• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#91 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,434 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:25 PM

I'm about to pursue computer/digital forensics.

Excellent field to get into.  In fact, anything related to information security is a good career choice right now. Significant demand, and relatively few qualified people.

Edited by Davidson Deac II, 24 May 2014 - 09:27 PM.

#92 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,434 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:36 PM

Here's the thing about certifications.  The IT industry is very young and moves blazing fast.  Getting certified in a particular product means you know how to use a product that will probably be obsolete in 5-10 years.  Understanding the underlying technological need for that product, how it fills that need, what the limitations are, and how it could be better is far far better than simply knowing how to use it.  15 years ago getting certifications was all the rage but the current industry has learned and moved on.  

I split the software industry workers into 2 groups(for the most part) - engineers and technicians.  Engineers are the problem solvers who think creatively and use the best technology for the problem at hand.  The technicians are guys waiting around for the specs so they can crank out the code.  

PylAP8k.jpg

The guy that coded everything and walked out is a technician, the guys on the whiteboard are engineers.  I'll bet he coded it in fuging ruby on rails too(because OMFG RoR is so awesome rapid app development ftw!).  What he doesn't realize is after 6 months, 2 years, 5 years, whatever, he code is probably crashing and burning.  Guys like that are an infection in the industry.  If real world engineering were done like this we would have buildings and bridges popping up left and right but then falling apart shortly after(which is basically what we have now in IT, just only IT people notice it).

Given the context of this thread I should say both types will get paid well - hell the guy cranking out the code will probably be looked upon better by management(aka the clueless) because faster = better right?  But what they don't understand is the $5k they saved in up front costs now costs them $50k annually in maintenance.  I'm not even talking about certifications anymore, sorry. 

Certain certs are still a big deal in IT, at least in the non software writing part of it.  For Networking, the higher level Cisco Certs are very useful.  But they do need to be relatively up to date. And CISSP is a good one to have for information security types. 

#93 Brothergrim427

Brothergrim427

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:58 PM

Is there a rule on the huddle about using the F*** word or S*** ? I'm confused why you all say silly crap like Fug and poo ?

Sent from my iPad using CarolinaHuddle

#94 TNPanther

TNPanther

Jimmie Rustler

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:38 PM

So as I've posted in my own thread about corporate America, I am currently working as a supply chain intern for Parker Hannifin. So far I really enjoy it. I get to maintain relationships with suppliers and I am tasked with implementing a new IT system to improve communication between our suppliers and our buyers. I'm enjoying learning about how to use Kanbans and the ins and outs of the Expandable supply chain software program.

#95 boo7382

boo7382

• HUDDLER
  • 10,483 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:44 AM

Is there a rule on the huddle about using the F*** word or S*** ? I'm confused why you all say silly crap like Fug and poo ?

Sent from my iPad using CarolinaHuddle

Yes, it automatically changes it. you will see that if you try to type it.

I am starting to put out the feelers for a career change. Have some ideas in mind of the industry I would like to get into, definitely want to stay in sales.

Scares the crap out of me to make a change but some things have gone down lately that I am not comfortable with and I think its time I find another opportunity. 

#96 Jimbo

Jimbo

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationBlue Bayou

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:10 AM

I'm a drug dealer.

#97 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,558 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:45 AM

Don't get multiple drug felonies. It makes the job searches infinitely harder, trust me.

On that note, I'm trying to figure out wtf to do with my life. I'm a multiple drug felon with a masters in history and 15 years of restaurant management and construction experience as my two main applicable skills. I make around 35k (ie poo pay) a year right now managing the front end of a restaurant but fug restaurants and the service industry in general.

#98 Jimbo

Jimbo

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationBlue Bayou

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:50 AM

Don't get multiple drug felonies. It makes the job searches infinitely harder, trust me.

On that note, I'm trying to figure out wtf to do with my life. I'm a multiple drug felon with a masters in history and 15 years of restaurant management and construction experience as my two main applicable skills. I make around 35k (ie poo pay) a year right now managing the front end of a restaurant but fug restaurants and the service industry in general.

What are your goals?

#99 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,558 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:59 AM

What are your goals?

To not live week to week.

To not work poo hours so that I can have my daughter truly 50% of the time.

To have benefits.

To have upward mobility potential.

To feel productive.

To be able to provide a future for my daughter other than "well sweetie if you want to go to college you better get a scholarship or be prepared to live with student loan debt for the rest of your life"

#100 Jimbo

Jimbo

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationBlue Bayou

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:01 AM

I hate to sound corny, but the fact that you have those goals means your on the right track.  I would just keep plugging away and not get to stressed about it.  We'll all be dead in 100 years anyway.

#101 PantherMan89

PantherMan89

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:20 PM

Update on my situation. After having a lot more activity with interviews and such in recent weeks I was able to secure my first job in my career. This comes 6 months after graduating and plenty of job searching. The whole process has sucked but it feels good to finally get that opportunity. I am excited to finally put my degree to use.

#102 The Saltman

The Saltman

I have Returned

• Moderators
  • 24,884 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:39 PM

limits/derivatives/integrals FTL

#103 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,332 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:45 PM

Update on my situation. After having a lot more activity with interviews and such in recent weeks I was able to secure my first job in my career. This comes 6 months after graduating and plenty of job searching. The whole process has sucked but it feels good to finally get that opportunity. I am excited to finally put my degree to use.

Congrats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.