* - - - - 6 votes

Eventually #89 will be told to leave. Get over it.

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#61 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,236 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:14 PM

By the way, let's not even put Britt in this convo, until the guy can keep his mind on the football field, he is no way shape or form an upgrade.

Or a player we're going to get anywhere near.

#62 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationCharleston SC

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:20 PM

Well I'm sorry man but it's a huge factor. As far as how much this new receiver will be paid, why would we cut a player who we say is overpaid, just to arguably overpay another receiver? That doesn't make much sense to me. If that's our option, let's just draft two receivers.

Steve Smith is not overpaid as a number 1 receiver.  He's overpaid relative to his production on the field for a number 1 receiver.  If he wasn't 35 coming off a knee injury (which is the big thing here)  and a lack luster season production wise he would be a bargain.  But he's not.  Fortunately for us there are options available around the same price range that would bring us more youth, and talent.  It would really allow Cam to take over this team.   

It's next to impossible to replace a Smitty in his prime....he's just not in his prime.  His drops have gone up, and he can't create the same separation anymore without getting away with offensive PI.   

Not to mention he's become a huge distraction.  It's just time to move on and finally finish becoming the new Carolina Panthers.  

#63 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationCharleston SC

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:23 PM

Or a player we're going to get anywhere near.

I didn't mention Britt as a primary replacement for Smith.  That's going to be Nicks.   I'm saying Britt could be a nice supplemental piece for the offense as a whole.....just could be a good gamble. That's all.  I agree that Britt isn't a legitimate number 1 replacement.  Nicks, Benjamin, Britt, Ginn, Olsen sounds pretty f'n good to me.

#64 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,933 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:24 PM

I wouldn't touch Kenny Britt with a ten foot police baton.

#65 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationCharleston SC

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:28 PM

I wouldn't touch Kenny Britt with a ten foot police baton.

People said the same thing about Adam Jones.....but he got it turned around and is working out well for Cincy.  Not every gamble pays off.....but I'd gamble on Britt for the league min.  Sorry I just disagree.

Players have a tendency to mature if they can make it out of their early 20's without completely fugging themselves.

#66 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,682 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:30 PM

Steve Smith is not overpaid as a number 1 receiver.  He's overpaid relative to his production on the field for a number 1 receiver.  If he wasn't 35 coming off a knee injury (which is the big thing here)  and a lack luster season production wise he would be a bargain.  But he's not.  Fortunately for us there are options available around the same price range that would bring us more youth, and talent.  It would really allow Cam to take over this team.   

It's next to impossible to replace a Smitty in his prime....he's just not in his prime.  His drops have gone up, and he can't create the same separation anymore without getting away with offensive PI.   

Not to mention he's become a huge distraction.  It's just time to move on and finally finish becoming the new Carolina Panthers.  

Let's please stop acting like Steve was the only one in our offense whose production dipped. Yes his knee is a concern, so your solution is to replace him with a guy who has a long list of injury problems himself? Who also by the way has some issues with making his team meetings.

Huge distraction? No. He didn't make the comments, Gettleman did. Enough with this Steve Smith is the boogeyman silliness.

#67 CatfanMO

CatfanMO

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts
  • LocationKC Mo

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:40 PM

Except we don't have a guy named Terell Owens on our roster.

I sure we could add TO to our roster...

#68 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationCharleston SC

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:42 PM

Let's please stop acting like Steve was the only one in our offense whose production dipped. Yes his knee is a concern, so your solution is to replace him with a guy who has a long list of injury problems himself? Who also by the way has some issues with making his team meetings.

Huge distraction? No. He didn't make the comments, Gettleman did. Enough with this Steve Smith is the boogeyman silliness.

Sorry you're a homer man....out of all our WR's his production is the one who dipped, and we won without him. You better be happy Nicks is available and the Giants chose to throw the money at Victor Cruz instead of him.  Without that we wouldn't even be able to afford him. 

Smith is a huge distraction....thus the 18000000093884893894803 threads about him.  He's beaten up teammates so bad it ended their career......see Taye Biddle....he had to accept an injury settlement after that.  Gettleman was telling the truth, and if he would have said the same thing about Byron Bell all of you detractors would be singing his praises.   He didn't though.....he told the truth about Smitty.....who apparently deserves special treatment over his teammates another reason while he needs to go.  Smitty thinks the rules don't apply to him.

#69 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationCharleston SC

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:42 PM

Sorry you're a homer man....out of all our WR's his production is the one who dipped, and we won without him. You better be happy Nicks is available and the Giants chose to throw the money at Victor Cruz instead of him.  Without that we wouldn't even be able to afford him. 

Smith is a huge distraction....thus the 18000000093884893894803 threads about him.  He's beaten up teammates so bad it ended their career......see Taye Biddle....he had to accept an injury settlement after that.  Gettleman was telling the truth, and if he would have said the same thing about Byron Bell all of you detractors would be singing his praises.   He didn't though.....he told the truth about Smitty.....who apparently deserves special treatment over his teammates another reason while he needs to go.  Smitty thinks the rules don't apply to him.

#70 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,682 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:46 PM

Homer? Oh no he didn't, somebody hold me back!

Really though. Which other receiver on our roster had 1,000 yards receiving in 2013?

It's not as if Steve Smith didn't just have nearly 1,200 yards in 2012 or anything. Oh, you mean he did?

If you are still that hung up on things that happened like 5 years ago or more, you are the one with the problem, not him. Sorry man.

#71 mjligon

mjligon

@mleezy53

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:54 PM

Sorry you're a homer man....out of all our WR's his production is the one who dipped, and we won without him. You better be happy Nicks is available and the Giants chose to throw the money at Victor Cruz instead of him. Without that we wouldn't even be able to afford him.

Smith is a huge distraction....thus the 18000000093884893894803 threads about him. He's beaten up teammates so bad it ended their career......see Taye Biddle....he had to accept an injury settlement after that. Gettleman was telling the truth, and if he would have said the same thing about Byron Bell all of you detractors would be singing his praises. He didn't though.....he told the truth about Smitty.....who apparently deserves special treatment over his teammates another reason while he needs to go. Smitty thinks the rules don't apply to him.

I didn't know Steve Smith beat up Taye Biddle.

Oh the things you learn on the Internetz!

#72 BANE

BANE

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationCollege

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:55 PM

What a crappy thread. OP, take 10 min before you click "post" next time. There's less of a chance of you posting crap if you just stop and think for a bit

#73 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationCharleston SC

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:14 PM

Homer? Oh no he didn't, somebody hold me back!

Really though. Which other receiver on our roster had 1,000 yards receiving in 2013?

It's not as if Steve Smith didn't just have nearly 1,200 yards in 2012 or anything. Oh, you mean he did?

If you are still that hung up on things that happened like 5 years ago or more, you are the one with the problem, not him. Sorry man.

No receiver had a 1000yds....not even close including Smith even though he made like 4 times more then the other receivers.....and more then our best weapon Greg Olsen who had more yards, receptions, and touchdowns.  

As bad as Lafell is perceived to be he only finished with like 135 fewer yards....and more td's and better ypc...same with Ginn.

I'm not hung up on what the guy did 2 years ago....that's what Hurney did.  I'm not arguing Steve Smith's past production.  I have a hard time believing he'll be able to replicate what he did two years ago after the knee injury and aging.  That's a crappy stuck in the past argument.  I don't get your point.

He had a decent year 2 years ago so we need to keep him?  Even though he hasn't been a viable redzone threat in like 3 or 4 years.   Even in that year he only had 4 tds.  Our problems on offensive side of the ball especially towards the end of the year was in the redzone....not from 20 to 20.  

Get me a guy that can catch a pass in the redzone other then Olsen who opponents focus on.

#74 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,682 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:22 PM

No receiver had a 1000yds....not even close including Smith even though he made like 4 times more then the other receivers.....and more then our best weapon Greg Olsen who had more yards, receptions, and touchdowns.  

As bad as Lafell is perceived to be he only finished with like 135 fewer yards....and more td's and better ypc...same with Ginn.

I'm not hung up on what the guy did 2 years ago....that's what Hurney did.  I'm not arguing Steve Smith's past production.  I have a hard time believing he'll be able to replicate what he did two years ago after the knee injury and aging.  That's a crappy stuck in the past argument.  I don't get your point.

He had a decent year 2 years ago so we need to keep him?  Even though he hasn't been a viable redzone threat in like 3 or 4 years.   Even in that year he only had 4 tds.  Our problems on offensive side of the ball especially towards the end of the year was in the redzone....not from 20 to 20.  

Get me a guy that can catch a pass in the redzone other then Olsen who opponents focus on.

We put a bigger emphasis on running the football last year. Steve Smith, and Greg Olsen have been Cam's go to guys, and their numbers from last year are pretty close splitting catches. Olsen had 2 more TD's, but the same average, and 71 more yards with 9 more receptions.

Lafell had one more TD than Smith, and basically disappeared at the end of the season, I've gone into that with you in another thread.

#75 RoaringRiot

RoaringRiot

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,699 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:25 PM

Why don't you look up Rice's stats after he left the 49ers  then tell me San Fran didnt make the right choice TO or not.

How did you miss the entire point? It's not about being right or wrong in moving on from the player, it's about having a viable replacement.

Red's right on this one.  Getting rid of Smitty because "it's time" when there is no replacement makes ZERO sense.  My only acceptance to the thought of losing him involves a clear replacement plan for the future.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com