can go far salary wise.

Posted

If you want to make a ton of money in nursing get your BSN and then become a CRNA, Nurse Anesthetist.

3 people like this

Posted

That's true. If I was younger and wanted to be in the medical field I would have been an anesthesiologist. That's where the money is at, although it's very difficult to get in those schools.

Posted

I'm going on information about twenty years old. I was looking to become a programmer way back before there were women on the internet. When asking around trying to focus on what I should take in school I was always told they prefer math degrees over programming degrees. Any truth to that?

And become an Engineer and you can do almost anything you want except heart surgery.

Posted

Not true. But math is a big part to computer science.

Posted

I have a CIS degree and could not find a job after retiring from the Air Force. Decided to follow my lifelong dream if being a teacher and am in my last semester of school. I student teach in the fall and wi graduate I'm December. Will I ever make a lot of money? Nope. But I will be doing something I have always wanted to do! I will be 45 and starting a new career and am scared to death!

4 people like this