• Please log in to reply
238 replies to this topic

#141 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:41 AM

I am sure he is a good GM but a good GM can be frustrating.

When the team signed Tolbert i was almost angry, Tolbert was for me a useless intruder.

Today the bowling ball is my favorite player right after Smitty.

Tolbert was a Hurney addition.

#142 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

HUDDLER

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:44 AM

Yes I did take it as an insult to Smith and I believe that Smith was bothered by it as well. You don't tell the media that you're evaluating Smith while speaking of him in the past tense. You are right about one thing though, words do have meaning. 

It bothers me not because of WHAT was said, but that it was said in the public before it was ever said in private to Smitty. 89 is going to have a statue outside of this stadium one day. You don't treat those guys like that, new Sheriff in town or not. Especially when a year ago you did the exact opposite with Jordan Gross who also was coming off a very mediocre year....

#143 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• LocationDark Side of the Moon
HUDDLER

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:37 AM

No one is saying that Gettleman is intentionally trying to do harm to himself or the organization, but he is still a relatively green GM, and his handling of this Steve Smith situation is indicative of his inexperience.

Gettleman answered the Smith question exactly like he should have.  EVERY player is being evaluated....should they be upgraded, are they playing at a level comensurate with their salary/cap, etc

Gett is showing that everyone has to produce at a level that warrants their pay (no exceptions)....and this is the right thing to do.

#144 caatfan

caatfan

full of it

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:43 AM

I never loved Gettleman since I don't even know the guy. I wouldn't love him if the Panthers won the SB next year. I'm also not bothered by what he says for publication, or interested in analyzing how I think a particular player perceived what he said in the media. He gets paid to manage the team and sign the players we need to win games, just like Rivera gets paid to win with those players. He'll get my respect and admiration if his moves produce wins. If not, I'll be judging his replacement on the same terms.

#145 Toundra

Toundra

100% French meat

SUPPORTER

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:02 AM

Tolbert was a Hurney addition.

Too bad but imho this is a Rivera addition.

#146 jptaylor84

jptaylor84

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:06 AM

I've read this story a thousand times already, wasn't the question asked at the combine " is Steve smith still seem as the the #1 wide receiver for carolina next year?" To which gettleman answered "he's part of the evaluation" but also said "Steve's had a great career non of us are here forever"?
Wel that to me seems like an open comment and a fair answer to give, every guy on the roster should be under evaluation especially Steve smith as he's one of the bigger players on the team a leader of sorts, the remark about his longevity is also fair, one day like it or not carolina are going to have to move on from Steve smith.
My point is go back to articles and pieces written about this, key lines or words were missed out like is Steve the #1, it's been made out to sound like it was asked is he wanted, I don't doubt he plays next year for the panthers, I have no problem in gettleman going along with business as he sees fit, after all if he's winning what can we say?.

#147 Evengelion

Evengelion

HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:14 AM

The one that preceded the 12-4 season and playoff berth? Who gives a damn? Maybe if it was a 10 second pause we would've won the Super Bowl.

He can play that game with 35 y old Smith but I doubt he'll play that game with 24 y old Cam.

#148 PantherPhann89

PantherPhann89

CPP "Carolina Panther Phann"

• LocationSC
HUDDLER

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:16 AM

It bothers me not because of WHAT was said, but that it was said in the public before it was ever said in private to Smitty. 89 is going to have a statue outside of this stadium one day. You don't treat those guys like that, new Sheriff in town or not. Especially when a year ago you did the exact opposite with Jordan Gross who also was coming off a very mediocre year....

I agree and have said that in other posts, just not this one. 

#149 Match.com

Match.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA
HUDDLER

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:18 AM

So in his first year he cuts Gamble, and forces Gross into a restructure. Gamble retires.

In his second, Gross retires, G-Man treats Smitty like a has-been, and doesn't even bother with Munnerlyn.

Hurney was loyal to his guys to a fault. Think Gettleman is doing it right, or is he the anti-Hurney?

I just think he's trying to field the best player s

Sent from my SCH-I545 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#150 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

tengo baking soda

• LocationWinston-Salem, NC
HUDDLER

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:35 AM

never has so little been said in 10 pages.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users